About Sondai Fort Trek
Sondai is not such a famous fort near Karjat Chowk Phata. Sondai Fort Trek is nine kilometers from Karjat railway station. It offers a beautiful view of Morbe Dam, Prabalgad, Irshalgad, Rajmachi, Songiri forts, Karnala Fort, and Matheran mountain range. Sondai Fort Karjat was used as a watchtower to protect the trade routes. Sondewadi and Wavarle are the base villages of Sondai fort. Sondewadi village is situated at 1/4th height of this Fort.
There are two water cisterns on, and steps are carved out of rocks to go on the topmost point where an idol of Sondai Devi stands. Two more water cisterns are on the way and have potable water. Waverle is another village from where a bit difficult approach to the Fort passes through the dense forest. Sondai trek, an iron ladder, has been installed. It has made the climb till the summit to seak the blessing of Sondai Devi temple safer for all the hikers and devotees.
Sondai Fort Monsoon Trek Event Itinerary
Sondai fort from Mumbai
Train option for Mumbai participants - Catch CSMT - Karjat local
CSTM - Karjat local timing
- 06:10 CSMT
- 06:18 Byculla
- 06:24 Dadar
- 06:31 Kurla
- 06:35 Ghatkopar
- 06:49 Thane
- 06:57 Dombivali
- 07:02 Kalyan
- 08:05 Karjat
Sondai fort from Pune
Train options for Pune participants - Board Sinhgad express from Pune
- 06.05 Pune
- 06:10 Shivaji Nagar
- 06:28 Pimpri
- 06:33 Chinchwad
- 07:13 Lonavala
- 07:58 Karjat
Day One - Sondai Killa short itinerary
- 08:05 Meet our trek leader at Karjat railway station, near the ticket counter.
- 08:15 Move to Base Village by Tumtum / ST bus.
- 08:45 Reach at Sondewadi and Breakfast on the way you can use toilets here.
- 09:15 Introduction with Trek Leader and Hiker group
- 09:30 Trek route and Green trails information session
- 09:45 Small Warm-up session before the start of the trek
- 10:00 Sondai Fort Sondewadi trek begins - Sondai fort trek difficulty level is easy to medium with few thrilling patches good trekking shoes are must on this hike.
- Noon Reach on top and explore information about Sondai Fort. Sondai fort height is 1200 feet above sea level.
- 13:30 After capturing the beautiful mountain, dam, waterfall views around us, and enjoying the weather and feeling refreshed, we will begin our descend to the base village.
- 14:30 Reach at Sondewadi and Lunch.
- 16:30 Journey towards Karjat railway station by Tumtum / ST bus.
- 17:00 Reach at Karjat railway station
- People may board the same train from their respective stations of convenience.
- Missing the train is missing Sondai Monsoon Trek, no refund will be provided, transfer to another date, transfer to another person will be accepted
- Please carry packed lunch.
- Please wear trekking shoes for this trek with a good grip.
- Carry set of dry clothes and sandals to change into after the trek.
What is included in the tour
- 1 veg Breakfast
- Travel Karjat to Karjat by local tumtum/bus
- Trek Leader Expertise Charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Lunch for the Day is Exluded
- Travel cost from Mumbai/Pune to Karjat and back
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required
- 2/3 liters of water.
- Lunch for the trek.
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars.
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets.
- Good Torch must with extra battery.
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek.
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 liters.
- Rains are expected, so pack your bags accordingly to save them from getting wet.
- Double pack your valuables / phones in plastic bags.
- Rainwear / Poncho / Waterproof jacket etc. if you don’t want to get wet.
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen.
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine.
- Identity Proof.
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles.
Frequently asked questions
1. Can we drive till Sondai Fort location, Sondewadi?
Yes, we will provide google maps coordinates till the base village. You can meet our team at the location.
2. How to reach Sondai Fort from Mumbai?
The distance from Mumbai to Sondewadi is 70 kilometers. It will take two hours drive from Mumbai.
3. How to reach Sondai Fort from Pune?
The distance from Pune to Sondewadi is 115 kilometers. It will take three hours drive from Pune on the old express highway near Chowk phata.
4. The number of days required for this hike?
One day is required for Sondai Karjat.
5. Is there food available on Sondai Fort Trek?
No, there is no Food options available at base village. Please carry packed lunch for this trek.
6. How much time required to climb Sondai Trek Karjat?
Sondai Fort requires one hour to climb; it is a small trek. The summit is small; it would require less than 30 minutes to explore the Fort.
7. Where can we park our cars?
Base Village at your own risk.
8. Is there any parking charge?
Yes, the parking charge is involved.
9. Is the toilet available on the Sondai fort?
Not available. During the trek, toilets are not available.
Toilets are not available at the base village.
We will stop at the Restaurant for Toilet.
10. Do Single travelers female sign up for these events?
We have 60 - 40 % or more Male - Female ratios on our events.
Many Single Travelling Female join our events.
11. Are kids allowed on treks?
Kids below 15 years with Parent supervision only are allowed on the trek.
12. What type of food will be provided?
Only Veg local home-cooked food is available.
13. Phone connectivity?
Limited phone connectivity is available for most cellular services.
14. Is cash payment or spot payment accepted?
Cash payment is not accepted.
Registration against 100% upfront payment only via Paytm / UPI / NEFT / IMPS / Payment Gateway / Gpay / Phonepay.
On the spot payment, they are not accepted.
We need to book in advance bus/jeep and make other arrangements upfront payment is a must.
15. Will I get bottled water?
Normal well water shall be available. Please carry two liters of water for this trek.
16. Can I charge my phone?
No electricity. Please carry a power bank if required.
17. How is the weather now?
Summer Temperature Night 20oC - Day 39°C approx.
Monsoon rains very heavily please double pack your expensive phones and gadgets.
18. Can we smoke or drink alcohol?
NO. People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
19. Can we listen to music on Bluetooth speakers?
Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking, Bluetooth speakers are not allowed inside homestay.
20. How do I make payment?
You can pay online on our website click on book now button
In case your question is not listed above you can email us email@example.com
Sondai Fort Trek Blog | Sondewadi | Monsoon Trek from Pune & Mumbai
The peaceful hills surround a Monsoon trek to Sondai Fort, close to the Morbe Lake Dam, near Karjat. Go trekking near Mumbai & Pune. Sondai fort is a hidden beauty of Karjat. This Fort is a part of the Matheran range. This is one of the best treks to visit during monsoons near Mumbai. Sondai is the name of Devi and hence the mountain named Sondai fort, which was a watchtower.
Sondai is not a famous or unknown fort, stands approx 6 km of Karjat overlooking the Karjat-Chauk highway, and offers a beautiful view of Morbe Dam, Prabalgad. If you're a person who loves to be surrounded by the peaceful hills, explore new places, and discover different people's lifestyle, then the Sondai Fort trek is a must for you!