Kedarkantha Trek - Hiking & Trekking in the Himalayas
A Perfect Winter & Snow Trek in the Himalayas
Kedarkantha Trekking is to reach the Kedarkantha peak in the mountain range of the Tons river valley. It is the most beautiful rounded peak and most sought after snow trekking destinations in India. Even in winter, a trek to Kedarkantha is possible as the trail path is through the dense forests and vast meadows. One will get soaked into the aura as we walk through the protected area of Govind national park. Our destination path is full of pictorial view nestled at the Kedarkantha height at 3810 meters above sea level covering a consolidated distance of 20 km — a delightful marvel for all trekkers with the verdant greenery, lush landscapes, myriad collection of flora, frozen ponds, to the sights of mesmerizing peaks. Himalaya Trekking hidden jewel the best winter season hike.
Kedarkantha Trek Event Basic Details
- Location: Garhwal Himalayas, Uttarakhand.
- Duration: 6 days / 5 nights
- Maximum Kedarkantha altitude 3800 meters / 12500 feet above sea level
- Grade: Easy to Moderate
- Kedarkantha Trek Package Rs.9,000 + 5% GST. (Per person - Dehradun to Dehradun)
How to reach Kedarkantha Winter Trek
Dehradun brings the closest to our base location with the airport Jolly Grant. It is well connected to all the states and cities with a daily flight from Delhi.
From Delhi - DDN NZM AC EXPRESS (2205)
From Kolkata - Doon Express (13009)
From Mumbai - Dehradun Express (19019)
From Chennai - Dehradun express (12687)
Dehradun is well connected by roads across the country with NH 72 connecting regions like Panchkula, Chandigarh, and Shimla. There are ample local and private buses to Dehradun.
Kedarkantha Trek Route Map - Kedarkantha Trek Map
Click here for Blog - Kedarkantha Trek Blog
Kedarkantha Trek Event Itinerary
Day 1: Dehradun – Sankri 8 hour drive
The journey will start at 6.00 am from Dehradun Railway Station to Sankri and it will take around 9 hrs. We will drive via Dehradun and Mussoorie, alongside the Yamuna and also passes by beautiful pine forests. On reaching Sankri, we will explore the scenic hamlet to prepare for the trek. Overnight stay at Sankri.
Day 2: Sankri Base Camp to Juda-ka-Talab - 4 Km (9100 Feet)
Our trek commences from today for a distance of 4km. We will start our trek to Juda-ka-Talab by moving out of Sankri, towards Sor and upwards on an inclined road that moves parallel to a beautiful stream. We cross many babbling brooks amidst the dense forest, whilst walking on a lush carpet of maple and pine leaves. The sounds of the streams mingled with the Twitter of birds and the calls of the langur greet your eyes. Juda-ka-Talab is a pristine lake surrounded by pines. It is situated at a height of 9100 feet. Overnight stay in tents.
Day 3: Juda-ka-Talab to Kedarkantha Base – 2.5km (11200 Feet)
Today we start our trek to the Kedarkantha base camp which is at a height of 11,200 feet and is 2.5km away from Juda-ka-Talab. The distance can be covered at a leisurely pace post breakfast. We enter the beautiful forest once again and as we climb higher, the ridge gets steeper. As if to compensate for its steepness, the landscape is dotted with charming not meadows. We will reach the campsite by the afternoon. Overnight stay in tents.
Day 4: Kedarkantha base camp to Kedarkantha Summit (3,810 m) and back to Hargaon (2,713 m)
This is the day you’ve been working hard for! The trek from the base camp to the summit is not a long one. On reaching the summit, your jaw is going to drop and your eyes will not blink. The Kedarkantha summit is marked by an arrangement of stones with a Trishul that points to the sky. The summit offers an astonishing 360-degree view of the peaks of Uttarakhand and the Chaainsheel Pass and Kailash ranges of Himachal. From the top, you can also see the Har Ki Dun valley below. The story behind Kedarkantha is an interesting one. The name literally means the throat of Lord Shiva (Kedar refers to Lord Shiva and Kantha means Throat). The legend has it that this peak was supposed to be the original Kedarnath temple but Lord Shiva, who disguised himself as a cowhiding from the Pandavas was disturbed during meditation by the villagers. The interruption made him change his location from this peak to the present Kedarnath temple. We hike back to the base camp after spending a good time on the summit. Post lunch we head towards Hargaon (2 km trail). Hargaon is a large camping area en route to Sankri. An overnight stay is required before saying goodbye to the beautiful place.
Day 5: Hargaon to Sankri
Today we head down to Sankri. It takes about 2-3 hours to finish this 4 km trek route of the day. For the rest of the day, you can explore the village of Sankri, which is known to be the heart of the Har Ki Dun valley, along with other villages like Gangad and Osla. Sankri is a typical “Pahari” village, with unbeatable hospitality offered by the locals. It is also the last road head to the Govind Ballabh Pant Wildlife Sanctuary
Day 6: Sankri – Dehradun eight hours Drive
We will check out after breakfast by 8 am and start our return journey towards Dehradun. We will reach Dehradun by evening. The glorious trek ends here.
Kedarkantha Trek Cost Rs. 9000 + 5% GST. (Per person - Dehradun to Dehradun)
Kedarkantha Trek - The best winter trek in the Himalayas
Are you excited to go for the Kedarkantha Trek? Plan The Unplanned is all set to take you for an adventure in the Himalayas! Join us, now! Complete information on the Kedarkantha trek. Trek details, experiences, maps, photos, videos, when to go, what to take, how difficult is the trek, etc. only at Treks and Trails India
Mountains laden with white snow and the perfect sunrise, Kedarkantha is truly the best winter trek in India. Here's everything you need to know about it. The Kedarkantha Trek Peak is one of the most sought after snow trekking destinations in Uttarakhand India.
Kedarkantha trek in Uttarakhand is the best trek for the winter season, mountains wrapped with snow gives you the wide view of a Himalayan peak. Kedarkantha Trek is one of the most fascinating and thrilling trekking tours which provides all the excitement but with limited challenges and in much less time.
Fringed with pine trees and adorned with the beauty of snow, the Kedarkantha Peak is one of the most sought after snow-trekking destinations in the country. Treks In Uttarakhand are best during snow season. Kedarkantha best time for the trek is during the winter season. Winter treks in the Himalayas most famous destination in India.
What is included in the tour
- Transport support from Dehradun to Dehradun: Starting from a pickup on Day 1 to drop on Day 6
- All vegetarian meals starting from dinner on day 1 breakfast to day 6
- Professional guide, cook and support staff
- Rent for camping equipment
- Forest entry charges
- Porter and mule support to carry camping equipment.
- Please note that personal luggage can be carried by mules and/or porters on a chargeable basis.
- Tented accommodation throughout the trek on a triple sharing basis. Guesthouse accommodation on Day 1 and Day 5 on triple sharing basis (INR 2000 extra for twin sharing)
What is NOT included in the tour
- Transport to reach Dehradun from hometown and return
- Personal expenses like tips, personal medicines, phone calls, etc.
- Any transport support during the trek other than those specified in Inclusions
- Accommodation in Dehradun
- Porter/mule charges for personal luggage per bag per person (< 12 kg)- INR 300 per day
- Any cost arising due to unforeseen events like bad weather, roadblocks, medical evacuation, etc.
- Rent for walking poles: INR 50 per pole per day
- Rent for trekking shoes: INR 200 per pair per day
For trekking equipment rental you can connect with Bragpacker.com
- 1 Pair of Thermal
- 3 Pair of Socks + 1 Pair of woollen socks
- 2 Pair of Hand Gloves (Water Proof & Fleece material)
- Sun Cap
- Woollen Cap
- Neck Warmer (Scarf/Buff)
- 2 Quick Dry Full Sleeves (T-Shirt)
- 1 Full sleeves Fleece
- 1 Wind Proof Jacket (windcheater/Heavy Jacket)
- 2 Track Pants (No Cotton or Jeans)
- Sun Glass
- Sun scream, Lip balm, Moisturizer
- Trek Pole
- Trekking Shoes (No Sports shoes or Woodland shoes)
- Poncho ( The Gear used to protect from Rain)
- Day pack (Small one)
- Back Pack 60 Ltrs (+ Rain cover)
- 2 Water Bottles
- Toilet Paper & Wet Wipes
- Hand Sanitizer
- Antibactial Powder
- Tooth Brush
- Quick Dry Towel
- Crocin (1Strip)
- Disprine (1 Strip)
- Lomotive (1 Strip)
- Digene (1Strip)
- Band Aid - Qty 5
- Neusphorine Powder
- Betadine Tube
- Vomistop/Avomine (Motion Sickness Tablet)
If you cancel the trek due to any reason, it is mandatory to notify us. Cancellation charges will only be effective from the date we get your request to cancel the trek.
- 90% refund if notified via phone conversation 30 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 21 to 29 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 20 days prior to event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
The FAQ on Kedarkantha Trek:
1. How difficult is the Kedarkantha Trek? Best Himalayan Treks in Uttarakhand?
Kedarkantha Trek in comparison is easy to moderate difficulty with another high altitude trek.
2. How much distance do we have to trek each day?
On average, we cover roughly four to eight km between our camping stations.
3. What will happen if a Winter trek is extended?
Beyond our controllable reasons when the trek is extended, then additional charges tend to be applied.
4. Who will be our lead guide person?
The lead guide person is certified & experienced personnel. These guides are locally sourced and have other team members including local guides, cook, helpers, and porters. He would have to Trek the Himalayas many times before and has experience of summiting Kedarkantha Peak.
5. Is this trek safe for girls on Winter Himalayan Treks?
Our treks are planned with a male: female ratio. As an organizer, we make sure that their tents are shared only with other female trekkers.
6. Many people in a tent?
Our tents are all three-person tents. Jungle camp in the snow amazing experience for hikers.
7. What is the level of fitness expected from the trekkers?
Good physical and mental fitness is expected to complete the Trek. Kedarkantha Trek is ideal for beginners to familiarize themselves with similar high altitude treks.
8. Typical Food menu during a trek?
We make sure that wholesome and nutritious breakfast, lunch and evening snacks are served. We believe and serve only vegetarian food as it is easy to digest and preferable in high altitudes.
9. What if we encounter a medical emergency?
We are trained to manage emergencies in high altitudes. Our lead guide is professional and experienced. Our team do carry emergency first aid kits and oxygen cylinder.
10. What is the Kedarkantha Temperature?
Kedarkantha Trek temperature varies from 14 degrees to -3 degrees during winter. Trekking In December during snow season weather can reach -3 degrees.
11. Kedarkantha weather throughout the year? Kedarkantha Trek Best Time? Himalaya winter?
During summer the weather is pleasant from April May June. During monsoon, it is difficult Trekking In Uttarakhand. Autumn month October, November the look of Kedarkantha changes it is the best time for new trekkers. Winter is the best time for snow treks at Kedarkantha in the Himalayas from December, January, February to March.
12. Kedarkantha Location in India?
Kedarkantha Winter Trekking a popular trek the Himalayas, in the state of Uttarakhand, India. Kedarkantha peak is located at 12,500 feet above sea level. Kedarkantha is situated inside the Govind Wildlife Sanctuary in Uttarkashi district. Kedarkantha India hike will start from Sankri Village. Sankri a beautiful village is the start point of many treks in Uttarakhand. Sankri to Kedarkantha Summit trek is every hikers dream in India.
13. Best winter treks in India?
- Brahmatal trek
- Chadar Trek
- Goecha La Trek
- Kedarkantha Trek
- Kuari Pass Trek
- Har ki Dun
- Nag Tibba Winter Trek
- Panwali Kantha Trek
- Dayara Bugyal Trek
- Pangarchulla Peak Trek
- Markha Valley Winter Trek
- Spiti Winter Homestay Trek
- Khopra Ridge Trek
- Sham Valley Trek
- Snow Leopard Trek Kibber Spiti Valley
Uttarakhand Temperature during winter trekking season?
Weather will be cold with high to moderate snowfall. During the trek, it will be pleasant and cold at night during your tent stay. We provide you with good sleeping bags and sleeping material to make you comfortable during your Uttarakhand camp stay.