About Sondai Fort Trek
Sondai is not such a famous fort near Karjat Chowk Phata. Sondai Fort Trek is nine kilometers from Karjat railway station. It offers a beautiful view of Morbe Dam, Prabalgad, Irshalgad, Rajmachi, Songiri forts, Karnala Fort, and the Matheran mountain range. Sondai Fort Karjat was used as a watchtower to protect the trade routes. Sondewadi and Wavarle are the base villages of Sondai Fort. Sondewadi village is situated at 1/4th height of this Fort.
There are two water cisterns, and steps are carved out of rocks to go to the topmost point where an idol of Sondai Devi stands. Two more water cisterns are on the way and have potable water. Waverle is another village from where a bit difficult approach to the fort passes through the dense forest. Sondai Trek, an iron ladder, has been installed. It has made the climb to the summit to seek the blessing of Sondai Devi temple safer for all the hikers and devotees. Sondai Fort difficulty level is ideal for beginners; kindly wear good trekking shoes for this trek. Sondai fort waterfall is known as Changewadi Waterfall located one kilometer away from the parking.
We offer the Sondai Fort trek from Mumbai our bus starts from Borivali to Sondewadi to Borivali. Ideal one-day Trek near Karjat for beginners and experienced trekkers alike. One of the most popular forts for trekking near Mumbai. Ideal for Corporate treks near Mumbai as you can return the same day.
Sondai Trek Event Details
- Base village for Sondai Killa is Sondewadi village
- Region: Karjat Sondai Fort
- Best Time to Visit: Monsoon
- Sondai Fort photos are available in the photo gallery
- Sondai Fort Height is 1200 feet or 366 metres above sea level
- Sondai Trek difficulty level is medium grade
- Sondai Fort Trekking endurance level is moderate grade
- Total time required for climbing Sondai Fort is 1.5 to 2 hours
- Duration: 1 Day
- Sondai Fort Trek distance is 1.5 kilometres one way
- Sondai Fort Trek height is 1200 feet
- Changewadi Waterfall distance is one kilometre away from parking.
- Sondai Fort, Distance from Mumbai: 70 km
- Sondai Fort, Distance from Pune: 115 km
- Karjat railway station to Sondai trek start point: 10 km
- Sondai Fort Trek price is 599 without transport and 1199 from Mumbai by bus.
- Sondai Fort trek route is well marked, has ladders for reaching the summit.
- Sondai Fort trek time will be total six hours
Receive a trekking E-certificate on completion of the Sondai Fort Karjat Trek
Sondai Trek Cost
- Participant without Transport: Rs. 599/- per (Coming by your own vehicle till Base Village)
- Participant with Transport: Rs. 899/- per person (Karjat to Karjat)
Attractions on the trek
- One kilometre away from parking is Sondai Fort Waterfall - Changewadi (Only in monsoon)
- Stunning views of the Morbe Dam and the Matheran Range.
- At the top is the Sondai Devi Temple.
- There are Water cisterns at the fort.
- You can climb to the Sondai fort summit using ladders.
Sondai Trek Upcoming Batches
March: 3, 10, 17, 24, 31
Sondai Trek Event Itinerary
Catch CSMT - Karjat fast local
CSTM - Karjat local timing
- 05:46 am - Mumbai CSMT
- 05:53 am - Byculla
- 05:59 am - Dadar
- 06:06 am - Kurla
- 06:10 am - Ghatkopar
- 06:25 am - Thane
- 06:41 am - Dombivli
- 06:50 am - Kalyan
- 07:43 am - Karjat
07:45 am - Meet at Karjat railway station, near ticket counter and move to Base Village by local vehicle.
08:15 am - Reach at Sondewadi and Breakfast.
08:45 am - Start ascending.
10:30 am - Reach on top and explore.
11:00 am - Start descending.
12:00 pm - Reach at Sondewadi and start the return journey towards Karjat railway station by local vehicle.
01:00 pm - Reach at Karjat railway station and disperse.
- People may board the same train from their respective stations of convenience.
- Missing the train is missing Sondai Trek, no refund will be provided.
- Please wear trekking shoes for this trek with good grip.
How to book?
- Click on the "BOOK NOW" button.
- Select your departure date and click on pay and book button.
- Select your ticket type and quantity. (If you have a coupon code, apply at this stage)
- Fill out your personal details and proceed with reviews & payment.
- Select your payment type (UPI, Debit Card, Credit Card, Net Banking) and proceed.
- Once your tickets are booked, you will receive confirmation via email. (Please provide valid email id)
- A WhatsApp group link will be sent to your WhatsApp number 8 hours prior to the departure. (Please provide WhatsApp number while booking)
- Event Details and Trek Leaders details will be shared on that WhatsApp group only.
Please note Sondai Fort Trekkers
- Please wear trekking shoes for this trek with a good grip.
- For direct people, You need to reach Sondewadi on your own.
- If you wrongly booked for a different date or batch. If you want to change the date within 3 days of departure, then transfer charges will be applied which will be Rs. 200/- per person.
- This itinerary is just a proposal we will try to match it, and there can be delays due to road traffic, bus breakdowns, road conditions, weather, group trekking speed, rush at the trekking destination, and many unforeseen situations; trekkers are requested to keep a time buffer to accommodate delays due to unseen problems.
What is included in the tour
- 1 veg Breakfast
- Karjat to Karjat travel by local vehicle (with transport)
- Trek Leader Expertise Charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Travel till Karjat and back (without transport)
- Entry fee for foreign nationals
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required
- 2/3 liters of water.
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek.
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 liters.
- Good Torch must with extra battery. (Must)
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars.
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets.
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen.
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine.
- Identity Proof.
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles.
Cancellation Policy and Charges
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to the event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If the event gets canceled we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
- If the event is canceled due to any natural calamity, political unrest or other such reasons beyond our control the same cancellation policy will apply.
- Refunds won't be issued if you cannot attend the event due to heavy rains, floods, traffic jams, car breakdowns or a personal medical emergency.
- Your booking cannot be shifted to another date if you cannot attend the event due to heavy rains, floods, traffic jams, car breakdowns, or a personal medical emergency.
- If your area is prone to flooding, traveling from a flooded area, heavy traffic, heavy rains, missing the train, or any other reason, if you cannot attend the event, we won't issue a refund or shift you to another date.
- Management won't be held responsible if you are stuck due to heavy rains, traffic jams, personal emergencies or floods during the event.
- If you are bringing kids, please understand the possibility of getting stuck or delayed. You might have to stay back due to heavy rains, floods, bus breakdowns, and rush at the trekking destination. We won't be able to refund or shift you to another date. You will have to wait it out till the weather clears.
- Due to bad weather, floods, sudden changes in government rules, and overcrowding at the destination trek, the organizer has the right to change the trekking destination.
- During the trek , due to any circumstances seen or unseen trek leader has the right to cancel the trek for safety reason. No refund shall be issued.
Treks and Trails Event Rules
- Kindly carry one Identity proof, at least for the trek with your address.
- We all are going for an adventurous and exciting trekking expedition; please Do Not misinterpret it as a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR.
- The leader's decision will be final, and all the members should abide by it.
- We do not destroy or dirty the archaeological, historical monuments, natural habitat on the trek.
- Swimming is not allowed in the lake or water tank on the forts. Locals use that water for drinking.
- Putting your feet in water tanks or on the canon is not allowed on our treks.
- Any addiction is strictly prohibited, e.g. drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco anyone caught doing it will have to exit the trek without a refund and travel back on own expense.
- People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
- Please do not carry or wear any valuables, ornaments, jewellery, etc. If carried, then we Do Not take any liability for the same.
- Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking, or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events, you are at your own risk. Organizers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner.
- We should strictly follow the code of conduct to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or outside.
- Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking.
- Bluetooth speaker not allowed inside the homestay or camping tents.
- Drinking/smoking,/eating is not allowed inside the tents.
- If you damage the tent, break the tent poles, you will have to pay us for the whole new tent on MRP.
- If you are late for the bus pickup and are not reachable on the phone during your bus pickup, the trek leader will leave without you, and we will provide no refund.
- Please check things to carry and wear trekking shoes on our treks.
Are you an adventurer who loves trekking? Completing a trek can be a life-changing experience that leaves you with unforgettable memories. To commemorate your achievement, TreksandTrails provides e-certificates to all participants who successfully complete their trek. These e-certificates include your name, the name of the trek you completed, the date of completion, and a digital signature from TreksandTrails. They are a perfect way to showcase your accomplishment to the world and share your trekking journey with your loved ones. By receiving an e-certificate from TreksandTrails, you can proudly display your achievement on your social media platforms and inspire others to embark on their own adventures.
Here are some FAQs about our e-certificates:
Q: What is an e-certificate for trekkers and hikers?
A: An e-certificate is a digital certificate awarded to participants upon completion of a trek or hike. It serves as proof of participation and achievement.
Q: How do I receive an e-certificate from TreksandTrails?
A: Upon completion of your trek or hike with TreksandTrails, you will be sent an email with a link to your e-certificate. You can download it from the link and save it on your device or share it on social media platforms.
Q: Can I share my e-certificate on social media platforms?
A: Yes, you can share your e-certificate on all social media platforms. The e-certificate is designed to be easily shareable, so you can show off your achievement to your friends and family.
Eligibility Criteria for a Trekking Certificate:
To be eligible for a trekking certificate, individuals must demonstrate adherence to safety rules, teamwork, and cooperation.
Participants must achieve the following requirements for earning a trekking certificate: completion of the trek; physical fitness; teamwork and cooperation; knowledge of safety rules; environmental awareness; a positive attitude; great attendance; and punctuality. We appreciate their commitment to the sport of trekking and acknowledge their achievements.
Sondai Fort Trek Blog | Sondewadi | Monsoon Trek from Pune & Mumbai
The peaceful hills surround a monsoon trek to Sondai Fort, located near the Morbe Lake Dam close to Karjat. This trek is perfect for those who want to explore new places, experience the serene beauty of the hills, and discover the unique lifestyle of the locals. Sondai Fort, a hidden gem in Karjat and part of the Matheran range, offers one of the best monsoon treks near Mumbai.
Sondai, named after the goddess Devi, was originally a watchtower and is not as well-known as other forts in the area. Situated approximately 6 km from Karjat, it overlooks the Karjat-Chauk highway and provides a stunning view of Morbe Dam and Prabalgad. Despite its small size, Sondai Fort stands out due to its strategic location and offers a 360-degree view of the surrounding mountains and the Morbe Dam, which serves as a water source for Navi Mumbai.
Although Sondai Fort lacks the fortifications and structures found in other forts, the flat plateau at the summit provides a unique charm. It served as a watchtower in the past and now holds religious significance for the locals. The absence of concrete ruins adds to the fort's rustic appeal. The summit plateau offers magnificent views of Morbe Dam, Prabalgad, Irshalgad, Karnala Fort, Rajmachi, Songiri Forts, and the Matheran mountain ranges.
In addition to the breathtaking views, Sondai Fort also offers glimpses of the Varvale Reservoir, creating a picturesque setting. The fort derives its name from the village of Sondewadi, where the locals worship the goddess Sondai Devi. Although there is no temple-like structure, a small idol of Goddess Sondai is placed under a tree, serving as a place of worship.
The Sondai Fort trek starts from Sondewadi village, which is located at a significant altitude. The trekking trail is well-defined and straightforward, taking you through jungles, rock patches, multiple iron ladders, and grassy fields. The hike to the top of Sondai Fort takes about 1-1.5 hours and is suitable for beginners or those returning to trekking after a long break. It is an ideal one-day hike for newcomers to the trekking world.
On the plateau near the pinnacle, you will find two water storage tanks and steps carved out of huge boulders leading to the summit where the idol of Sondai Devi stands. Ascending further, you will come across a dried cistern and a ladder on the right side for further exploration.
Sondai Fort is a hidden treasure in Karjat, not widely known but guaranteed to leave you awe-struck. It is one of the best treks to experience near Mumbai and Pune, offering a glimpse into the Matheran range.
1. Can we drive to the location of Sondai Fort, Sondewadi?
Yes, we will provide Google Maps coordinates to the base village where you can meet our team.
2. How can we reach Sondai Fort from Mumbai?
The distance from Mumbai to Sondewadi is 70 kilometers, and it takes approximately two hours to drive there.
3. How can we reach Sondai Fort from Pune?
The distance from Pune to Sondewadi is 115 kilometers, and it takes approximately three hours to drive there via the old express highway near Chowk Phata.
4. How many days are required for this hike?
One day is required for the Sondai Fort trek in Karjat. Sondai fort trek difficulty level is ideal for first-time trekkers from Mumbai and it requires medium-level endurance. Please invest in trekking shoes before going on a trek.
5. Is there food available on the Sondai Fort Trek?
No, there are no food options available at the base village. Please carry packed lunch for this trek.
6. How much time is required to climb Sondai Trek in Karjat?
Sondai Fort requires approximately one hour to climb. It is a small trek, and the summit can be explored in less than 30 minutes.
7. Where can we park our cars?
You can park your cars at the base village at your own risk.
8. Is there any parking charge?
Yes, there is a parking charge involved.
9. Are there toilets available on the Sondai Fort?
No, there are no toilets available during the trek or at the base village. We will stop at a restaurant for toilet facilities.
10. Do solo female travelers sign up for these events?
Yes, we have a good ratio of male and female participants in our events, and many solo female travelers join our treks.
11. Are kids allowed on treks?
Kids below 15 years are allowed on the trek with parental supervision.
12. What type of food will be provided?
Only vegetarian local home-cooked food is available.
13. Is there phone connectivity?
There is limited phone connectivity available for most cellular services.
14. Is cash payment or spot payment accepted?
Cash payment is not accepted. Registration requires 100% upfront payment through various online payment methods.
15. Will I get bottled water?
Normal well water is available. Please carry at least two liters of water for this trek.
16. Can I charge my phone?
There is no electricity available. Please carry a power bank if required.
17. How is the weather at Sondai Fort in Sondewadi, Maharashtra?
During summer, the temperature ranges from 20°C at night to 39°C during the day. In monsoon, heavy rainfall is expected, so please protect your phones and gadgets accordingly.
18. Can we smoke or drink alcohol?
No, smoking, chewing tobacco, drinking alcohol, smoking hookah, or using drugs are allowed on our treks. Violators will be asked to leave the event immediately.
19. Can we listen to music on Bluetooth speakers?
Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking. Bluetooth speakers are also not allowed inside the homestay. Enjoy the sounds of nature during the hike.
20. How can I make a payment?
You can make the payment online through our website by clicking on the "Book Now" button. For unlisted questions, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
21. How to trek with kids during a trek?
Trekking with kids can be a fantastic family adventure! Here are some tips to make it a great experience: Choose trails suitable for their age and abilities. Pack plenty of snacks, water, and their favorite treats to keep their energy up. Encourage them to explore and appreciate nature along the way. Take regular breaks for rest and games. Ensure they have comfortable shoes and dress in layers for the changing weather. Embrace the adventure together and create lasting memories. Have fun!
22. Which trek do you recommend for kids around Mumbai?
For kid-friendly treks near Mumbai, there are several options to choose from. Sondai, Karnala, and Lohagad offer scenic trails with moderate difficulty suitable for children. Prabalmachi, Matheran, and Korigad provide a mix of nature and historical exploration. Jambulmal and One Tree Hill are ideal for shorter treks with beautiful views. Dodhani Village in Matheran is another excellent choice for a family-friendly trek. Each of these destinations offers a unique experience and a chance for kids to connect with nature while enjoying the outdoors.
Kids trek near Mumbai - click here
23. Is it safe to go on a trek during monsoon in Maharashtra?
Trekking in Maharashtra during the monsoon season can be safe if proper precautions are taken. It is critical to choose well-maintained trails, listen to experienced guides, and stay up to date on weather conditions. Avoid going into unsafe regions or attempting dangerous river crossings. Always prioritize safety and be ready for slippery terrain and unpredictable weather.
24. How to protect your gadgets in a monsoon trek
To protect your gadgets during a monsoon trek, take essential precautions. Invest in waterproof covers or cases for your gadgets and use a dry bag or waterproof pouch to store them when not in use. Ziplock bags can provide additional protection. Place silica gel packs in your bags to absorb moisture. Use umbrellas or rain covers to shield your gadgets from rain. Avoid submerging them in water and consider backing up your data regularly. Carry power banks or extra batteries for backup power. Being cautious will help ensure the safety of your gadgets in wet conditions.
25. What should I pack for a monsoon trek in Maharashtra?
Pack essential items such as a waterproof backpack, rainproof jacket, quick-drying clothing, extra pairs of socks, trekking shoes with good grip, insect repellent, a waterproof cover for electronic devices, and a first aid kit. Carry enough water and energy snacks as well.
26. Are leeches a problem during monsoon treks in Maharashtra?
Yes, leeches can be encountered during monsoon treks in Maharashtra, especially in forested areas. To protect yourself, wear long socks, tuck your pants into your socks, and apply insect repellent on your legs. Carry a salt or lime solution to detach leeches if they attach to your skin.
27. What are some popular monsoon treks in Maharashtra?
Some popular monsoon treks in Maharashtra include Harishchandragad, Rajmachi, Andharban, Kalsubai, Bhimashankar, Tikona Fort, Torna Fort, Ratangad, Naneghat, and Visapur Fort. These treks offer scenic beauty and a unique experience during the monsoon season.
In case your question is not listed above, you can email us at email@example.com
Whatsapp 8828004949 ( Monday to Saturday, 11.30 am to 7.00 pm only )