Stargazing at Mahuli
Stargazing for the first time? Don't worry. The overnight session at Mahuli will be a perfect initiation for you into astronomy.
All you have to do is enjoy the beautiful skyline of the Mahuli mountain ranges and gaze at the stars under the open skies with us. Just 1.5 hours from the city our Mahuli sessions offer a perfect blend of experiences & education in Astronomy.
- Location: Mahuli village
- Cost: Rs. 450/- per person
Addons (Prior registration required)
- Transportation (Asangaon station to Mahuli and back to Asangan station): Rs. 80/- per person
- Dinner (2 vegetable curry (sabji), Rice Bhakari (roti), rice, daal, Salad and achar): Rs. 250/- per person
How to Reach
1. Private vehicle – We’ll share map location with you.
2. Public transport - People travelling by public transport can reach Asangaon station by central railway. We will have bus ready near the station to take you to the Patil farm. You are expected to reach the Asangaon Station between 4:30 pm and 5:00 pm.
- 14:42 CSMT
- 14:55 Dadar
- 15:02 Kurla
- 15:06 Ghatkopar
- 15:23 Thane
- 15:46 Dombivli
- 15:57 Kalyan
- 16:32 Asangaon
Stargazing at Mahuli Event Itinerary
Day 1 - Saturday
16:40 Reach Asangaon station.
17:00 Head towards the field.
18:00 Registration and settling down on the field.
19:30 Orientation and introduction to the night sky.
20:00 Constellation session I.
21:10 Viewing through the telescope.
22:00 Dinner Break.
23:30 Cosmological/scientific discussion.
Day 2 - Sunday
00:30 Question Answer Session.
01:30 Tea break.
02:00 Constellation Session II & Nakshatra session.
03:00 See Deep sky objects through telescope.
04:00 Morning planet & Moon.
05:30 Check out and disperse.
Note: This itinerary and Stargazing are subject to clear skies – in case the skies get cloudy the organizers may not be able to do much and a refund will not be possible.
- Drinking is strictly prohibited. Smoking in vicinity of the site is forbidden.
- You are expected to reach Asangaon station by 4:30 pm. Bus service will be available between 5 pm and 6 pm on Saturday from Asangaon to Patil Farm. On Sunday morning bus will leave Patil farm between 6 am and 7 am for the station.
- For female participants – we have basic facilities for washrooms available. Our team has female members who will be present on the field for entire night.
- This is an educational program and not a luxury trip. All are requested to maintain the spirit of the program and co-operate. No unruly behavior towards fellow participants will be tolerated.
- Parking facility for private vehicle is available.
- No one should wander off the field. Do not visit the forest area even during the day time.
- Any kind of misbehavior which causes disturbance to other participants will not be tolerated and immediate action will be taken against the person or the group.
- You will be responsible for your personal belongings. If you are carrying telescopes, binoculars, tripods stand, camera etc., then please be careful with your own equipment. We will help you with setting the instruments, if you require it.
- Smoking and Drinking Alcohol is strictly prohibited on the field. Drunken participants will be asked to leave the field immediately. The organizers reserve the right to remove offending participants from the field.
What is included in the tour
- Fees for overnight stargazing session.
- Two times tea and drinking water will be available.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Travel till Mahuli village and back
- Dinner for night
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required
- Your id proof like aadhar card, pan card, driving license.
- Warm cloths. The temperature considerably drops during the night time.
- Carry mattress/ carpet/ bed sheet. This is very important since you need to lie down. We will not be able to provide/ arrange for this.
- We will be near forest area so please wear socks and shoes in possible.
- Torch with extra batteries, you will need it in the dark. Also don’t forget to cover it with red cellophane paper (gelatin paper). Do Not Flash Bright Torch or Camera Flash on others during Observation Sessions. Human Eye requires 30 Minutes to completely adapt to the Dark Night Sky.
- Dinner and water (if unable to do so, please inform us prior to the event). We will also advise you to carry some snacks and soft drinks since you won’t be able to buy anything around the field. Please carry drinking water bottle, you will be able to refill the water.
- Your medication and mosquito repellent cream.
- A Diary and Pen in case you want to make note of things.
- For Astrophotography, participant should bring in their own DSLR Camera, Tripod, Remote, Charger and Extra Battery.
1. What is difference between mahuli and dehane event?
Dehane event focuses more on observational astronomy and astrophotography. We focus on deep sky object viewing. We have a smaller group for dehane compared to Mahuli. Dehane is all inclusive package. It includes meals, stay in the tent and transportation from Asangaon station and back. This session is for the people who want to dive into stargazing, camping and astrophotography.
2. Do we have washrooms and drinking water?
Yes, we do have basic amenities available like washrooms and drinking water available. Please carry you bottle to refill water.
3. What about Security?
The area is fenced and we take care of the security around the field. If you wander off the field it won’t be our responsibility.
4. Do we have mosquitoes?
We do not face mosquito problems but it advised to carry mosquito repellent.
5. Are tents available at Mahuli?
No. We do not have tent facility at Mahuli Event.
6. What is the distance of Patil farm from highway or Asangaon station?
7. Who can attend the program?
Anyone who is interested to learn or enjoy stargazing can attend this program. No prior knowledge is required.