Gherakilla Manikgad, a hill fort situated 27 km from Panvel among the rolling hills. Home to a popular temple famous among hikers. Manikgad Fort Trek near Vashivali Rasayani MIDC. Manikgad Fort established to guard and command the commerce route from seaside harbours to Maval Pune. Sarkhel Kanhoji Angre built Manikgad Killa, Peshavas ceded Manikgad to him in 1718.
Things to see at Manikgad Fort Trek
The remains in ruins in the current date and require restoration. You can see Darya Take a large rock-cut water tank on the fort built to harvest rainwater. These tanks are essential as they improve water table for wells in the nearby area. You can visit Shiva Linga and few rock-cut water tanks used in the past for rainwater harvesting. Ganesh door is the single standing construction. A round trench cut in the stone for mixing lime can be seen on the fort. There are many nearby forts which you can see from Manikgad Fort on a clear day; these include Prabalgad Fort, Chanderi Fort, Malanggad Fort, Irshalgad Fort, Sondai Killa, and Sankshi fort.
The fort is defended naturally from three sides and was secure from these three sides. You could only reach the fort summit from the south. Fort trek comes under easy grade, and average level endurance is required to Summit the fort.
Manikgad Fort Information
- Fort Height 1878 feet above sea level
- Base village Washivali minus 161 feet above sea level
- Total ascent 1734 feet on Manikgad Trek
- Total trek distance 5 kilometres one way
- The time required for this trek five hours ascend and descend.
Manikgad Fort Trek Itinerary
Day One: Please board the below train and meet our team at Panvel railway station near the ticket counter.
CSMT to Panvel Training Timing on the Harbour Railway Line.
- 06:00 am CSMT
- 06:18 am Vadala Road
- 06:29 am Kurla Junction
- 06:48 am Vashi
- 07:18 am Panvel
Thane to Panvel train timings
- 06:19 am Thane
- 06:48 am Nerul
- 07:10 am Panvel
- 07:30 - Reach the ticket counter at Panvel railway station
- 07:30 - Meet Treks and Trails team
- 07:45 - We will leave for the base village in Private rickshaws
- 09:15 - Reach the starting point and have local breakfast
- 09:30 - Freshen up
- 09:45 - Trek instruction and group introduction
- 10:00 - Trek starts approx 5 km one way
- 13:00 - Reach top of Manikgad Fort. Enjoy the views and explore
- 13:30 - Enjoy and Share Lunch
- 14:30 - Start return trek to the base village
- 16:30 - Reach the base village
- 17:15 - Return journey to Panvel railway station begins
- 18:30 - Reach Panvel railway station
What is included in the tour
- Panvel to Panvel transport by local tumtum or bus or rickshaw
- One breakfast and tea
- One evening tea
- Trek Leader expertise
What is NOT included in the tour
- Anything not mentioned in inclusions
- Train tickets
- Please carry one time lunch for this trek