About Peb Fort Trek
Trekking near Mumbai to Peb Fort or Vikatgad around four km from Neral Railway Station. Peb Fort is a delightful trek in the Monsoon season. Also known as the Vikatgad Trek, the hike passes through a local village and many waterfalls. The Trek near the Foothills of Matheran's offers all that a trekker can ask for climbing ladders, navigating rock patches, ancient caves, dense forest, ridge walking, pleasant weather. Peb Fort Trek can be combined with a Matheran visit, or you can trek till Panorama point Matheran. Excellent for new trekkers, a village guide or guided tour will make the Trek more enjoyable.
Peb Fort History
It is assumed that this fort derived its name Peb from the 'Goddess Pebi' at the base of the fort. Historical references indicate that Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj used the caves on the fort as silos for grain storage.
The cave on the fort is occupied by disciples of Swami Samarth, a great saint. They have contributed a lot to the development of this fort for the last ten years. They have managed successfully to keep the cave and the fort clean and maintained the dignity of the Peb fort. Near to this cave are meditation caverns, which are underground. These caverns are still in good condition. One has to crawl into these, and only one man can enter at one time.
In monsoon, two of these are filled with water. On the top, we can go by climbing the fort's wall; On the top, we can see some remnants. The main attraction here is the bastion on the topmost part. Bastion faces the mountain of Matheran. Here we can see the ridge connecting the mountains of Matheran and Peb. When we stand here, we feel like to be at the top of the world.
On the other side of the fort is a temple of a deity. Here is a big cistern. The disciples are constructing a good temple here. We can reside here for some time. The beautiful waterfall on the way is the main attraction here. The surrounding scenery looks marvellous from the cave in the monsoon. We also see the pinnacles of Navara-Navari, Bhatoba and Irshalgad Fort, and Chanderi Fort, Prabalgad Fort, Kalavantin Durg and Malanggad and also Nakhind Ridge. This trekking is pleasant in all seasons.
Peb Fort Trek Event Details
- Peb Fort Height is 2100 feet above sea level
- Peb Fort Type is Hill Fort
- District Raigad
- Peb Fort Trek Difficulty is Medium and Risky
- Peb Trek nearest railway station is Neral
Cost for Vikatgad Trek
- Cost without transport: Rs. 699/- per person
- Cost with transport: Rs. 1299/- per person
Peb Fort Trek Event Itinerary
05:10 Meet at SGNP main gate, Borivali.
05:15 Leave for Peb trek.
05:35 Meet at WEH metro station bus stop, Andheri.
05:50 Pick up at Kalanagar bus stop (on the highway), Bandra.
06:10 Pick up at Sion station circle.
06:25 Pick up at Diamond Garden, Chembur.
06:45 Pick up at Vashi below the main bridge near Vashi Plaza.
07:15 Pick up at McDonald's, Kalamboli.
07:45 Karjat phata (Chowk) - Meeting point for direct people.
08:30 Reach base village and have breakfast.
09:00 Start ascending.
12:00 Reach the top and explore.
13:00 Start trek towards junction point.
Have a packed lunch on the way.
16:00 Start return journey towards Neral by local taxi.
16:30 Reach Neral and start return journey towards Mumbai.
20:30 Approx. arrival at Mumbai.
- Please carry packed lunch for this trek
- Please wear trekking shoes for this trek with a good grip.
- Those who are coming by their own vehicle, please follow all covid-19 safety guideline and reach at base village on time.
- Due to above issue, if you come late or unable to come, will not provide any refund.
What is included in the tour
- 1 veg Breakfast
- Travel by private non-Ac bus (with transport option)
- Local jeep cost
- Trek Leader Expertise Charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Lunch for the trek
- Travel till base village and back (without transport option)
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required
- 2/3 liters of water.
- Lunch for the trek
- Proper face mask or shield.
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek.
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 liters.
- Good Torch must with extra battery.
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars.
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets.
- Rains are expected, so pack your bags accordingly to save them from getting wet.
- Double pack your valuables / phones in plastic bags.
- Rainwear / Poncho / Waterproof jacket etc. if you don’t want to get wet.
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen.
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine.
- Identity Proof.
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles.
Covid Safety Guidelines
- Before planning for any adventure activity, please improve your minimum physical fitness. Most of us have been at home for a lockdown period.
- Please convey your real medical conditions to Treks and Trails India while enrolling for the event.
- Kindly wear three-layered masks, N95. Carry an extra disposable mask with you. Please ensure all participants, leaders, staff, and general persons wear masks before interacting with them.
- Carry with your hand wash, sanitizer bottle, and clean your hands before touching food and objects.
- Cover-up wear full sleeves shirts and full pants, hiking shoes, caps, and face bandana over your mask. Covering up will help reduce exposure to the Covid19 virus.
- Bring your food and water with necessary cutlery like utility mug, fork, and spoon. Your mug can be used for cooking, eating, and drinking water. Carry your reusable water bottles; please don’t share with others.
- Cooperate for temperature checks, questions reading any symptoms, and oxygen level checks; these are done to help you limit the spread of the virus. All these checks will be conducted multiple times during the activities.
- Kindly do not register for the event or travel if you have come in contact with someone who has Covid19 in the last 14 days.
- If you have any symptoms like fever, dry cough, weakness, body aches, etc., at the time of screening. You won't be able to participate in the event. You will have to be evacuated on the medical condition and should report to the nearest healthcare center.
- Maintain a distance of six feet or more while sleeping at night. Incase distance is not possible, try sleeping in a criss-cross manner to avoid face proximity.
- Please bring your garbage back to the city and dispose of it in your bin.
- Consuming any alcohol, cigarettes, pan masala, tobacco, drugs should be avoided; they induce a lot of spitting, urinating, and passive smoke, which can be harmful for the general population.
- Avoid touching new surfaces and touching your mask and face continuously.
- If your adventure destination is overcrowded, be prepared to change your location or wait for the crowd to reduce.
- If any participant, trek leader test positive after returning from the event within 14 days of the Activity. They should maintain transparency and inform Treks and Trails India. It will help all others isolate themselves and get tested. Participants and Treks and Trails will cooperate to help manage the situation.
- Carry your own personal gear.
- Keep the conversation with unknown people to a minimum and maintain a distance of more than 6 feet while talking.
- Avoid speaking with the general population and maintain distance to keep yourself safe in these difficult times.
- Participant need to install the Arogya Setu app
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If Trek get cancelled, we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
- If the event is canceled due to any natural calamity, political unrest or other such reasons beyond our control the same cancellation policy will apply.
Treks and Trails Event Rules
- Kindly carry one Identity proof, at least for the trek with your address.
- We all are going for an adventurous and exciting trekking expedition; please Do Not misinterpret it as a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR.
- The leader's decision will be final, and all the members should abide by it.
- We do not destroy or dirty the archaeological, historical monuments, natural habitat on the trek.
- Swimming is not allowed in the lake or water tank on the forts. Locals use that water for drinking.
- Putting your feet in water tanks or on the canon is not allowed on our treks.
- Any addiction is strictly prohibited, e.g. drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco anyone caught doing it will have to exit the trek without a refund and travel back on own expense.
- People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
- Please do not carry or wear any valuables, ornaments, jewellery, etc. If carried, then we Do Not take any liability for the same.
- Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking, or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events, you are at your own risk. Organizers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner.
- We should strictly follow the code of conduct to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or outside.
- Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking.
- Bluetooth speaker not allowed inside the homestay or camping tents.
- Drinking/smoking,/eating is not allowed inside the tents.
- If you damage the tent, break the tent poles, you will have to pay us for the whole new tent on MRP.
- If you are late for the bus pickup and are not reachable on the phone during your bus pickup, the trek leader will leave without you, and we will provide no refund.
- Please check things to carry and wear trekking shoes on our treks.
Frequently Asked Questions Peb Fort Vikatgad?
Why Should you Join Peb Fort Vikatgad Trek?
Mumbai trekkers know the Hill Station of Matheran for its grand landscapes and peaceful environment. However, there is a lesser-known gem hidden within it: Peb Fort, also called Vikatgad Trek. Peb fort is located at the southernmost point of Matheran and offers breathtaking views of Neral on one side and Horseshoe Point. This Matheran trek surrounded by impenetrable forests will make you feel like you have been brought to another planet.
Peb trek is a short but challenging trek that awaits hikers willing to go through this beautiful yet rugged terrain that bends up and down steep hills with little space between them. You can also take advantage of rock climbing or waterfalls nearby! Vikatgad Peb fort is perfect for those who want a trek without having to travel far from Mumbai.
How to reach Peb Trek Base village Anandwadi?
Anandwadi is located within walking distance from Neral Station on the Central railway. Your return train ticket will cost Rs 60 from CSMT to Neral railway station. Neral is also the nearest railway station to Matheran. Trek groups Mumbai organise the Peb Trek on weekends from Mumbai and Thane.
How many routes are available for Peb Fort Trek?
Tucked away in the Matheran is a hidden treasure of Maharashtra. The monsoon season brings about its most charming side as rich green woodlands are covered with fog blankets. Trek to Peb Fort near Karjat
is one such trail that provides spectacular views, waterfalls and rock climbing opportunities all in one day.
Five trek routes join at the Peb fort, and Mumbai trekkers prefer Neral to Anandwadi to Peb Fort to Junction 134 on the Neral Matheran road. If you plan to descend instead of climbing, you can start the trek from Junction 134. It is advisable to join a trekking group in Mumbai for this trek near Karjat.
The other three routes are we suggest guides and post-monsoon season for the below three treks.
- Vangani to Nakhind Ridge to Peb Fort to Junction 134
- Panvel to Maldunge village to Peb fort
- Vaghachi wadi to Peb Fort
Is there a water source available on the Peb Fort?
It is better to carry your water and packed food for Vikatgad Peb Trek. Most water sources are polluted on the trek.
Are there waterfalls on Peb Fort trek?
Tapalwadi Waterfall and Anandwadi Waterfall are sister waterfalls situated at the base of Peb fort. There are many waterfalls near Junction 134 on Neral Matheran Road.
How difficult is the Peb fort trek route?
The hiking trail near Matheran is crowded during the weekends, and thousands of trekkers either descend or ascend the Peb fort trek route. Trek route is slippery in sections, has one rock climbing patch, a large traverse, few steel ladders to climb and descend. Good hiking shoes are a must for this trek. Watch out for falling rocks on the Peb Vikatgad.
Can we pitch a camping tent on Matheran trekking at Peb Vikatgad Trek?
Camping is not allowed by the forest department on the Vikatgad fort trek route.
Famous trekking in Matheran routes?
Matheran is a hill station near Mumbai. Maharashtra trekkers from all over come to Matheran for its scenic beauty, including waterfalls, caves, and rock climbing opportunities. Some of the popular Matheran trek routes are available in the area are Peb Trek, Dodhani to Matheran Trek, Garbett Point Trek, One Tree Hill Point Trek. You'll see numerous different kinds of plants, snakes and animals along the way as you get closer to your destination.