Velas Turtle Festival Information 2022
Maharashtra is blessed with a 720 kilometres long coastline and is shared with Konkan, Thane, Ratnagiri also Sindhudurg districts. Many marine creatures come to visit. However, the exact count and type are unknown from what is believed, and there is no detailed study available. In the year 2000-01, it was found that a species of turtle, Olive Ridley is a prominent visitor to the shores of Maharashtra for breeding purposes. Other species are the Green Turtle, Hawksbill and Leatherback. Much other information is already available online, like what turtles eat and how a turtle looks—the difference between a turtle, tortoise and a terrapin.
After the success of the Velas turtle conservation project, many villages in Maharashtra have started the same model and hosting the Turtle festival in India at different locations. It helps with seasonal tourism income and also helps increase turtle numbers in the sea.
Why Velas Turtle Festival Maharashtra?
Velas is a small fishing village on the western coast of Maharashtra. About 220 km away from Mumbai, a little over a hundred houses on the coast of the Arabian Sea. It is that time of the year again when a tiny grey head pokes out of the golden sand and takes a breath of the fresh salty air of the Arabian Sea.
It is a culmination of a lengthy process, which started when its mother emerged out from the rolling waves to lay her heap of 100-120 eggs on the sandy beach under cover of darkness. Oblivious to the world that awaits it outside its a sandy cocoon, the tiny hatchling is soon followed by a hundred others, all crawling their way towards the brightest lights of the horizon- in this case, the sea.
Treks and Trails, India invites you to this journey from the nest to the sea, which draws oohs and aahs from tourists - each gathered on the shore to witness this miracle of Nature. The location is Velas, a remote village in Mandangad taluka in Ratnagiri district approx. A six to seven-hour drive from Mumbai. Olive Ridley turtles' conservation trends and knowledge have spread to nearby villages that have also started similar Velas Kasav Mahotsav. Velas turtle festival best time to visit is from February to April to see the baby turtles being released at the Velas beach.
Velas Turtle Festival 2022 from Pune Itinerary and event details - Please Click here
Velas Turtle Festival Cost - Rs 2999/- per person (5 Years and above)
Kindly Note Velas Kasav Mahotsav 2022 Tour package information
- Travelling by A/C Bus.
- On Ghat road, the AC might be switched off.
- Due to the closure of the Ambet Ghat travelling route has changed from Mahad city.
- Bus breakdowns are possible due to bad roads conditions.
- Hatchling sighting is not guaranteed.
- The maximum batch size is 30 travellers on a first-come, first basis.
- Pick up and Drop at centralized locations only.
- Turtle Festival Velas is a budget trip
- We will stay at Homestay at a locals house.
- Food will be local Konkani cuisine
- Velas turtle festival 2022 dates are available for all weekends in April.
Itinerary for Velas Turtle Festival 2022
Day Zero - Friday Night
Meeting at Pritam Dhaba Dadar East 20:40 (Travelling by A/C Bus)
- Departure from Dadar Pritam Dhaba: 21:00
- Chembur Diamond garden pickup: 21.30
- Vashi below central bridge pickup at 22.15
- Pickup at Kalamboli near Mc Donald's 23.00
We are meeting early as the route from Mumbai to Velas village has changed due to the closure of Ambet Ghat.
Day One: Saturday
- 06:00: Early morning arrival at Velas Village quickly freshen up at Visit the Velas Conversation centre at the beach.
- 06:30: Visit Velas Beach for Turtle sighting
- 07:00: Release of the Olive Ridley Baby Turtle into the sea
- 08:00: Relax by the Velas beach and enjoy the sunrise.
- 08:30: Breakfast at Velas Village Homestay
- 10:30: Visit Bankot fort, also known as Himmatgad Fort or Harihareshwar Fort.
- 13:00: Lunch & Rest at our Konkani Homestay
- 17:00: Visit the Velas beach for Olive Ridley Baby Turtle release sighting
- 18:30: Enjoy the calmness of Velas Beach and watch the Sunset.
- 19:30: Watch the Fireflies at our secret spot.
- 20:00: Dinner at the Homestay
- 22:00: Walk around the coastal road with the sound of sea waves and the beautiful night sky for those still awake.
- 23:00: Watch the beautiful night sky filled with millions of stars and Milkyway galaxy.
Day Two: Sunday
- 06:00: Visit Velas beach for baby turtles released by the Kasav Mitra Mandal
- 07:00: Watch the release into the sea of Olive ridley baby turtles for the one last time.
- 07:30: Leave for the Velas Village Homestay
- 08:00: Early Breakfast. We request to pack one night before the trip.
- 08:30: Depart for Harihareshwar temple from Velas village
- 09:30: We will cross the Bankot creek, Savitri River in a boat with the Bus from Veshvi Jungle Jetty to Bagmandala jetty
- 10:30: Please note there can be waiting involved today as 12 cars go in the jetty or boat.
- 11:30: Reach Harihareshwar Beach and visit the Harihareshwar Temple
- 12:30: Pradakshina path surrounding the temple and runs along the beach. During high tide, we will avoid taking this route.
- 13:30: Lunch at Harihareshwar and 20 minutes for shopping at Harihareshwar Market.
- 15:00: Departure for Mumbai from Harihareshwar temple
- 23:00: Approx. Arrival at Dadar – Mumbai.
There can be delays due to bad road conditions, bus breakdowns, health issues of fellow group travellers, and breaks for the driver.
Turtle Festival Velas Event Details 2022
- Travelling by A/C Bus
- The stay will be in a Velas turtle festival homestay.
- Food Arrangement: Homestay with Veg food already arranged
- Velas Bus Transport Travel by the exact private vehicle for the entire tour
- The height of Bankot fort or Himmatgad is 500 feet above sea level, the first residency of East India Company in Southern Konkan.
- Base Village Velas, Velas Taluka Mandangad, Velas District Ratnagiri, Velas Region Konkan
- Route from Mumbai to Velas turtle festival of India > Mumbai - Panvel - Mahad - Madangad - Velas
- Route from Velas to Mumbai: Velas to Vesvi - Bagmandle Ferry Boat to Harihareshwar to Mhasla to Pen to Panvel to Dadar Mumbai
- Distance from Mumbai to Velas 220 kilometres.
- The total time required for visiting Bankot Fort is two to three hours.
- Total distance for climbing none. The bus will go to the parking of the Fort.
- The bus will go to the parking of the Fort.
- Parking is available at Velas village.
- Please note Bus breakdowns are possible due to bad road conditions on the highway
- Route changes are possible due to road closure or traffic.
What is included in the tour
- Travel by AC Bus (with transport option)
- Accommodation in a typical Konkani homestay - Dormitory.
- Day 1: 1 veg breakfast, 1 Veg Lunch, 1 Veg Dinner
- Sunday: 1 Veg breakfast, 1 Veg Lunch
- Sightseeing as per the schedule
- Expertise, guide charges and TreksandTrails, India administration charges if any.
- Ferryboat charges. (with transport option)
- All entry tickets and permissions. Provision of primary first aid only.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Non-Veg Food
- Dinner on Friday Night and Sunday not included.
- Mineral water and any other item not mentioned in the inclusions list
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered.
- Any kind of personal expenses (Camera fees, entry fees, etc.)
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required.
- Torch with extra batteries
- Extra pair of clothes & towel
- Trekking shoes for trekking
- Comfortable footwear
- Personal medicines (if any)
- Mosquito repellent cream
- Sun cap and Sunscreen
- Identity proof
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to the event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If Trek gets canceled we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
Question Answer about Velas beach turtle festival 2022
1: Can we get a separate room or family room at Velas Turtle Festival Homestay?
Currently, we are only conducting group events, and due to the heavy rush on weekends, we can only offer dormitory homestays at Velas Village.
Velas Turtle Festival Homestay, Our Velas turtle festival accommodation is a dormitory with large halls. We have separate rooms available for Men and Women. Velas beach resort is not available at Velas Beach Ratnagiri or Velas village. Resorts are available in Dapoli or Harihareshwar only.
2: Where can I find olive ridley turtles on Konkan coast?
Apart from Velas Maharashtra, Olive Ridley turtles can be found at many beautiful beaches along the Konkan coast, few beaches mentioned here. Guhagar Beach, Harihar Beach, Velas Agar Beach, Anjarle Beach, Wayangani Beach Vengurla. Best in all, the beaches of the Konkan coast.
Some of the best beaches are available close by Diveghar Beach, Shirvardhan Beach, Harihareshwar Beach, Bankot beach, Kelshi Beach, Anjarle Beach, Karde Beach, Harney Beach, Ladheghar Beach, Ganapatipule beach. Due to limited time on tour, we will be covering only Harihareshwar Beach and Velas Beach. Many olive ridley turtles conservation projects are active on the Konkan coastline; only a few are open for tourists by the forest department and olive ridley turtles conservation team.
3: The food at Velas Village Homestay Food?
We provide locally cooked Jain, Veg, Non-veg food at our Velas Turtle Festival stay. Food quality is the same meal that locals cook for themselves; it is Konkani cuisine. Velas homestay owners are famous for their hospitality, food, tourist flock during the turtle festival in Velas.
4: Are toilets available and a bathing facility?
A bathing facility is available, and a hot water facility is unavailable. Toilets are the eastern commode.
Velas beach lines have no toilet facility. Tourism is open for a few limited months in the Village, so most homestays are very basic. Turtle Festival at Velas Every year, thousands of tourists from India flock to this vibrant coastal Village for the annual festival.
5: Velas Village mobile connectivity?
The range is available in a few spots near the Village, and Idea sim cards have a good range. There is load Shedding, and carry power bank electricity is unavailable for some periods due to load shedding at Velas Village. Bankot fort has good mobile connectivity and Harihareshwar beach.
6: What are the things to do at Velas Turtle Festival?
Some fun things to do during Kasav Festival Velas Village. Bird Watching, you can spot my different species of birds and play competition who spots the most different birds and identifies them. Fireflies in Velas Village are visible in the evening at certain spots. Enjoy the village life at Velas beach Konkan Homestay stay.
Bankot Fort Ratnagiri historical very important as the first residency of East India British Company in India, Taking part in Turtle Festival Velas Village, Night walk around the coastal road, Relaxing by the beach and watching sunrise and Sunset.
Watching Dolphins in the sea from Velas beach and Harihareshwar beach. You can visit the Anjarle Turtle festival around 40 km from Velas. Anjarle beach is an untouched and charming Village. Many homestays are available right where the beach ends. Boat ride to Suvarnadurg Fort, watch the fish auction at Harney Beach. Darshan at Harihareshwar temple and shop local produce from the market.
7: Velas Turtle Festival Timings or Velas Kasav Jatra timing? Velas Turtle Hatching release timings?
It would be best if you reached Velas beach at 6.30 am. For evening Velas turtle release arrive at the beach at 5.30 pm. Locals release Velas turtle festival 2022 dates, the forest department and the Kasav Mitra Mandal Velas conservation team. Baby olive ridley turtles are released around Sunrise and Sunset every day.
8: Will Harihareshwar Temple and Harihareshwar Beach will be visited?
Harihareshwar Temple and Harihareshwar Beach will be seen on Sunday. Please note there are no Velas beach resorts or Velas Beach hotels available only homestays. Velas beach to Harihareshwar, We need to board a jetty at Vesvi - Bagmandle Ferry Boat.
9: What are the dates for the Velas festival?
Velas Turtle Festival Dates are released after Kasav Mitra information centre, who handle conservation, inform us with approx dates of Baby Turtle Hatching. Turtle festival Velas beach is conducted to help locals make a living through eco-tourism and increase awareness about turtle habitat conversation.
कासव मित्र मंडळ usually conducts the festival from February to April every year at Velas beach in Konkan
10. Can you tell me about Velas turtle festival 2021 and Velas turtle festival 2020?
Hi both the years the turtle festival Velas was cancelled by the forest department due to covid guidelines. The villagers suffered huge loss of income from turtle festival cancellation. Later they also lost livehood due to cyclone.
Velas beach place is 20 minutes walking distance from most homestays at the end of the Village. Kasav Mitra Mandal Information boards guide you in the right direction. Many informative boards have also been put up with information about the wildlife in the region.
11. Velas turtle festival best time to visit?
Have you heard about the Velas Turtle Festival 2022? It takes place in February, March, sometimes upto April, and is held on Velas beach is considered of milestone importance to ecology in Konkan.
This year, the festival offers a chance to get up close with olive ridley turtles and learn how they are threatened by hunting, habitat loss, and excessive fishing. The best time to visit Velas turtle festival 2022 is in March.
12. Why should you visit the Velas beach turtle festival?
Support #VelasTurtleFestival to help with olive ridley turtle conservation and ecotourism and provide a natural habitat if the oceans are important to you. Watch baby turtles being released into the sea. Dive into the ecotourism movement and save the local community after the financial depression due to Covid19 and Cyclone Tauktae.
13: When is Velas turtle festival conducted in Maharashtra?
The local people of Velas Village have devised a unique way to help conserve sea turtles by hosting a festival. Depending on the number of olive ridley egg nests collected for conservation and safe release of turtles into the sea, it is held from February to April. You have the chance to visit and join in on the festivities.
14: When is the Velas turtle festival 2022?
Velas Turtle Festival, India's first beach-based turtle conservation event, is here to make you fall in love with Nature. The perfect getaway A pristine beach, baby turtles in their natural habitat, dolphins, fireflies — what more could you wish for? Velas Turtle festival 2022 dates are from February to April last weekend.
15: What are the chances of seeing Velas sea turtles?
We will see the release of Olive ridley baby turtles hatched naturally at the conservation centre. The sighting of Velas sea baby turtles depends on many factors, including weather, the number of days from laying eggs, and more.
Even the dates of the events are decided after understanding these factors; nothing can be a successful sighting of the baby turtle is not guaranteed.
The Turtle Conservation Center is home to a highly successful Olive Ridley turtle breeding program that releases thousands of baby turtles into the ocean each year. Find the most fantastic turtle conservation experience in Maharashtra at the Velas Turtle Festival.
Oneness with Nature. Get to know the wild side of Nature by interacting with the endangered baby olive ridley turtles at Velas Turtle Festival.
16: Do you offer a Shrivardhan beach visit on your Velas Sea Turtle tour?
Sorry, due to limited time availability, we cannot visit Shrivardhan beach during or Velas Turtle Tour.
17: Can we see the images of the Velas turtle festival for 2022?
We have added our latest tour images in the photo gallery available around the top right corner. Velas turtle festival celebration, Harihareshwar beach, Bankot fort and many more pictures are general in the gallery.
18: Do you offer a Shrivardhan beach visit on your Velas Sea Turtle tour?
Sorry, due to limited time availability, we cannot visit Shrivardhan beach during or Velas Turtle Tour.
19: Can we see the images of the Konkan Velas turtle festival for 2022?
We have added our latest tour images in the photo gallery available around the top right corner. Velas turtle festival photos, Harihareshwar beach, Bankot fort and many more pictures are general in the gallery.
20: Does Harihareshwar have a turtle conservation site?
Yes, Harihareshwar has also started a promising turtle festival. However, it has not become trendy yet. This is your chance to experience a once-in-a-lifetime olive ridley turtle festival at Harihareshwar, help with wildlife conservation, and support the locals with Agro tourism.
An uninhabited, virgin beach that still has a beautiful natural, laid back vibe. Harihareshwar is also a turtle conservation site meaning you'll be able to help save the world at the same time!
21: Is swimming allowed at Velas Beach?
Tourists visit Velas for beautiful beaches and some of the most diverse wildlife in Maharashtra. Not just turtles - you'll also find dolphins, fireflies, butterflies and crabs inhabiting our shores!
Swimming is not allowed on the calm sea beach. The pristine beaches invite tourists though the newly released baby turtles usually hang around the Velas beach lines, and there are chances of stepping on them. The strong sea currents make it one of the dangerous beaches for swimming.
22: Velas Turtle festival dates from Pune for April 2022?
Experience the best of Maharashtra; The Velas Turtle Festival 2022 from Pune is the perfect escape for those who want to enjoy the beauty of beach life, wildlife, heritage and more!
Velas Turtle Festival 2022 dates from Pune are available on weekends of April. The trip starts Friday night and ends in Pune on Sunday night.
A breathtaking experience, With a spectacular coastline, where the deep blue Arabian Sea meets the golden sands of the Harihareshwar beach, this is one festival you don't want to miss.
Velas Turtle Festival from Pune is available; please click here.
23: How to complete Velas Turtle Festival booking?
Velas is a small coastal village in Konkan, attracting tourists for its stunning beaches, baby turtle conservation project and the beautiful Harihareshwar beach. If you have any questions, kindly chat with us. The cost includes Velas Turtle Festival entry fees of Rs 100 per head.
You can click on the book now button to register for the tour. For information regarding the Velas turtle festival contact number are 8828004949.
24: Can we book for Velas beach turtle festival 2022 dates in advance?
Yes, we accept booking in advance due to increased rush after covid19. Velas beach homestay has minimal capacity. They try to accommodate most tourists who visit the village as there is no Velas agar beach resort.
25: How is the Velas beach weather?
Velas has a warm climate with average temperatures ranging from 30 to 40 degrees Celcius. The weather is humid and hot during the summer, February to April. Velas beach temperature at night is more relaxed. It's always breezy in this part of Konkan, making it great to walk on the beach or take long walks on the coastline.