Maharashtra is blessed with 720 kms long coastline. Shared with Konkan, Thane, and Ratnagiri also Sindhudurg districts. Many marine creatures come visit. However, the exact count and type are unknown. As from what is believed there is not a detailed study available. In the year 2000-01, it was found that a species of turtle, Olive Ridley is a prominent visitor to the shores of Maharashtra for breeding purposes. Other species are the Green Turtle, Hawksbill and the Leatherback. A lot of the other information is already available online, like what does turtles eat, how a turtle looks like. The difference between a turtle, tortoise and a terrapin.
Why Velas Turtle Festival?
Velas is a small fishing village on the western coast of Maharashtra. About 220 kms away from Mumbai, a little over a hundred houses on the coast of the Arabian Sea. It is that time of the year again - when a tiny grey head pokes out of the golden sand and takes a breath of the fresh salty air of the Arabian Sea. It is a culmination of a lengthy process, which started when, under the cover of darkness, it’s mother emerged out from the rolling waves to lay her heap of 100-120 eggs on the sandy beach. Oblivious to the world that awaits it outside it’s sandy cocoon, the tiny hatchling is soon followed by a hundred others, all crawling their way towards the brightest lights of the horizon- in this case, the sea. TreksandTrails, India invites you to this journey from the nest to the sea which draws oohs and aahs from tourists - each of whom is gathered on the shore to witness this miracle of Nature. The location is Velas, a remote village in Mandangad taluka in Ratnagiri district approx. a 6 hour drive from Mumbai.
- Travelling by A/C Bus
- Hatchling sighting is not guaranteed.
- Maximum batch size is 30 travellers on first come first basis.
- Pick up and Drop at centralized locations only.
Batches for Velas Turtle Festival 2019
- 9th 10th March 2019
- 16th 17th March 2019
- 23rd 24th March 2019
- 30th 31st March 2019
- 6th 7th April 2019
- Travelling by A/C Bus
- Event Type: Tour
- Food Arrangement: Homestay with Veg food already arranged
- Transport: Travel by same private vehicle for the entire tour
- Height of Bankot fort: 500 ft
- Base Village: Velas
- Taluka: Mandangad
- District: Ratnagiri
- Region: Konkan
- Route from Mumbai: Mumbai - Panvel - Mahad - Loner phata - Velas
- Distance from Mumbai: 220 km approx.
- Total time required for climbing Bankot Fort: None
- Total distance for climbing: None
- Parking available: yes
Itinerary for Velas Turtle Festival 2019
Day 0: Friday Night
- Meeting at Pritam Dhaba Dadar East 22:45(Travelling by A/C Bus)
- Departure from Pritam Dhaba: 23:00
- Chembur Diamond garden pickup 23.30
- Vashi below main bridge pickup at 00.15
- Pickup at kalamboli near mc donalds
Day: 1 Saturday
- 04:00 Early morning arrival at Velas Village.
- 06:00 Visit to Velas Beach for Turtle sighting
- 08:00 Breakfast
- 10:30 Visit to Bankot fort
- 13:00 Lunch & Rest
- 17:00 Visit to beach for turtle sightings
- 20:00 Dinner and rest
Day 2 - Sunday
- 06:00 Visit to Velas beach for turtle sighting.
- 08:00 Breakfast
- 10:30 Depart for Harihareshwar temple from Velas village
- 13:00 Lunch
- 14:30 Departure for Mumbai from Harihareshwar temple
- 23:00 Approx. arrival at Dadar – Mumbai.
What is included in the tour
- Travel by AC Bus
- Accommodation in a typical Konkani homestay - Dormitory.
- Saturday: 1 veg breakfast, 1 Veg Lunch, 1 Veg Dinner
- Sunday: 1 Veg breakfast, 1 Veg Lunch
- Sightseeing as per the schedule
- Expertise, guide charges and TreksandTrails, India administration charges if any.
- Ferryboat charges. All entry tickets and permissions. Provision of primary first aid only.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Non-Veg Food, Camera or photography charges if any.
- Dinner on Friday Night and Sunday not included.
- Mineral water and any other item not mentioned in the inclusions list.
Click on the link: Things to carry
1. Can we get a separate room or family rooms at Velas Turtle Festival Homestay?
Currently we are only conducting group event and due to heavy rush on weekends, we can only offer dormitory homestay at Velas Village. Velas Turtle Festival Homestay, Our homestay are dormitory with large halls. We have separate rooms available for Men and Women..
2. Where can I find olive ridley turtles in Konkan coast?
Olive Ridley turtles can be found at many beaches along the konkan coast few beaches mentioned here. Guhagar Beach , Harihar Beach , Velas Beach , Anjarle Beach , Wayangani Beach Vengurla . Best in all the beaches of Konkan coast, Some of the best beaches are available closeby Diveghar Beach, Shirvardhan Beach, Harihareshwar Beach, Kelshi Beach, Anjarle Beach, Karde Beach, Harney Beach, Ladheghar Beach. Due to limited time on tour, we will be covering only Harihareshwar Beach and Velas Beach
3. Food at Velas Village Homestay Food?
We provide local cooked veg food at our homestay.
4. Are toilet available and bathing facility?
Bathing Facility is available, Hot Water Facility is not available. Toilets are eastern commode
5. Velas Village mobile connectivity?
Range is available few spots near the village, Idea sim cards have good range. There is load Shedding. Carry power bank electricity is not available for some periods due to load shedding at Velas Village
6. What are the things to do there?
Some fun things to do during Kasav Festival Velas Village, Bird Watching, Fireflies Velas Village, Bankot Fort, Taking part in Turtle Festival Velas Village, Night walk around the coast road, Relaxing by the beach and watching sunrise and sunset
7. Velas Turtle Festival or Velas Kasav Jatra timing?
- Starts early morning 6.30 am at Velas Beach
- Sarts evening 5.30 pm at Velas Beach
8. Will Harihareshwar Temple and Harihareshwar Beach will be visited? Harihareshwar Temple and Harihareshwar Beach will be visited on Sunday
9. What are the dates for the festival?
Velas Turtle Festival Dates are released after locals handling conservation inform us with approx dates of Baby Turtle Hatching.