Maharashtra is blessed with 720 km long coastline. Shared with Konkan, Thane, and Ratnagiri also Sindhudurg districts. Many marine creatures come to visit. However, the exact count and type are unknown. As from what is believed there is not a detailed study available. In the year 2000-01, it was found that a species of turtle, Olive Ridley is a prominent visitor to the shores of Maharashtra for breeding purposes. Other species are the Green Turtle, Hawksbill and the Leatherback. A lot of the other information is already available online, like what do turtles eat, how a turtle looks like. The difference between a turtle, tortoise and a terrapin.
Why Velas Turtle Festival?
Velas is a small fishing village on the western coast of Maharashtra. About 220 km away from Mumbai, a little over a hundred houses on the coast of the Arabian Sea. It is that time of the year again when a tiny grey head pokes out of the golden sand and takes a breath of the fresh salty air of the Arabian Sea. It is a culmination of a lengthy process, which started when, under the cover of darkness, its mother emerged out from the rolling waves to lay her heap of 100-120 eggs on the sandy beach. Oblivious to the world that awaits it outside its a sandy cocoon, the tiny hatchling is soon followed by a hundred others, all crawling their way towards the brightest lights of the horizon- in this case, the sea. TreksandTrails, India invites you to this journey from the nest to the sea which draws oohs and aahs from tourists - each of whom is gathered on the shore to witness this miracle of Nature. The location is Velas, a remote village in Mandangad taluka in Ratnagiri district approx. a 6-hour drive from Mumbai. Olive Ridley turtles Velas conservation trends and knowledge has spread to nearby villages who have also started similar Velas Kasav Mahotsav.
- Travelling by A/C Bus
- Hatchling sighting is not guaranteed.
- Maximum batch size is 30 travellers on first come first basis.
- Pick up and Drop at centralized locations only.
- Travelling by A/C Bus
- Event Type: Tour
- Food Arrangement: Homestay with Jain, Veg food, Non-Veg Food already arranged
- Velas Bus Transport Travel by the same private vehicle for the entire tour
- Height of Bankot fort 500 feet first residency of East India Company in Southern Konkan.
- Base Village Velas, Velas Taluka Mandangad, Velas District Ratnagiri, Velas Region Konkan
- Route from Mumbai: Mumbai - Panvel - Mahad - Loner phata - Velas
- Distance from Mumbai to Velas 220 km.
- Total time required for climbing Bankot Fort none.Total distance for climbing None
- Parking is available at Velas village
Itinerary for Velas Turtle Festival 2020
Day Zero - Friday Night
Meeting at Pritam Dhaba Dadar East 22:45 (Travelling by A/C Bus)
- Departure from Pritam Dhaba: 23:00
- Chembur Diamond garden pickup: 23.30
- Vashi below main bridge pickup at 00.15
- Pickup at Kalamboli near Mc Donald`s
Day One: Saturday
04:00 Early morning arrival at Velas Village quickly freshen up at visit the Velas Conversation centre at the beach.
06:00 Visit to Velas Beach for Turtle sighting
08:00 Breakfast at Velas Beach Homestay
10:30 Visit to Bankot fort also known as Himmatgad Fort / Harihareshwar Fort.
13:00 Lunch & Rest
17:00 Visit to the beach for turtle sightings
20:00 Dinner and walk around the coastal road with the sound of sea waves and the beautiful night sky.
Day Two: Sunday
06:00 Visit to Velas beach for turtle sighting.
08:00 Early Breakfast
09:30 Depart for Harihareshwar temple from Velas village
11:00 We will cross the Bankot creek, Savitri River in a boat with the Bus from Veshvi Jungle Jetty to Bagmandala jetty
13:00 Lunch not included at Harihareshwar in the Velas package
14:30 Departure for Mumbai from Harihareshwar temple
23:00 Approx. arrival at Dadar – Mumbai.
What is included in the tour
- Travel by AC Bus (with transport option)
- Accommodation in a typical Konkani homestay - Dormitory.
- Day 1: 1 veg breakfast, 1 Veg Lunch, 1 Veg Dinner
- Sunday: 1 Veg breakfast
- Sightseeing as per the schedule
- Expertise, guide charges and TreksandTrails, India administration charges if any.
- Ferryboat charges. (with transport option)
- All entry tickets and permissions. Provision of primary first aid only.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Non-Veg Food
- Lunch on Day 2
- Dinner on Friday Night and Sunday not included.
- Mineral water and any other item not mentioned in the inclusions list
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered.
- Any kind of personal expenses (Camera fees, entry fees, etc.)
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required.
- Torch with extra batteries
- Extra pair of clothes & towel
- Trekking shoes for trekking
- Comfortable footwear
- Personal medicines (if any)
- Mosquito repellent cream
- Sun cap and Sunscreen
- Identity proof
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to the event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If Trek gets canceled we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
1. Can we get a separate room or family rooms at Velas Turtle Festival Homestay?
Currently, we are only conducting group event and due to heavy rush on weekends, we can only offer dormitory homestay at Velas Village. Velas Turtle Festival Homestay, Our homestay are dormitory with large halls. We have separate rooms available for Men and Women. Velas beach resort is not available at Velas Beach Ratnagiri or Velas village. Resorts are available Dapoli or Harihareshwar only.
2. Where can I find olive ridley turtles in Konkan coast?
Olive Ridley turtles can be found at many beaches along the Konkan coast few beaches mentioned here. Guhagar Beach, Harihar Beach, Velas Agar Beach, Anjarle Beach, Wayangani Beach Vengurla. Best in all the beaches of Konkan coast, Some of the best beaches are available closeby Diveghar Beach, Shirvardhan Beach, Harihareshwar Beach, Bankot beach, Kelshi Beach, Anjarle Beach, Karde Beach, Harney Beach, Ladheghar Beach. Due to limited time on tour, we will be covering only Harihareshwar Beach and Velas Beach
3. The food at Velas Village Homestay Food? We provide locally cooked Jain, veg, non-veg food at our homestay. Food quality is a good one same meal which locals cook for themselves. Velas homestay owners are famous for their hospitality, food, tourist flock during the turtle festival in Velas.
4. Are toilet available and bathing facility?
Bathing Facility is available, Hot Water Facility is not available. Toilets are eastern commode
5. Velas Village mobile connectivity?
The range is available a few spots near the village, Idea sim cards have a good range. There is load Shedding. Carry power bank electricity is not available for some periods due to load shedding at Velas Village.
6. What are the things to do at Velas Turtle Festival? Some fun things to do during Kasav Festival Velas Village. Bird Watching you can spot my different species of birds and play competition who spots the most different birds and identifies them. Fireflies Velas Village are visible in the evening at certain spots, Bankot Fort Ratnagiri historical very important as the first residency of East India British Company in India, Taking part in Turtle Festival Velas Village, Night walk around the coastal road, Relaxing by the beach and watching sunrise and sunset. Watching Dolphins in the sea from Velas beach and Harihareshwar beach. You can visit the Anjarle Turtle festival around 40 km from Velas. Anjarle beach is untouched and charming village many homestays are available right where the beach ends. Boat ride to Suvarnadurg Fort, watch the fish auction at Harney Beach. Darshan at Harihareshwar temple and shop local produce from the market.
7. Velas Turtle Festival Timings or Velas Kasav Jatra timing? Velas Turtle Hatching release timings?
You should reach Velas beach at 6.30 am in the morning. For evening Velas turtle release arrive at the beach at 5.30 pm.
8. Will Harihareshwar Temple and Harihareshwar Beach will be visited? Harihareshwar Temple and Harihareshwar Beach will be visited on Sunday.
9. What are the dates for the Velas festival?
Velas Turtle Festival Dates are released after locals handling conservation inform us with approx dates of Baby Turtle Hatching.