Kalsubai Peak Trek from Pune
The Kalsubai Peak is a trek that offers natural surroundings from waterfalls and forests to grasslands. The highest peak of the state of Maharashtra at 5,400 feet or 1646 meters above the sea level high provides breathtaking views across all of Bhandardara, which is easily accessible via Pune.
The Kalsubai Temple is at the mountain's peak, and pilgrims from nearby villages come to take her blessings. It's believed that a young village girl called Kalsubai lived in those hills. She used to cure villagers and animals and help with pursuits like agriculture. One day the girl left for the summit, but nevermore returned, so to remember her, the villagers built this small temple on her home on the mountainside while the main temple was built on the mountain's peak.
The Kalsubai trek offers views of many strong forts like Alang, Madan, Kulang, Ratangad Fort, Ajoba Parvat, Bhandardara Lake and Wilson Dam. Trekking to these forts is famous among Maharashtra trekkers post-monsoon season. You can also see fireflies before the monsoon on the Kalsubai trek route. A thick blanket of clouds covers the skyline below the mountain, creating a cloud carpet visible for miles, only visible pre-monsoon for few weeks. On a clear day, you also get grand views of other surrounding forts such as Harihargad, Harishchandragad, and Katrabai. Many experienced trekkers combine these treks for the added experience!
During the monsoon season, the peak is covered with never-moving fog and high-speed winds. Only day treks are possible during the monsoon season. Post-monsoon night treks are conducted due to the hot and humid weather conditions, and they are popular among hikers for the amazing sunrise views.
Kalsubai Trek Event Details
- Kalsubai Trek Difficulty Level Medium
- Kalsubai Trek Endurance Level High
- Base Village Kalsubai Trek - Bari
- Minimum Required - 6 pax
- Region: Igatpuri / Bhandardara
- Total time required for climbing Kalsubai Peak 4 hours one way
- Duration 1 Night 1 Day
- Climbing Kalsubai Trek Distance 5.5 km one way
- Kalsubai Peak Height 1646 meters or 5400 feet above sea level
- Highest Peak of Maharashtra Kalsubai Peak in feet 5400 feet
- Located in Kalsubai Harishchandragad Wildlife Sanctuary
- Cost: Rs. 1,399/- per person
Kalsubai Peak Trek Itinerary
- 07:45 pm - Meet at McDonald's, Deccan.
- 08:00 pm - Move towards base village.
- 08:20 pm - Pick up at New Shivaji Nagar bus stop. (Mari Aai Gate / Wakadewadi)
- 08:40 pm - Pick up at Nashik Phata. (Opp. Kasarwadi police station)
02:00 am - Reach Bari village.
02:30 am - Introduction and have tea and biscuits at base village.
03:00 am - Start ascending.
07:00 am - Reach on top. Explore top.
08:00 am - Breakfast.
09:00 am - Start descending.
12:00 pm - Reach base village and have lunch. Simple veg thali, Jain food is available.
01:30 pm - Start return journey towards Pune.
08:00 pm - Approx. arrival at Pune, Please note roads are in bad condition delays will be there.
What is included in the tour
- Travel by private non-Ac vehicle
- 1 veg breakfast and 1 veg lunch
- Trek Leader expertise charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered.
- Any kind of personal expenses.
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required.
- 2/3 liters of water
- Proper face mask or shield
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek
- Good Torch must with extra battery
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 liters
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine
- Identity Proof
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles
Covid Safety Guidelines
- Before planning for any adventure activity, please improve your minimum physical fitness. Most of us have been at home for a lockdown period.
- Please convey your real medical conditions to Treks and Trails India while enrolling for the event.
- Kindly wear three-layered masks, N95. Carry an extra disposable mask with you. Please ensure all participants, leaders, staff, and general persons wear masks before interacting with them.
- Carry with your hand wash, sanitizer bottle, and clean your hands before touching food and objects.
- Cover-up wear full sleeves shirts and full pants, hiking shoes, caps, and face bandana over your mask. Covering up will help reduce exposure to the Covid19 virus.
- Bring your food and water with necessary cutlery like utility mug, fork, and spoon. Your mug can be used for cooking, eating, and drinking water. Carry your reusable water bottles; please don’t share with others.
- Cooperate for temperature checks, questions reading any symptoms, and oxygen level checks; these are done to help you limit the spread of the virus. All these checks will be conducted multiple times during the activities.
- Kindly do not register for the event or travel if you have come in contact with someone who has Covid19 in the last 14 days.
- If you have any symptoms like fever, dry cough, weakness, body aches, etc., at the time of screening. You won't be able to participate in the event. You will have to be evacuated on the medical condition and should report to the nearest healthcare center.
- Maintain a distance of six feet or more while sleeping at night. Incase distance is not possible, try sleeping in a criss-cross manner to avoid face proximity.
- Please bring your garbage back to the city and dispose of it in your bin.
- Consuming any alcohol, cigarettes, pan masala, tobacco, drugs should be avoided; they induce a lot of spitting, urinating, and passive smoke, which can be harmful for the general population.
- Avoid touching new surfaces and touching your mask and face continuously.
- If your adventure destination is overcrowded, be prepared to change your location or wait for the crowd to reduce.
- If any participant, trek leader test positive after returning from the event within 14 days of the Activity. They should maintain transparency and inform Treks and Trails India. It will help all others isolate themselves and get tested. Participants and Treks and Trails will cooperate to help manage the situation.
- Carry your own personal gear.
- Keep the conversation with unknown people to a minimum and maintain a distance of more than 6 feet while talking.
- Avoid speaking with the general population and maintain distance to keep yourself safe in these difficult times.
- Participant need to install the Arogya Setu app
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to the event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If the event gets canceled we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
- If the event is canceled due to any natural calamity, political unrest or other such reasons beyond our control the same cancellation policy will apply.
Treks and Trails Event Rules
- Kindly carry one Identity proof, at least for the trek with your address.
- We all are going for an adventurous and exciting trekking expedition; please Do Not misinterpret it as a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR.
- The leader's decision will be final, and all the members should abide by it.
- We do not destroy or dirty the archaeological, historical monuments, natural habitat on the trek.
- Swimming is not allowed in the lake or water tank on the forts. Locals use that water for drinking.
- Putting your feet in water tanks or on the canon is not allowed on our treks.
- Any addiction is strictly prohibited, e.g. drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco anyone caught doing it will have to exit the trek without a refund and travel back on own expense.
- People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
- Please do not carry or wear any valuables, ornaments, jewellery, etc. If carried, then we Do Not take any liability for the same.
- Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking, or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events, you are at your own risk. Organizers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner.
- We should strictly follow the code of conduct to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or outside.
- Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking.
- Bluetooth speaker not allowed inside the homestay or camping tents.
- Drinking/smoking,/eating is not allowed inside the tents.
- If you damage the tent, break the tent poles, you will have to pay us for the whole new tent on MRP.
- If you are late for the bus pickup and are not reachable on the phone during your bus pickup, the trek leader will leave without you, and we will provide no refund.
- Please check things to carry and wear trekking shoes on our treks.
Why should you choose Kalsubai Trek?
The summit of Kalsubai Peak is the perfect place to enjoy a breathtaking view. Many prominent peaks and forts in the Sahyadris mountains are visible, with Alang Madan Kulang being favorites among rock climbers. You can also camp below the peak post-monsoon season for fantastic sunset and sunrise views from the Kalsubai mountain. The most exciting aspect of climbing Kalsubai Peak is that it offers two adventurous trek routes for trekkers who want an even more complex challenge!
The views on top of Kalasbaï peak are stunning as you can see many different forts all around, including Ratangad Fort, Ajoba Parvat, Harihar Fort, Katrabai, Harishchandragad. It is one of the best places in Maharashtra to click images of the night sky and astrophotography during the new moon. You can also combine the trek with Bhandardara Lake Camping or the Sandhan Valley Trek.
Kalsubai Trek Base Village and Trek route information
Kalsubai Trek is an uphill pleasant walk amidst fields, farmland, shrubs, and grasslands. There are two base villages for Kalsubai Trek. The most preferred by Pune Trekkers is Bari Village; Indore village has a most challenging trek route. Bari village is a farming village. From the start of the trek until halfway through, you see nothing but field after farmland at every turn. The feeling it leaves on your soul inspires hope that life can be just as beautiful without all of its modern amenities for some people out there who are still clinging to simplicity in this day and age. Bari Village is slowly transforming into a hiking village as locals have set up homestays and restaurants in the village. Many operate small Dhabas along the route, offering Buttermilk, Nimbu Paani, Poha, and Maggi.
Monkeys on the Iron Ladder section
The Thrill of climbing four iron ladders on the vertical rock faces! Placed by the villagers and forest department to make the trek easier for all. The ladder section is the most adventurous and challenging part of this trek. The ascent as well as descent, though same way, have to be done carefully so that there is two-way traffic those coming up for a climb and others going down after completing it; in monsoon season, one has to take care not only about slippery rocks but also wet iron rungs which can make balancing difficult at times. While climbing the Kalsubai iron ladder during the day, you will find many monkeys try to grab your bag for eatables, and please pack well.
Frequently Asked Questions Kalsubai Trek
How to go Kalsubai from Mumbai?
The meeting point for this trek will be at Kasara Railway Station during winter and summer. We have mentioned the train timing in the itinerary. Kindly boarded the train accordingly. Our trek leader will meet you at Railway Station near the ticket counter. From here we will move towards the base village in our jeeps. Mumbai to Kalsubai is well marked on google maps. Kalsubai trek Mumbai travelers is the most famous destination.
In case you are travelling in your vehicle till Bari village, we request you to reach on time. We will provide you with the google maps location till Bari village. Please note the road till the base village is under repair and bad condition. There is a low network or no network in this region in case of car breakdown at night it will be challenging to find help. Kalsubai distance from Mumbai is 155 km. Igatpuri to kalsubai distance is 33 km roads in bad condition.
How to reach Kalsubai from Mumbai by Train we have mentioned the train timings in the itinerary. Meet us at Kasara from here we will proceed in local jeeps till the base village. Mumbai to Kalsubai by train nearest station Kasara.
How to go Kalsubai from Pune?
By train, you need to reach Kalyan Railway Station and board Kasara Local from Kalyan. We have mentioned the train timings in the itinerary. After reaching Kasara Railway Station, our trek leader will meet you at the ticket counter. We will proceed from here in local jeeps till base village Bari which is the starting point for Kalsubai Location.
By Car Pune to Kalsubai, we will share with you the google map navigation details you can follow it to reach Bari village. It will take a good five hours to reach till Bari Village the starting point of Kalsubai Igatpuri Trek. Kalsubai Pune road's last 60 km is not in good condition. Pune to Kalsubai trek is available for booking. Pune to Kalsubai bus is the best option to reach the base village. Pune to Kalsubai distance 180 km, six hours of driving.
Kalsubai Map - Drive Through Map?
Please refer to google maps or google earth. We will send you the google maps navigation link after your booking is completed. You can follow the navigation to reach till Bari Village which is the starting point for Kalsubai trek Maharashtra. Mount Kalsubai Bhandardara cannot be reached by car you will have to hike the last 5.5 km uphill.
What is the Kalsubai Trek batch size regularly?
Usually, each Kalsubai Night trek group has 10 - 40 people which comprises women, men, children, solo travelers. We send trek leaders as per the batch size to make sure you enjoy your trek and receive proper guidance whenever needed. Bigger the group more the fun, our trek leader engages with trekkers and traveler to keep the group motivated. Kalsubai Shikhar video is available in the photo gallery you can watch it to understand more about the trek. Night trek to Kalsubai is the most popular trek in Maharashtra. Kalsubai elevation 1646 meters makes it a real point to observe the sunrise.
Do you provide pick up and drop service from Mumbai or Pune for Kalsubai Trek?
During Winter and Summer seasons trekkers will have to reach till Kasara Railway Station and meet our guide. The guide will bring you till base village in Local jeeps you will be sharing the vehicle with other trekkers. In case you are coming in a car you need to reach on time till Bari Village using google maps location provided by us.
I am a Female traveler or Solo traveler can i join Kalsubai Night Trek?
Kalsubai Trekking route is very safe for female trekkers, locals are very friendly. Our team will take care of your safety and your Kalsubai trekking experience. Kalsubai base village Bari is well known for its hospitality and safety.
Distance from Mumbai Kalsubai - highest peak in Maharashtra?
Four hours drive from Mumbai - 155 km approx. The road is under repair in certain sections and in bad condition. After you enter the state highway mobile network is not available for most parts of your journey.
Distance from Pune Kalsubai highest peak in Maharashtra?
Five hours drive from Mumbai 180 km approx. Located inside the Kalsubai Harichandragad Wildlife Sanctury.
The number of days required for Kalsubai trekking?
One day and One Night is required to complete the Kalsubai Night Trek. During monsoon, the trek is held early morning due to dense fog covering the peak. During winter and summer, it is advised to summit Kalsubai around dawn to avoid intense heat during the day. Kalsubai trek pics are available in the photo gallery you can click on the button to see more. Trekking Kalsubai has become relatively easy for regular hikers.
Where can we park our cars near the Kalsubai Maharashtra trek?
Base Village at your own risk. Locals might ask for parking fees. There are no designated parking areas around the village. Kalsubai Height in feet 5400 feet. Mumbai to Kalsubai distance 155 km.
Is there any parking charge at Kalsubai Village?
Yes. Locals might collect a parking charge from you.
8. Do you provide sleeping bags?
Sleeping bag NO - For hygiene reasons we don't provide sleeping bags. incase you need to rent sleeping bags please email us email@example.com
9. Are Toilet Available on Kalsubai Mountain?
Not available During the trek toilets are not available on Kalsubai Fort Trek. You will need to go into the open. Provision for toilet tents will be made at Villagers House - eastern style commode. There is a scarcity of water so English toilets are not available.
10. Do Single Travellers Female signup for these events?
We have 60 - 40 % or more Male - Female ratios on our events
Many Single Travelling Female join our events
We also send female trek leaders whenever possible and available to lead.
11. Are Kids allowed on treks?
Kids below 15 with Parents supervision only. We have had 5 years old kids complete the trek with their parents in the past.
12. What type of food will be provided?
Food preference only Veg local home-cooked is available. On top, we provide breakfast Poha, and Tea.
13. Phone Connectivity?
Limited phone connectivity available for most cellular services
14. Where will we stay?
No Homestay is required for this event. We will only stop at the base village for some time for introduction and instruction to be given by the trek leader. Stay will not be required on the trek. In case you want to spend more time at Kalsubai we have Kalsubai Camping Trek available at Mount Kalsubai hill station.
15. Is cash payment or spot payment accepted?
- Cash payment is not accepted.
- Registration against 100% upfront payment only via Paytm / UPI / NEFT / IMPS / Payment Getaway on the spot payment not accepted.
- We need to book in advance bus/jeep and make other arrangements upfront payment is a must
- Mumbai to Kalsubai trek is organized by Treks and Trails India every weekend.
16. Will I get bottled water at Kalsubai- highest peak in Maharashtra?
Normal well water shall be provided. Villagers now sell bottled water on the route on weekends. Please carry a reusable water bottle it helps in reducing waste on the slopes. You can refill your bottles at the base village.
17. Can I charge my phone?
No electricity. Please carry a power bank if required.
18. How is the Kalsubai weather now?
Kalsubai weather forecast depends on the season we have listed them below.
- Summer Kalsubai Temperature Night 17- Day 39°C approx. It is extremely windy at the summit and cold.
- Monsoon rains very heavily please double pack your expensive phones and gadgets
- Winter Kalsubai temperature is 10 to 20 degrees and very windy please carry a windproof jacket for the summit.
19. Can we smoke or drink alcohol?
- People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
- Kalsubai Peak and trekking route is sacred to all Maharashtrians anyone caught smoking or consuming alcohol will be at the mercy of locals.
20. Can we listen to music on Bluetooth speakers?
- Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking to Kalsubai, Bluetooth speakers not allowed inside the homestay.
- Please enjoy the sound of nature on the trek.
- Trek leaders keep giving instructions throughout the trek you will miss important communication if listening to music.
21. How do I make payment?
You can pay online on our website by clicking on the book now tab.
22. Kalsubai hotels - Kalsubai Homestay? Places to stay near Kalsubai?
Local villagers offer dormitory homestay
List of Hotels near Kalsubai Peak Bhandardara
- MTDC Bhandardara
- Anandvan Resort
- Yash Resort
- Hotel Samadhan
You can also camp with us at Bhandardara after your trek.
In case your question is not listed above you can email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
23. Kalsubai trek from Mumbai?
During monsoon, we arrange Kalsubai trek from Mumbai and Thane via a private bus. After the monsoon, we arrange Kalsubai Night Trek from Kasara Railway Station. How to reach Kalsubai from Mumbai using the private car we will provide you with the GPS location of the base village.
24. Kalsubai trek from Pune?
During monsoon, we arrange Kalsubai trek from Pune via a private bus. After the monsoon, we arrange Kalsubai Night Trek from Kasara Railway Station.
25. Kalsubai trek Height?
Kalsubai peak also known as the Everest of Maharashtra. Kalsubai is the highest in peak Maharashtra. Kalsubai Shikhar located at 5400 Feet above sea level. Height of Kalsubai in meters 1645 above sea level.
26. Kalsubai hill Station?
Kalsubai Shikhar is located at Bhandardara, Kalsubai Harishchandragad Wildlife Sanctuary. Weather is pleasant and it offers beautiful views of Wilson Dam, Bhandardara Lake, Ghatghar Dam, Sahyadri forts, Deep valleys. Plans have been discussed to convert Kalsubai into a hill station with the ropeway. Bhandardara to Kalsubai peak, we can arrange for Bhandardara camping and Kalsubai camping together as a custom event for large groups. Kalsubai altitude 5400 feet above sea level.
27. Kalsubai trek from Mumbai by train? How to reach Kalsubai?
We shared the train timings for Kasara Train on the central railway in the itinerary. Our Trek Leaders will meet you at Kasara Railway Station. You will now proceed to base village in Local jeeps. Trek will start at Bari Village. After the trek participant will be dropped back at Kasara Railway Station. You can now proceed to Mumbai or Pune using local trains. Cst to Kasara Railway Station ticket will cost Rs 60 for the return ticket.
28. About Kalsubai Temple?
Kalsubai Summit is home to the divine Kalsubai temple of a local goddess. The priest performs prayers every Thursday and Tuesday at the temple. During the Navratri Festival, locals visit the deity in thousands. Beautiful fair created for the devotees with locals installing stalls near the peak. You can buy pooja supplies, snacks, water bottles. Kalsubai temple is also available when you start the trek a few minutes into your hike — built for Devotees who find it hard to climb till the summit. MT Kalsubai trek distance from the base village is 5.5 km one way. Kalsubai trek time taken one way will be 3 to 4 hours. Kalsubai Shikhar height 1646 meters above sea level.
29. Kalsubai Trek Photos?
We have an upload Kalsubai images for the trek and video to help you understand our trek operations and trek details. Please click on the Kalsubai Photos Gallery.
30. No of days required for Kalsubai trekking and camping?
Kalsubai trekking and camping requires two days and one night. Kalsubai height from sea level is 5400 feet. Igatpuri to Kalsubai Hill is 35 km by road. Kalsubai to Pune is 180 km by road, a total of 6 hours driving. Kalsubai trek details can be found in our detailed itinerary.