Karnala Bird Sanctuary Trail
Karnala Bird Sanctuary is located in Raigad District about 10 km from Panvel city, 65km from Mumbai city, situated along the Mumbai-Goa highway.
Even so, the Karnala Bird Sanctuary is home to over 150 species of resident and 37 species of migratory birds. Three rare birds — Ashy Minivet, Three-toed kingfisher and Malabar Trogon — have also been sighted at the park. The sanctuary itself comprises moist deciduous forest and the forest department has made efforts to educate the visitors by tagging several trees inside the forest. While it is a bird sanctuary, other forms wildlife also exist. Wild boars, langurs and rhesus monkeys are common here. There are four nature trails in the sanctuary. The two distinct seasons for bird-watching are the monsoons (good for spotting the Malabar whistling thrush, the magpie robin and the paradise flycatcher) and winters (when you can spot the migratory birds) when the blue throat, the black headed cuckoo-shrike, the blue-headed rock-thrush, blackbird and the red breasted flycatcher flock to the sanctuary during winter.
Karnala Bird Watching Trail Details
- Event Type: Bird walk
- No of days: one day
- Walk Grade: Easy walk around the forest
- Range: Panvel
Karnala Bird Watching Cost
- Participant with Transport (Ex Mumbai): Rs. 1950/- per person
- Participant without Transport (Ex Karnala): Rs. 1200/- per person
Karnala Bird Sanctuary Trail Itinerary
05:10 am - Meet up at Pritam da dhaba, Dadar (east).
05:15 am - Move towards Karnala Bird Sanctuary.
07:00 am - Reach at Karnala bird sanctuary and explore the beautiful forest of Hariyal trail for about 2.5Hrs.
09:00 am - Have a breakfast.
09:30 am - After breakfast, will resume in search of Hornbill, Kingfisher and Woodpecker in the upper trails until lunch. Apart from Birds we shall also focus on other forms of life of the monsoons. Malabar whistling thrush and Asian Paradise flycatcher will be our prime “focus”.
12:30 pm - Back to base for Lunch.
01:00 pm - Have Lunch.
02:00 pm - Start return jounrey.
04:00 pm - Approx. arrival at Mumbai.
Kindly note above itinerary is tentative. The trip might end late also depending on the traffic, weather conditions, group speed, and many other unforeseeable factors.
- Wildlife safaris are a matter of luck and opportunity. No guarantee of any sighting is made. Neither of our associates will quote that, although we try our best to spot and show you as much as nature allows us to.
- Never enter the forest with an intention of spotting a single species, it will only disappoint you. The forest is a gift packet with a lot to surprise with. Listen to our naturalist for more wonderful experience.
- Our safaris are not target species specific (Unless specified)
- We explore everything we find uncommon and need to be explained.
- Any demand for spotting a single species in any jeep will not be entertained by the guide or the tour leader as there are other travellers who would want to see the birds etc.
- Respect & honour everything that is in the forest and it has to offer you.
- Enjoy being in the forest and you will feel much happier away from the concrete chaos.
- Respect the local, tribes, guards, guides, drivers, officers and all animals.
- Front seat of the Gypsy is always reserved for the Guide or Guard.
- No extra room will be made for photographers, respecting other travellers. (For photographers it is recommended to opt for higher options)
- No littering in the forest strictly. (what goes comes back the same way)
- Camera fees & guide tips to be paid separately & directly.
- Kindly follow the instructions given by the tour leader and the guide for your own safety.
What is included in the tour
- Return AC Transport Mumbai to Karnala (with transport option)
- Meals as per itinerary (Breakfast, Lunch) - Local Veg meals
- Entry fees of Bird Sanctuary
- First Aid Kit
- Professional wildlife Naturalist host of the experience
- GST 5%
- Convenience fees
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any other transport from origin of participant to meeting point.
- Additional meals or services
- Any expense of personal nature
- Parking fee of vehicle (Without transport - coming by own vehicle)
- Any other item specifically NOT mentioned in includes.
- A Hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- A dust protection mask
- Personal Bottle (To avoid plastic use – 1LtrsX2)
- Small backpack for trails (10Ltrs) and Proper backpack for your clothes, etc.
- Bird books
- Sun screen
- Raincoat/Wind-cheater/Rain jacket (NO UMBRELLA)
- Only dull coloured clothes (Green, brown, Beige, Camouflage)
- Camera (At owners risk) with proper equipment for photography (As per need)
- Fleece/Jacket (temperatures drop in the forest to below 10 degree Celsius
- Energy bars for trails
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to the event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If Trek gets canceled we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
- If the event is canceled due to any natural calamity, political unrest or other such reasons beyond our control the same cancellation policy will apply.