Kamalgad Fort is a square hill fort in the Sahyadri range of Maharashtra. Kamalgad is also known as Bhelanja or Kattalgad, where Kattalgad means death fort. The base village of this fort is Tupenwadi. Kamalgad fort located in Wai taluka of Pune District, Maharashtra. The Fort is about 4511 feet elevated above sea level, and it is an easy grade level trek. Trekkers from Panchgani, Satara, Mumbai and many other places visit this Fort.
About the Kamalgad Fort Trek
The trail begins with a hill rock from the base village. The path is safe and covered with trees which take around two hours to reach Machi. This trail opens up to an open land known as Kamal machi. Machi is all covered by dense trees. On the way, a villager's hut found where trekkers can rest or have their meals at reasonable rates. The Balekilla, which takes around 20 mins from machi. 30 to 40 feet scrap rising over the forest is the description of Balekilla. It is preferable to visit the Fort from October onwards. Monsoon season welcomes you with lush green lands around the trail, which is also a peak time to visit the Fort.
The Fort developed encompassing a level area four acres in size. Kamalgad Fort encircled by sheer rocks; it can be reached by perilously climbing this hill. The earlier path through the human-made tunnel. The way was starting from the base of the cliff and emerging on the top. A big boulder has blocked the tunnel now, and the rock has not moved. There are no ruins available at Kamalgad, no gateway, walls, buildings. Natural fortification of the rock must have been enough against the enemy.
Kamalad Fort Trek Event Details
- Kamalgad Fort Type: Hill Fort
- Kamalgad Height: 4200 feet
- Grade: Medium
- Endurance: Medium
- Base Village: Tupe Wadi / Vasola
- Cost - Rs. 1299/- per person
Kamalgad Fort Trek from Pune
04:45 am - Meet at McDonald’s, J.M. Road.
05:00 am - Departure for Kamalgad Fort.
05:15 am - Pick up at P. L. Deshpande Garden.
05:35 am - Pick up at Navale bridge.
08:30 am - Reach at base village and Breakfast.
09:00 am - Start ascending.
12:30 am - Reach on top and explore the fort.
01:30 pm - Lunch. (Packed lunch)
02:30 pm - Start descending.
- Please carry sufficient water for the trek
- Please carry packed lunch for the trek
What is included in the tour
- Pune to Pune travel by private non-AC vehicle
- 1 veg breakfast
- Trek Leader expertise charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Lunch for the trek
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered.
- Any kind of personal expenses.
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required.
- 2/3 liters of water
- Lunch for the trek
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek
- Good Torch must with extra battery
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 liters
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine
- Identity Proof
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles
Covid Safety Guidelines
- Before planning for any adventure activity, please improve your minimum physical fitness. Most of us have been at home for a lockdown period.
- Please convey your real medical conditions to Treks and Trails India while enrolling for the event.
- Kindly wear three-layered masks, N95. Carry an extra disposable mask with you. Please ensure all participants, leaders, staff, and general persons wear masks before interacting with them.
- Carry with your hand wash, sanitizer bottle, and clean your hands before touching food and objects.
- Cover-up wear full sleeves shirts and full pants, hiking shoes, caps, and face bandana over your mask. Covering up will help reduce exposure to the Covid19 virus.
- Bring your food and water with necessary cutlery like utility mug, fork, and spoon. Your mug can be used for cooking, eating, and drinking water. Carry your reusable water bottles; please don’t share with others.
- Cooperate for temperature checks, questions reading any symptoms, and oxygen level checks; these are done to help you limit the spread of the virus. All these checks will be conducted multiple times during the activities.
- Kindly do not register for the event or travel if you have come in contact with someone who has Covid19 in the last 14 days.
- If you have any symptoms like fever, dry cough, weakness, body aches, etc., at the time of screening. You won't be able to participate in the event. You will have to be evacuated on the medical condition and should report to the nearest healthcare center.
- Maintain a distance of six feet or more while sleeping at night. Incase distance is not possible, try sleeping in a criss-cross manner to avoid face proximity.
- Please bring your garbage back to the city and dispose of it in your bin.
- Consuming any alcohol, cigarettes, pan masala, tobacco, drugs should be avoided; they induce a lot of spitting, urinating, and passive smoke, which can be harmful for the general population.
- Avoid touching new surfaces and touching your mask and face continuously.
- If your adventure destination is overcrowded, be prepared to change your location or wait for the crowd to reduce.
- If any participant, trek leader test positive after returning from the event within 14 days of the Activity. They should maintain transparency and inform Treks and Trails India. It will help all others isolate themselves and get tested. Participants and Treks and Trails will cooperate to help manage the situation.
- Carry your own personal gear.
- Keep the conversation with unknown people to a minimum and maintain a distance of more than 6 feet while talking.
- Avoid speaking with the general population and maintain distance to keep yourself safe in these difficult times.
- Participant need to install the Arogya Setu app
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to the event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If Trek gets canceled we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
- If the event is canceled due to any natural calamity, political unrest or other such reasons beyond our control the same cancellation policy will apply.
Treks and Trails Event Rules
- Kindly carry one Identity proof, at least for the trek with your address.
- We all are going for an adventurous and exciting trekking expedition; please Do Not misinterpret it as a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR.
- The leader's decision will be final, and all the members should abide by it.
- We do not destroy or dirty the archaeological, historical monuments, natural habitat on the trek.
- Swimming is not allowed in the lake or water tank on the forts. Locals use that water for drinking.
- Putting your feet in water tanks or on the canon is not allowed on our treks.
- Any addiction is strictly prohibited, e.g. drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco anyone caught doing it will have to exit the trek without a refund and travel back on own expense.
- People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
- Please do not carry or wear any valuables, ornaments, jewellery, etc. If carried, then we Do Not take any liability for the same.
- Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking, or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events, you are at your own risk. Organizers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner.
- We should strictly follow the code of conduct to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or outside.
- Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking.
- Bluetooth speaker not allowed inside the homestay or camping tents.
- Drinking/smoking,/eating is not allowed inside the tents.
- If you damage the tent, break the tent poles, you will have to pay us for the whole new tent on MRP.
- If you are late for the bus pickup and are not reachable on the phone during your bus pickup, the trek leader will leave without you, and we will provide no refund.
- Please check things to carry and wear trekking shoes on our treks.
How to reach to Kamalgad Fort
The Fort is easily approachable from Bhor or Wai in Pune. Tupenwadi the base village of the fort, which is close to Wai, about a distance of 30 km and 46 km from Bhor. Kamalgad Fort trek one way is around 6 km. Two hours of trekking one way.
Kamalgad Fort History
The fort architect is not documented or unknown. During the Maratha rule, Pandavgad, Kamalgad, and different fortresses in this region controlled by a Mokasaddar, meaning the administrator from Bijapur.
Ancient records drafted in the Modi script of the Marathi language introduce the fortress as Kattalgad. These records or documents are being studied by experts currently. Kamalgad surrendered to the British in April 1818 following opposition to the British company headed by Major Thatcher. British utilized the Fort to execute inmates of the war.
Places to see Kamalgad Fort
The single construction on the summit is a hole. Which is the remains of a well sunk directly into the rock, within the earth beneath, which yet has water? The hole is twenty feet deep. Criminals were given death sentences here after being placed on the sides of the Well wall on recesses. Criminals had two choices to starve or drown as part of their death sentence. Records indicate the hole created when quarrying local red stone known as geru available in this region.