Tikona Fort, also renowned as Vitandgad fort, is a major hill fort in Maval region near the Lonavala. Tikona fort, literally means triangle fort, had witnessed many dynasties ruled in the Maratha region. This was the nerve center of the many activities of entire Maval Pawna regions. The small hamlet close to the fort is Tikona path. The fort’s mammoth entrance is a special attraction. The Tikona fort is a great trekking destination for the adventurous tourists. One can get the eye-catching views of the Pawna Dam and the forts at Visapur, Tung, and Lohagad. The fort encloses a lake, Satvahan caves and the temple of 'Trimbakeshwar Mahadev'. The fort was built during the Silhara dynasty. There is a temple on top of the peak. The view of the Pawna dam, Kathingad, and valleys from the top is breathtaking.
Tikona Fort Details
- Tikona Fort Trek Difficulty Level: Medium
- Tikona Fort Trek Height: 3500 ft. (approx.)
- Base Village for Tikona Fort: Tikona peth
- Tikona Fort Trek Region: Lonavala
- Korigad Fort Trek photos: available in the photo gallery.
- Trekker Fitness and Endurance: Medium and BMI under 30
- Best time to visit Korigad Fort Trek: Monsoon Season
- Total time required for climbing Korigad Fort: 1-1.5 hour one way
- Tikona Trek's nearest railway station is Lonavala.
- Duration: 1 day
- Tikona Trek Type: Fort Trail
- Distance from Mumbai to Tikona fort starting point: 128 kilometres
- Distance from Pune to Tikona fort starting point: 80 kilometres
Receive a trekking E-certificate on completion of the trek
Cost for Tikona Trek 2023
- From Mumbai: Rs. 1399/- per person
- From Pune: Rs. 1299/- per person
Tikona Fort Trek Event Itinerary
Tikona Trek from Mumbai
- 05:10 am - Meet at SGNP main gate, Borivali.
- 05:15 am - Leave for Tikona Fort trek.
- 05:35 am - Pick up at WEH metro station bus stop, Andheri.
- 05:50 am - Pick up at Kalanagar bus stop (on the highway), Bandra.
- 06:10 am - Pick up at Sion station circle.
- 06:25 am - Pick up at Diamond Garden, Chembur.
- 06:45 am - Pick up at Vashi below the main bridge near Vashi Plaza.
- 07:15 am - Pick up at McDonald's, Kalamboli.
09:00 am - Reach at base village and breakfast.
09:30 am - Start ascending.
11:30 am - Reach the top and explore.
01:00 pm - Descending
02:30 pm - Reach at base and lunch.
03:30 pm - Start return journey towards Mumbai.
07:30 pm - Approx. arrival at Mumbai.
Tikona Trek from Pune
- 05:45 am - Meet at McDonald’s, Deccan.
- 06:00 am - Move towards base village.
- 06:20 am - Pick up at Chandani chowk.
- 06:30 am - Pick up at Balewadi stadium.
- 06:40 am - Pick up at Rajyog hotel, Wakad bridge.
- 06:50 am - Pick up at Santosa Resort, Ravet.
08:00 am - Reach at the base village.
08:30 am - Start ascending.
10:00 am - Reach at the top and explore.
11:00 am - Start descending.
12:30 pm - Reach at base village and lunch.
01:30 pm - Start return journey towards Pune.
04:30 pm - Approx. arrival at Pune.
Attractions near Tikona Fort Trek
Korigad Fort's historic trekking destination is nearby.
Pawna Lake's peaceful and scenic beauty - Great for boating.
Tung Fort's panoramic views and hike
Lohagad Fort's historical significance and trek
Visapur Fort for another nearby trek.
Ancient Bedse Caves: Impressive Buddhist rock-cut caves.
Serene Hadshi Temple: A tranquil spiritual retreat with lovely architecture.
Best time to visit Tikona Fort
The best time to visit Tikona Fort is during the Monsoon season, which is from June to September. This period offers a pleasant and refreshing experience with lush green surroundings due to rainfall. The weather is relatively cool, making it ideal for trekking. Exploring the fort during this time allows you to enjoy the natural beauty and avoid the scorching heat of summer.
Tikona Fort from Mumbai
By Road: You can take the Mumbai-Pune Expressway and continue towards Lonavala. From Lonavala, Tikona Fort is approximately 60 kilometres away. You can hire a taxi or take a Lonavala bus to the fort.
By Train: Take a train from Mumbai to Lonavala or Kamshet, which is well connected by trains from Mumbai. From Lonavala or Kamshet, you can hire a taxi or take a local bus to Tikona Fort.
Tikona Fort From Pune
By Road: Take the Mumbai-Pune Expressway and head towards Lonavala. From Lonavala, Tikona Fort is around 20 kilometres away. You can hire a taxi or take a Lonavala bus to the fort.
By Train: Take a train from Pune to Lonavala, which is well connected by trains from Pune. From Lonavala, you can hire a taxi or rickshaw, share jeeps, or take a local bus to Tikona Fort.
Why should you choose Treks and Trails for Tikona Fort Trek?
- Six years of knowledge in managing Tikona Fort Trek with all safety SOP.
- We were preferred by over 20000 trekkers last year with a 4.7 review rating of 5.
- We equip one trek leader for every ten trekkers.
- Female trek leader on each trek
- Provide an E-certificate on successful completion of the trek. Valid for a lifetime with 99.9 percent availability online.
- E-certificate is tamper-proof and shareable on social media and leading networking websites.
- The roadmap includes adventure insurance for every trekker and trek leader for all our treks.
- We self-operate our treks
- Group discounts available
- If you wrongly booked for different date or batch. And you want to change date within 3 days of departure, then transfer charges will be applied which will be Rs. 200/- per person.
What is included in the tour
- 1 veg Breakfast and 1 veg Lunch
- Travel by private non-Ac bus
- Trek Leader Expertise Charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Entry fee for foreign nationals
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered.
- Any kind of personal expenses.
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required.
- 2/3 liters of water
- Proper face mask or shield
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on the trek
- Good Torch must with an extra battery
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 liters
- Rains are expected, so pack your bags accordingly to save them from getting wet
- Double pack your valuables/phones in plastic bags
- Rainwear / Poncho / Waterproof jacket etc. if you don’t want to get wet
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine
- Identity Proof
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles
Cancellation Policy and Charges
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to the event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If the event gets canceled we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
- If the event is canceled due to any natural calamity, political unrest or other such reasons beyond our control the same cancellation policy will apply.
- Refunds won't be issued if you cannot attend the event due to heavy rains, floods, traffic jams, car breakdowns or a personal medical emergency.
- Your booking cannot be shifted to another date if you cannot attend the event due to heavy rains, floods, traffic jams, car breakdowns, or a personal medical emergency.
- If your area is prone to flooding, traveling from a flooded area, heavy traffic, heavy rains, missing the train, or any other reason, if you cannot attend the event, we won't issue a refund or shift you to another date.
- Management won't be held responsible if you are stuck due to heavy rains, traffic jams, personal emergencies or floods during the event.
- If you are bringing kids, please understand the possibility of getting stuck or delayed. You might have to stay back due to heavy rains, floods, bus breakdowns, and rush at the trekking destination. We won't be able to refund or shift you to another date. You will have to wait it out till the weather clears.
- Due to bad weather, floods, sudden changes in government rules, and overcrowding at the destination trek, the organizer has the right to change the trekking destination.
- During the trek , due to any circumstances seen or unseen trek leader has the right to cancel the trek for safety reason. No refund shall be issued.
Treks and Trails Event Rules
- Kindly carry one Identity proof, at least for the trek with your address.
- We all are going for an adventurous and exciting trekking expedition; please Do Not misinterpret it as a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR.
- The leader's decision will be final, and all the members should abide by it.
- We do not destroy or dirty the archaeological, historical monuments, natural habitat on the trek.
- Swimming is not allowed in the lake or water tank on the forts. Locals use that water for drinking.
- Putting your feet in water tanks or on the canon is not allowed on our treks.
- Any addiction is strictly prohibited, e.g. drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco anyone caught doing it will have to exit the trek without a refund and travel back on own expense.
- People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
- Please do not carry or wear any valuables, ornaments, jewellery, etc. If carried, then we Do Not take any liability for the same.
- Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking, or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events, you are at your own risk. Organizers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner.
- We should strictly follow the code of conduct to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or outside.
- Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking.
- Bluetooth speaker not allowed inside the homestay or camping tents.
- Drinking/smoking,/eating is not allowed inside the tents.
- If you damage the tent, break the tent poles, you will have to pay us for the whole new tent on MRP.
- If you are late for the bus pickup and are not reachable on the phone during your bus pickup, the trek leader will leave without you, and we will provide no refund.
- Please check things to carry and wear trekking shoes on our treks.
Are you an adventurer who loves trekking? Completing a trek can be a life-changing experience that leaves you with unforgettable memories. To commemorate your achievement, Treks and Trails provides e-certificates to all participants who successfully complete their trek. These e-certificates include your name, the name of the trek you completed, the date of completion, and a digital signature from Treks and Trails. They are a perfect way to showcase your accomplishment to the world and share your trekking journey with your loved ones. By receiving an e-certificate from Treks and Trails, you can proudly display your achievement on your social media platforms and inspire others to embark on their own adventures. We offer the best trekking near Mumbai options.
Here are some FAQs about our e-certificates:
Q: What is an e-certificate for trekkers and hikers?
A: An e-certificate is a digital certificate awarded to participants upon completion of a trek or hike. It serves as proof of participation and achievement.
Q: How do I receive an e-certificate from Treks and Trails?
A: Upon completion of your trek or hike with Treks and Trails, you will be sent an email with a link to your e-certificate. You can download it from the link and save it on your device or share it on social media platforms.
Q: Can I share my e-certificate on social media platforms?
A: Yes, you can share your e-certificate on all social media platforms. The e-certificate is designed to be easily shareable, so you can show off your achievement to your friends and family.
Eligibility Criteria for a Trekking Certificate:
To be eligible for a trekking certificate, individuals must demonstrate adherence to safety rules, teamwork, and cooperation.
Participants must achieve the following requirements for earning a trekking certificate: completion of the trek; physical fitness; teamwork and cooperation; knowledge of safety rules; environmental awareness; a positive attitude; great attendance; and punctuality. We appreciate their commitment to the sport of trekking and acknowledge their achievements.
Tikona Fort Trek, Lonavala
Tikona Fort is a popular trekking spot near Lonavala in Maharashtra, India. The trek to Tikona Fort is known for its scenic beauty and historical significance. It is a relatively easy trek suitable for both beginners and experienced trekkers.
The journey starts from the base village of Tikona Peth, which is easily accessible from Lonavala. The trek takes you through lush greenery and rocky terrain. Though there are a few steep sections, they can be managed with caution.
As you ascend, you'll be surrounded by the beauty of nature, with wildflowers, tall trees, and occasional wildlife sightings. The trail offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
After a moderate hike of about one to two hours, you'll reach the top of Tikona Fort. At an elevation of approximately 3,600 feet, the fort provides breathtaking views of the Sahyadri mountain range, Pawna Lake, and Tung Fort.
Explore the ancient ruins of the fort, which dates back to the 13th century. The triangular-shaped fort has temples and walls to climb, offering a glimpse into its historical significance.
1. Can we drive to Tikona Fort Trek starting point?
Yes, driving to Tikona Peth or Tikona Fort Trek is possible. Many restaurants and homestays are available near the starting point. They offer parking spots, food, night stay, or camping.
How to reach Tikona Fort for a trek near me options,
Tikona Fort from Mumbai
By Road: You can take the Mumbai-Pune Expressway and continue towards Lonavala. From Lonavala, Tikona Fort is approximately 60 km away. You can hire a taxi or take a Lonavala bus to the fort.
By Train: Take a train from Mumbai to Lonavala or Kamshet, which is well-connected by trains from Mumbai. From Lonavala or Kamshet, you can hire a taxi or take a local bus to Tikona Fort.
Tikona Fort From Pune
By Road: Take the Mumbai-Pune Expressway and head towards Lonavala. From Lonavala, Tikona Fort is around 20 km away. You can hire a taxi or take a Lonavala bus to the fort.
By Train: Take a train from Pune to Lonavala, which is well-connected by trains from Pune. From Lonavala, you can hire a taxi or rickshaw, share jeeps, or take a local bus to Tikona Fort.
Tikona Fort From Pawna Lake Camping
By Road: Tikona Fort is located near Pawna Lake. You can hire a taxi, share a jeep, rickshaw, cycle, hike, or drive from Pawna Lake to reach the fort. The distance is around 12 km, and the route offers scenic views.
From Lonavala, how to reach Tikona Fort
By Road: Tikona Fort is approximately 30 km away from Lonavala. You can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach the fort. The journey will take 1-2 hours, depending on traffic and road conditions.
By Train: There is no direct train to Tikona Fort from Lonavala. You can hire a taxi or take a bus from Lonavala Railway station to reach Tikona Fort, approximately 30 km away.
Remember to check the road conditions and plan your journey accordingly. Carrying a map or using GPS navigation for a hassle-free trip is always a good idea. Enjoy your visit to Tikona Fort!
Please note that Tikona Fort doesn't have a direct train station nearby. Lonavala is the closest major railway station, and you can choose to hire a taxi or take a bus from there to reach Tikona Fort. Make sure to check the train schedules and plan your journey accordingly.
2. What is the distance from Mumbai to Tikona Peth or Tikona Fort Starting point?
It is approximately a three-hour drive from Mumbai, covering a distance of around 128 km. The hill fort is one of the best trekking places near Lonavala.
3. How far is Tikona Fort from Pune?
Tikona gad is approximately 80 km from Pune, and it takes about a two-hour drive to reach there. It offers breathtaking views and a popular fort near Lonavala. You can also combine the fort visit with Pawna Lake camping.
4. How many days are required for this event?
Only one day is required for this event. Tikona gad trek should be on your bucket list for Things to do in Lonavla. A popular day activity during the rainy season is Maharashtra trekking places.
5. Is there food available at Tikona Fort Trek?
Yes, a few stalls are available during the trekking route, and food is available at Tikona Fort. Many restaurants are open along the route and near the parking spot, offering lunch, snacks, and refreshments at the base village. Trekking in Lonavala is a popular weekend activity combined with homestay or camping.
6. How much time is required to trek to Tikona Fort's highest point?
It takes approximately one hour to climb Tikona Fort one way. The route is medium grade. You will cross many doors, caves, temples, and rock-cut steps which have been made easy to climb with railings. The summit has huge water tanks and a 360 view of the region.
7. Where can we park our cars at Tikona Lonavala Fort?
Cars can be parked at the base village at your own risk. A dedicated parking spot is available. Most forts in Lonavala have parking spots, with local villagers collecting parking fees.
8. Is there any parking charge at Tikona Fort in Lonavala?
Yes, there might be a parking charge. A dedicated parking spot is available near the starting point of the trek.
9. Are toilets available at Tikona Fort Lonavala Maharashtra?
Toilets are not available during the trekking route. However, toilets in the villagers' homestays or restaurants with Eastern-style commodes are available at the Lonavala treks.
10. Do solo travellers or female travellers sign up for these events?
Yes, many solo travellers join our events. The male-female ratio is typically 60-40% or more. Trekking places in Maharashtra are safe for all travellers, with the forest department supporting hikers during their stay and hike. Travelling in groups on these treks is best as you will always have support if needed during your hike.
11. Are kids allowed on Maharashtra trek places?
Kids below 15 years are allowed on treks only under parental supervision. Ensure you carry enough water and snacks, and buy proper trekking shoes, full sleeves clothes, and rainwear for your kids. Once you enrol for the Maharashtra trekking experience, We provide things to carry list for trekkers; it is available on all our event pages.
12. What type of food will be provided?
Only vegetarian local home-cooked food will be available. A Veg Thali is provided for lunch; it includes Chapathi, Dal, Rice, and Veg Sabzi, depending on the season. If you need Jain Food, please mention it at the time of booking in the comments section. Trekking spots in Maharashtra are famous for their hot and spicy meals, which local ladies cook.
13. Is there phone connectivity at Tikona Trek Lonavala?
Limited phone connectivity is available for most cellular services at Tikona Trek Lonavala. Monsoon in Lonavala is popular for easy short treks, plus make sure you bring a mobile rainproof cover for protection.
14. Is cash payment or spot payment accepted?
Cash payment is not accepted. Registration requires 100% upfront payment through methods such as UPI, NEFT, IMPS, or Payment Gateway. Spot payments are not accepted, and prior booking is necessary.
15. Will I get bottled water at trekking places?
Normal well water will be provided. It is best to carry a reusable water bottle as one-time useable bottled water is the main cause of mountain garbage pollution.
16. Can I charge my phone at places for trekking?
No electricity is available, so it is advised to carry a power bank if needed at a trekking spot near you.
17. How is the current weather at Tikona Fort?
During summer, the temperature ranges from around 20°C at night to 39°C during the day. In monsoons, heavy rainfall occurs, so it is recommended to double-pack expensive phones and gadgets. Tikona gad is a popular hiking destination during the rainy season.
18. Can we smoke or drink alcohol?
No, smoking or drinking alcohol is not allowed. Anyone caught doing so will be asked to leave the event immediately.
19. Can we listen to music on a Bluetooth speaker?
Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking, and Bluetooth speakers are not allowed inside the homestay.
20. How can I make the payment?
You can make the payment online on our website under the "How to Register" section.
21. Tikona Fort difficulty level
Tikona Fort is usually considered easy. People with average fitness can hike to the fort. Most people can climb Tikona Fort in an hour one way. However, to ensure a safe and comfortable trek, it's best to wear proper footwear and carry enough water.
Why is Tikona Fort the most popular trekking destination in Maharashtra?
All explorers are invited! Tikona Fort is the ideal location for thrilling trekking experiences near Pawna Lake. Join us as we travel to a destination with stunning views of Tung Fort, Pawna Lake, Hadshi Lake, and more.
The journey to Tikona Fort ensures breathtakingly beautiful scenery and offers an exhilarating road trip experience. Imagine enjoying the scenery as you drive, the breeze in your hair, and the excitement in your heart. It's the ideal way to start a day full of adventures!
Prepare to be in awe when you ascend the fort, as the magnificent views that appear before you will astound you. It is impressive to see Tung Fort standing tall amid the undulating hills. And nothing short of miraculous describes the peaceful splendour of Pawna Lake and Hadshi Lake below.
The walk has its unique charm during the wet season, thanks to the weather. You'll be transported to a new world by the ethereal mood created by the mist, the lush green surroundings, and the sporadic drizzles. For both nature lovers and photographers, it's a veritable heaven.
But Tikona Fort offers more than simply breathtaking views. You'll discover intriguing ancient caves with intricately cut rock steps as you explore the fort. These historical artefacts give the journey a feeling of wonder and intrigue while providing a window into the past.
So prepare for a memorable journey by packing your bags and lacing up your hiking boots. The Tikona Fort Trek, close to Pawna Lake, promises spectacular scenery, perfect weather, and life-long experiences. Don't pass up this fantastic chance!
Trekking in Lonavala
All you adventure seekers, listen up! Lonavala's finest hiking locations can provide an exciting thrill and breathtaking views. Prepare to explore these incredible routes and become fully immersed in the beauties of nature!
Rajmachi Fort Trek: Explore Rajmachi Fort's historical beauty as you hike through gorgeous pathways surrounded by verdant valleys and gushing waterfalls. Experience the amazing hospitality of Udhewadi. It is the best trek near you in Lonavala.
Ulhas Valley Trek: Set off on a charming walk through Ulhas Valley, where you'll be met by mesmerizing scenery, flowing streams, and tranquil woodlands. This waterfall trek is not for first-timers it requires good trekking skills and gear to complete this trek. One of the best waterfall treks in Lonavala.
Dukes Nose Trek: This strenuous trek is renowned for its sheer cliff faces and expansive views of the Sahyadri range. For thrill-seekers, this walk promises an exciting adventure. The rolling grass plateau is a delight for photographers post-monsoon. One of the most popular treks in Khandala on the weekends.
Lohagad Fort Trek: Hike up to Lohagad Fort and let your inner explorer go while taking in the fort's fascinating history and breathtaking views of the surrounding valleys. You can see the beautiful Vinchu Kada, the Reverse waterfall in Lonavala, Visapur Fort, Pawna Lake, Bhaje caves, Bhaje waterfall, and many more destinations on this trek.
Visapur Fort Trek: Prepare for an arduous hike to Visapur Fort, where you'll come across rocky landscapes, historic ruins, and stunning views. Famous for the waterfall steps, there are many routes to reach the fort. The most popular is the waterfall route, where you climb up this majestic Lonavala Fort through a waterfall.
Trek to Tikona Fort: Famous for panoramic views of Tung Fort, Pawna Lake Camping, and Hadshi Lake while taking in the peace of the natural environment.
Korigad Fort Trek: Travel through thick forests, verdant meadows, and rugged terrains to experience the splendour of Korigad Fort. You are rewarded with stunning views at the summit. You can see Amby Valley, the beautiful Amby Valley airport, and many forts around the fort.
Tung Fort Trek: Begin an exhilarating trip to Tung Fort, where you'll be mesmerized by the untamed grandeur of the Sahyadri Mountains and the expansive views of the surrounding valleys. One of the toughest treks in Maharashtra is ideal to visit with a guide.
The Bhaje Caves Trek combines history and hiking as you visit old rock-cut tunnels tucked away in the beauty of nature. Many waterfalls are visible near the caves, a popular spot for picnic goers on the weekend.
The Dhak Bahiri Caves Trek presents an exhilarating challenge for experienced hikers with its steep climbs, rock-cut steps, and breathtaking views. This one is for experienced trekkers; you will need to climb vertical rock patches ideal for joining a climbing club for this trek.
Trek to Bhimashankar, one of the 12 Jyotirlinga shrines, and embark on a spiritual and daring trip. Lush forests and wildlife surround Bhimashankar. There are multiple hiking routes available for Bhimashankar the most thrilling one is the ladder route.
Are you prepared to explore these fantastic Lonavala trekking locations? Prepare for a life-changing journey by putting your hiking boots on, packing your bag, and getting going!