About Sondai Fort Trek
Sondai is not such a famous fort near Karjat Chowk Phata. Sondai Fort Trek is nine kilometers from Karjat railway station. It offers a beautiful view of Morbe Dam, Prabalgad, Irshalgad, Rajmachi, Songiri forts, Karnala Fort, and Matheran mountain range. Sondai Fort Karjat was used as a watchtower to protect the trade routes. Sondewadi and Wavarle are the base villages of Sondai fort. Sondewadi village is situated at 1/4th height of this Fort.
There are two water cisterns on, and steps are carved out of rocks to go on the topmost point where an idol of Sondai Devi stands. Two more water cisterns are on the way and have potable water. Waverle is another village from where a bit difficult approach to the fort passes through the dense forest. Sondai trek, an iron ladder, has been installed. It has made the climb till the summit to seak the blessing of Sondai Devi temple safer for all the hikers and devotees.
Sondai Trek Event Details
- Sondai trek difficulty level: Medium
- Base village for Sondai: Sondewadi
- Region: Karjat
- Total time required for climbing Sondai Fort: Maximum 2 hrs
- Duration: 1 Day
Cost for Sondai Trek
- Cost without transport: Rs. 599/- per person
- Cost with transport: Rs. 1199/- per person
Sondai Fort Trek Event Itinerary
05:10 Meet at SGNP main gate, Borivali.
05:15 Leave for Sondai trek.
05:35 Pick up at WEH metro station bus stop, Andheri.
05:50 Pick up at Kalanagar bus stop (on the highway), Bandra.
06:10 Pick up at Sion station circle.
06:25 Pick up at Diamond Garden, Chembur.
06:45 Pick up at Vashi below the main bridge near Vashi Plaza.
07:15 Pick up at McDonald's, Kalamboli.
08:30 Reach base village and have breakfast.
09:00 Start ascending.
11:30 Reach the top and explore.
13:00 Start descending.
15:00 Reach base village and have a lunch.
16:00 Start return journey.
20:00 Approx. arrival at Mumbai.
- Please carry packed lunch for the trek
- Please wear trekking shoes for this trek with a good grip.
- Those who are coming by their own vehicle, please follow all covid-19 safety guideline and reach at base village on time.
- Due to above issue, if you come late or unable to come, will not provide any refund.
What is included in the tour
- 1 veg Breakfast
- Travel by private non-Ac vehicle (with transport option)
- Trek Leader Expertise Charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Lunch for the trek
- Travel till base village and back (without transport option)
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required
- 2/3 liters of water.
- Proper face mask or shield.
- Packed lunch for the trek
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek.
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 liters.
- Good Torch must with extra battery.
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars.
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets.
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen.
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine.
- Identity Proof.
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles.
- Rains are expected, so pack your bags accordingly to save them from getting wet.
- Double pack your valuables / phones in plastic bags.
- Rainwear / Poncho / Waterproof jacket etc. if you don’t want to get wet.
Covid Safety Guidelines
- Before planning for any adventure activity, please improve your minimum physical fitness. Most of us have been at home for a lockdown period.
- Please convey your real medical conditions to Treks and Trails India while enrolling for the event.
- Kindly wear three-layered masks, N95. Carry an extra disposable mask with you. Please ensure all participants, leaders, staff, and general persons wear masks before interacting with them.
- Carry with your hand wash, sanitizer bottle, and clean your hands before touching food and objects.
- Cover-up wear full sleeves shirts and full pants, hiking shoes, caps, and face bandana over your mask. Covering up will help reduce exposure to the Covid19 virus.
- Bring your food and water with necessary cutlery like utility mug, fork, and spoon. Your mug can be used for cooking, eating, and drinking water. Carry your reusable water bottles; please don’t share with others.
- Cooperate for temperature checks, questions reading any symptoms, and oxygen level checks; these are done to help you limit the spread of the virus. All these checks will be conducted multiple times during the activities.
- Kindly do not register for the event or travel if you have come in contact with someone who has Covid19 in the last 14 days.
- If you have any symptoms like fever, dry cough, weakness, body aches, etc., at the time of screening. You won't be able to participate in the event. You will have to be evacuated on the medical condition and should report to the nearest healthcare center.
- Maintain a distance of six feet or more while sleeping at night. Incase distance is not possible, try sleeping in a criss-cross manner to avoid face proximity.
- Please bring your garbage back to the city and dispose of it in your bin.
- Consuming any alcohol, cigarettes, pan masala, tobacco, drugs should be avoided; they induce a lot of spitting, urinating, and passive smoke, which can be harmful for the general population.
- Avoid touching new surfaces and touching your mask and face continuously.
- If your adventure destination is overcrowded, be prepared to change your location or wait for the crowd to reduce.
- If any participant, trek leader test positive after returning from the event within 14 days of the Activity. They should maintain transparency and inform Treks and Trails India. It will help all others isolate themselves and get tested. Participants and Treks and Trails will cooperate to help manage the situation.
- Carry your own personal gear.
- Keep the conversation with unknown people to a minimum and maintain a distance of more than 6 feet while talking.
- Avoid speaking with the general population and maintain distance to keep yourself safe in these difficult times.
- Participant need to install the Arogya Setu app
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If Trek get cancelled, we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
- If the event is canceled due to any natural calamity, political unrest or other such reasons beyond our control the same cancellation policy will apply.
Frequently asked questions
1. Can we drive till Sondai Fort location, Sondewadi?
Yes, we will provide google maps coordinates till the base village. You can meet our team at the location.
2. How to reach Sondai Fort from Mumbai?
The distance from Mumbai to Sondewadi is 70 kilometers. It will take two hours drive from Mumbai.
3. How to reach Sondai Fort from Pune?
The distance from Pune to Sondewadi is 115 kilometers. It will take three hours drive from Pune on the old express highway near Chowk phata.
4. The number of days required for this hike?
One day is required for Sondai Karjat.
5. Is there food available on Sondai Fort Trek?
No, there is no Food options available at base village. Please carry packed lunch for this trek.
6. How much time required to climb Sondai Trek Karjat?
Sondai Fort requires one hour to climb; it is a small trek. The summit is small; it would require less than 30 minutes to explore the Fort.
7. Where can we park our cars?
Base Village at your own risk.
8. Is there any parking charge?
Yes, the parking charge is involved.
9. Is the toilet available on the Sondai fort?
Not available. During the trek, toilets are not available.
Toilets are not available at the base village.
We will stop at the Restaurant for Toilet.
10. Do Single travelers female sign up for these events?
We have 60 - 40 % or more Male - Female ratios on our events.
Many Single Travelling Female join our events.
11. Are kids allowed on treks?
Kids below 15 years with Parent supervision only are allowed on the trek.
12. What type of food will be provided?
Only Veg local home-cooked food is available.
13. Phone connectivity?
Limited phone connectivity is available for most cellular services.
14. Is cash payment or spot payment accepted?
Cash payment is not accepted.
Registration against 100% upfront payment only via Paytm / UPI / NEFT / IMPS / Payment Gateway / Gpay / Phonepay.
On the spot payment, they are not accepted.
We need to book in advance bus/jeep and make other arrangements upfront payment is a must.
15. Will I get bottled water?
Normal well water shall be available. Please carry two liters of water for this trek.
16. Can I charge my phone?
No electricity. Please carry a power bank if required.
17. How is the weather now at Sondai Fort Sondewadi, Maharashtra ?
Summer Temperature Night 20oC - Day 39°C approx.
Monsoon rains very heavily please double pack your expensive phones and gadgets.
18. Can we smoke or drink alcohol?
NO. People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
19. Can we listen to music on Bluetooth speakers?
Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking, Bluetooth speakers are not allowed inside homestay.
20. How do I make payment?
You can pay online on our website click on book now button
In case your question is not listed above you can email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Sondai Fort Trek Blog | Sondewadi | Monsoon Trek from Pune & Mumbai
The peaceful hills surround a Monsoon trek to Sondai Fort, close to the Morbe Lake Dam, near Karjat. Go trekking near Mumbai & Pune. Sondai fort is a hidden beauty of Karjat. This Fort is a part of the Matheran range. This is one of the best treks to visit during monsoons near Mumbai. Sondai is the name of Devi and hence the mountain named Sondai fort, which was a watchtower. Our blog is better than Sondai fort wikipedia.
Sondai is not a famous or unknown fort, stands approx 6 km of Karjat overlooking the Karjat-Chauk highway, and offers a beautiful view of Morbe Dam, Prabalgad. If you're a person who loves to be surrounded by the peaceful hills, explore new places, and discover different people's lifestyle, then the Sondai Fort trek is a must for you!
A quaint fort nestled in the Sahyadri mountain ranges, Sondai is not known by the many; therefore, it provides a soulful trekking experience to its climbers with a rustic, old-world charm.
Sondai fort is a fragment of the Matheran mountain range yet unique from other defenses; There is no fortification existing apart from some water cisterns on Sondai Killa. Sondaigad provides a great 360 view of the surrounding mountains and Morbe Dam water source for Navi Mumbai.
Sondai is a fort, but there is no evidence of parapets or structures, the top of the defense is a flat plateau with no concrete ruins. Back in the day, it was used as a watchtower, now a pilgrimage site for locals. The reason being it stands 6 kilometers west of Karjat overlooking the Karjat-Chowk highway. Sondai Killa an extremely strategic location for surveillance.
Although slight in surface area, the summit plateau of Sondai wraps in the magnanimous sights of Morbe Dam, Prabalgad, Irshalgad, Karnala fort, Rajmachi, Songiri forts, and Matheran mountain ranges, big things come in small packages.
Along with the Morbe Dam, which is spread like an open waterbody straight out of an Atlas, on a crisp morning with vivid blue skies, Sondai also blesses us with splendid views of Varvale Reservoir.
Maharashtra has numerous hamlets, and each of them has a local deity that is worshipped by the natives. Usually, the forts in Maharashtra derive their names from these local deities. The village of Sondewadi pays its respects to goddess Sondai Devi, hence the name Sondai Fort.
There is a small temple of Goddess Sondai on the summit of Sondai Fort. There is a small Sondai Devi idol. However, there is no temple-like structure, but the tree under which the model is placed serves as its temple.
Sondai fort trek commences from Sondewadi village. The base village of Sondewadi stands on a substantial stature. The trekking course is well-defined and straightforward till the topmost point, Sondai fort. The trail passes through jungle, rock patches, multiple iron ladders, and grassy fields.
It is a simple 1-1.5 hrs hike from the base village of Sondewadi and idyllic for novices or those who are trekking after a long time. Overall, it is a perfect one-day hike for tenderfoots who have stepped into the trekking world.
There are two water storage tanks on the plateau at the foot of the pinnacle, and steps are cut out of huge boulders to reach the summit where an idol of Sondai Devi stands. After climbing the carved stairs, one can see a dried cistern; on the right side, a ladder is available to ascend.
Sondai fort is a veiled delight of Karjat. It is not a popular destination, yet it will take your breath away without a doubt! A part of the Matheran range is one of the best treks to visit all-round near Mumbai and Pune.