Kamalgad Fort is a square hill fort in the Sahyadri range of Maharashtra. Kamalgad is also known as Bhelanja or Kattalgad, where Kattalgad means death fort. The base village of this fort is Tupenwadi. Kamalgad fort located in Wai taluka of Pune District, Maharashtra. The Fort is about 4511 feet elevated above sea level, and it is an easy grade level trek. Trekkers from Panchgani, Satara, Mumbai and many other places visit this Fort.
About the Kamalgad Fort Trek
The trail begins with a hill rock from the base village. The path is safe and covered with trees which take around two hours to reach Machi. This trail opens up to an open land known as Kamal machi. Machi is all covered by dense trees. On the way, a villager's hut found where trekkers can rest or have their meals at reasonable rates. The Balekilla, which takes around 20 mins from machi. 30 to 40 feet scrap rising over the forest is the description of Balekilla. It is preferable to visit the Fort from October onwards. Monsoon season welcomes you with lush green lands around the trail, which is also a peak time to visit the Fort.
The Fort developed encompassing a level area four acres in size. Kamalgad Fort encircled by sheer rocks; it can be reached by perilously climbing this hill. The earlier path through the human-made tunnel. The way was starting from the base of the cliff and emerging on the top. A big boulder has blocked the tunnel now, and the rock has not moved. There are no ruins available at Kamalgad, no gateway, walls, buildings. Natural fortification of the rock must have been enough against the enemy.
Kamalgad Fort Trek Event Itinerary from Pune
- 05.00 pm Meet us at Fergusson college
- Departure from Wai in the private non-ac bus till base village
- Reach Base village
- Trek instruction and Team and group introduction
- Start trekking to the Fort
- Reach temple & relax at the homestay
- Helpout with dinner preparation and tent pitching
- After dinner share stories and good night
- Good morning call at 5.30 am
- Enjoy early morning tea and breakfast with the sunrise
- Begin the Kamalgad Fort Trek reach the summit by 7.30 am
- Explore the Fort and return by 10.30 am
- Lunch arrangement
- We will eat early Lunch and start to descend at noon.
- Reach the base village by 2 pm
- The return trip to Pune starts
- Reach Pune by 6 pm.
What is included in the tour
- Pune to Pune travel by private non-AC vehicle
- One veg breakfast and One veg lunch and one veg dinner
- Trek Leader expertise charges
- Night homestay charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Anything not mentioned in cost includes is exclude
How to reach to Kamalgad Fort
The Fort is easily approachable from Bhor or Wai in Pune. Tupenwadi the base village of the fort, which is close to Wai, about a distance of 30 km and 46 km from Bhor. Kamalgad Fort trek one way is around 6 km. Two hours of trekking one way.
Kamalgad Fort History
The fort architect is not documented or unknown. During the Maratha rule, Pandavgad, Kamalgad, and different fortresses in this region controlled by a Mokasaddar, meaning the administrator from Bijapur.
Ancient records drafted in the Modi script of the Marathi language introduce the fortress as Kattalgad. These records or documents are being studied by experts currently. Kamalgad surrendered to the British in April 1818 following opposition to the British company headed by Major Thatcher. British utilized the Fort to execute inmates of the war.
Places to see Kamalgad Fort
The single construction on the summit is a hole. Which is the remains of a well sunk directly into the rock, within the earth beneath, which yet has water? The hole is twenty feet deep. Criminals were given death sentences here after being placed on the sides of the Well wall on recesses. Criminals had two choices to starve or drown as part of their death sentence. Records indicate the hole created when quarrying local red stone known as geru available in this region.