Prabalgad Fort located between Matheran and Panvel; the trek can be completed in one day. Prabalmachi trek is more enjoyable with camping at Prabalmachi village. Prabalgad built at the height of 2300 feet above sea level in the Sahyadris Mountain Range, Prabalgad Fort settled on a top of a plateau. Prabalgad consists of a sister fort, which named Irshalgad Fort—situated in the vicinity of the main fort. Irshalgad is comparatively smaller in area. However, there is numerous water reservoir cut from the rock for rainwater harvesting. The Kalavantin Durg located next to Prabalgad Killa. Prabalmachi is the base village for Kalavantin Trek and Prabalgad Trek; you can also camp at Prabalmachi village.
The Killa was earlier recognized as Muranjan till the Maratha powers renamed it under Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj's command. Prabalgad has a considerable plateau, densely forested famous for fireflies during summer. Prabalgad hill station plans were discussed and studied. There is a shortage of water that made it difficult.
Prabalgad Fort Details
- Prabalgad Height 2300 feet
- Prabalgad Level Easy
- Prabalgad Trekking Time 1 and ½ hours
- Prabalgad Weather - Hot during the day and Pleasant at Night
- Best time to visit Prabalgad Monsoon and Winter Season
Places to see near Prabalgad
How to Reach Prabalgad Fort
- Distance from Mumbai is 48.5 km via Sion Panvel Expressway
- Distance from Pune is 117.6 km via Mumbai Pune Expressway
- The Fort is Visible from Mumbai - Pune Express Highway
- Train travel to Panvel, and you can hire six-seater auto-rickshaw, which are available from Gandhi Hospital and Old Panvel.
- Another choice is to board the hourly State Transport bus at Panvel Bus Depot to Thakurwadi, and from Thakurwadi onwards, you can complete your journey to the fort on foot.
- The vehicle does not go to the Prabal machi village. You will have to park near Thakurwadi village at your own risk.
Things to do Prabalgad
- Experience the chilled air
- Camping at Prabalmachi
- Photographing Kalavantin Durg from Prabalgad
- Trekking till Irshalgad from Prabalmachi
- You can also attempt the combined trek of Kalavantin Durg, Prabalgad, and Irshalgad.