About Tung Fort
Tung Fort also called Kathingad; difficult fort in Marathi is a hill fort in Pune District, Maharashtra, India. Tung Fort was built before 1600 CE. It was built by the Adil Shahi dynasty but was captured by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj . It is small, and not able to hold more than 200 troops at a time. As such, it would not have been able to defend itself on its own for a long time. Its shape and structure suggest that its main function was as a watchtower guarding the road to Pune city. The Dhamale family, one of the Deshmukh from the Maval region, was charged with ensuring the security of Tung Fort. During invasion, it served to provide a temporary distraction for invaders. Thus, the major forts of Visapur and Lohagad would have time to prepare themselves to meet the invading army. This fort served as a watchtower in the past because from top of the fort, a lot of area in the Maval region of the Pawana and Mulshi valleys can be seen, and thus, from the top of the fort, a watch on these areas can be kept. In 1657, it became a part of Swarajya with all other forts situated in Maval region. In 1660, Netaji Palkar was appointed to protect this region. In 1665, Jay Singh invaded this region. Diler khan and others destroyed the villages around Tung & Tikona, but were unable to conquer these forts. Then, according to Treaty of Purandar (signed on 12th June 1665), Kubad khan with Halal khan and others took over fort on 18 June 1665. Its sharp, conical peak makes Tung Fort a prominent landmark, even from a distance. It has an oval shape, thick walls and numerous bastions. A steep climb on grassy slopes leads to the ruins of a temple at the summit. A rocky staircase leads several feet down to a water reservoir. From the top of the fort, the Lohagad, Visapur, Tikona and Korigad forts are clearly visible.
Tung Fort Details
- Tung Fort Trek Difficulty Level: Easy.
- Base Village for Tung Fort: Tungwadi.
- Region: Lonavala.
- Total time required for climbing Tung Fort: 1 hour one way.
- Duration: 1 Day & 1 Night.
- Tung Fort Height: 3000 ft. (approx.).
- Cost: Rs 1800
Tung Fort event Itinerary
We meet at 17:30 Hrs. (sharp) at Lonavala Railway station on Saturday.
From Mumbai you can board: Sinhagad Express 11009 - Mumbai to Pune Junction.
14:30 - CST.
14:40 - Dadar.
15:08 - Thane.
15:28 - Kalyan.
16:08 - Karjat.
17:08 - Lonavala.
17:20 - Meet at Lonavala Railway Station near Ticket Counter.
17:30 - Move towards Campsite by Jeep.
19:00 – Reach Campsite, Campfire and Relax
21:00 – Dinner
05:00 - Wake Up and Freshen Up.
05:30 - Start Tung fort trek.
06:30 – Reach on top, watch sunrise and explore fort.
07:30 – Start descend.
08:30 – Reach at base village.
09:00 – Breakfast.
09:30 - Start journey towards Lonavala station.
11:00 – Reach at Lonavala station. Trek and Camping ends here.
What is included in the tour
- 1 Evening tea, 1 Dinner and 1 Veg Breakfast.
- Treks and Trails India charges.
- Travel by Jeep for Tung village to Lonavala.
- Tent Stay on sharing basis.
What is NOT included in the tour
- All kinds of Extra Meals / Drinks Ordered.
- Insurance, tips, Porters, bottled mineral water, aerated drinks etc.
- Any kind of personal expenses.
- Any kind of cost, which is not mentioned in the cost, includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.
- 2/3 litters of water.
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars.
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets.
- Good Torch must with extra battery.
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek.
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 litters.
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen.
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine.
- Identity Proof.
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can we drive till Tung village?
2. Distance from Mumbai to Tung village?
Three hours drive from Mumbai 110 km approx.
3. Distance from Pune to Tung village?
Two and half hour’s drive from Pune - 95 km approx.
4. Number of days required for this event?
One day and one night
5. Is there food available on Tung fort?
No. Food available at base village
6. How much time required climbing Tung fort?
1 hour (one way).
7. Where can we park our cars?
Base Village at your own risk
8. Is there any parking charge?
9. Are Toilet Available on Tung fort?
Not available. During the trek toilets are not available.
Provision for toilet tents will be made at Villagers House - eastern style commode.
10. Do single traveller’s female sign up for these events?
We have 60 - 40 % or more Male - Female ratios on our events.
Many Single Travelling Female join our events.
11. Are Kids allowed on treks?
Kids below 15 with Parents supervision only
12. What type of food will be provided?
Only Veg local home cooked food is available.
13. Phone Connectivity?
Limited phone connectivity available for most cellular service
15. Is cash payment or spot payment accepted?
Cash payment is not accepted.
Registration against 100% upfront payment only via Paytm / UPI / NEFT / IMPS / Payment Gateway
On the spot payment not accepted.
We need to book in advance bus / jeep and make other arrangements upfront payment is must.
16. Will I get bottled water?
Normal well water shall be provided
17. Can I charge my phone?
No electricity. Please carry a power bank if required
18. How is the weather now?
Summer Temperature Night 20oC - Day 39°C approx
Monsoon it rains very heavily please double pack your expensive phones and gadgets
19. Can we smoke or drink alcohol?
NO. People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit event on immediate basis.
20. Can we listen to music on bluetooth speaker?
Listening to music on earphones or bluetooth speaker is not allowed while trekking, bluetooth speaker not allowed inside homestay
21. How do I make payment?
You can pay online on our website in how to register tabs.
Incase your question is not listed above you can email us email@example.com