Bhigwan Birding Tour
Bhigwan is a small dusty town on the border of Pune and Solapur district in Central Maharashtra, in India. It is located on the Pune-Solapur Highway around 105 km from Pune on the backwaters of Ujani dam. Bhigwan is famous for bird watching especially flamingo and wildlife photography. It is also known as mini Bharatpur.
At Bhigwan, many kinds of Ducks, Herons, Egrets, Raptors and Waders along with flocks of hundreds of flamingos can be seen. Variety of birds at Bhigwan gives of sighting of almost all the prime bird species there and also creates great photographic opportunities for wildlife photographers. At times, 1,000 - 1,200 flamingos are seen. The low rains and low water level has now reduced the number of flamingos over some years. It is a favorite spot for migratory birds, with more than 230 species found here. One can also see painted storks, bar headed geese, demoiselle cranes, etc. These birds can be seen in the winter season between December and March. The bird generally migrates via marine routes and adult females depart from the breeding grounds.
Bhigwan Bird Photography Tour Details
- Region: Bhigwan
- Duration: 2 days / 1 night
- Type: Bird watching
- Cost: Rs. 7100/- per person
Bird Photography Tour Itinerary
Day 1: Mumbai – Bhigwan
Start from Mumbai at 5am and drive towards Bhigwan. Arrive and check in the homestay and freshen up. Post breakfast head out for Grassland trail on foot/boat. Click the birds of grasslands, freshwater and marshes. Return for lunch. Post lunch head for 3hrs boat safari to photography the waders, Flamingos, ducks, storks, cranes and birds of prey. Dinner will be served. Post dinner a short stroll on the night trail around the lake circumference looking for nocturnal birds and mammals. Return by 11pm and call it off a day.
Meals - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Day 2: Bhigwan – Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary – Mumbai
A lazy and filling breakfast followed by check out from the guest house. Drive to MWS and photograph the grassland, scrubland birds and raptors. Lunch en-route Mumbai on the expressway and drop in Mumbai by 06pm. Tour officially ends.
Meals - Breakfast and Lunch.
- 50% in advance
- 50% before 3 days of departure
Hotel - Agnipankha Homestay
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in hotel
- Mumbai to Mumbai travel by AC vehicle
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary
- 1 boat safari, 1 grassland safari, 1 night safari
- Guide charges
- Professional wildlife naturalist
What is NOT included in the tour
- Additional / personal use of vehicle
- Extended stay due to weather conditions or any situation not in human control
- Any personal expenses, room service and special orders, mineral waters, non-alcoholic beverages, tips, phone calls, laundry etc.
- Any extra excursions or sightseeing apart from the above specified itinerary.
- Cost incidental to any change in the itinerary due to bad weather, ill health, roadblocks and/or any factors beyond control.
- Camera fees.
- Airfares/Rail fare
- Anything Specifically NOT mentioned in includes.
- Insurance, tips, Porters, bottled mineral water, aerated drinks etc.
- A Hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- A dust protection mask
- Personal Bottle (To avoid plastic use – 1LtrsX2)
- Small backpack (10Ltrs)
- Bird books
- Sun screen
- Only dull coloured clothes (Green, brown, Beige, Camouflage)
- Camera (At owners risk) with proper equipment for photography (As per need)
- Fleece/Jacket (temperatures drop in the forest to below 10 degree Celsius)
- Energy bars
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 21 days prior to the event date
- 50% refund if notified via phone conversation 14 days prior to the event date
- 25% refund if notified via phone conversation 7 days prior to the event date
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 7 days.
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- Wildlife safaris/Bird watching is a matter of luck and opportunity. No guarantee of any sighting is made. Neither of our associates will quote that, although we try our best to spot and show you as much as nature allows us to.
- Birdwatching is a hobby and not a race, hence request all birders to maintain discipline at all times.
- Bird watching is an art of silence and key observation.
- Avoid Pointing out directly to a bird that might flush the bird away.
- Do not get too close to a bird for a photograph that you flush it away.
- Birdwatching should be enjoyed by binoculars and the fun is to spot them, identify them and if you still have some time with the bird photograph them.
- Never enter the forest with an intention of spotting a single species, it will only disappoint you. The forest is a gift packet with a lot to surprise with. Listen to our naturalist for more wonderful experience.
- Our walks are not target species specific (Unless specified)
- We explore everything we find uncommon and need to be explained.
- Any demand for spotting a single species in any jeep will not be entertained by the guide or the tour leader as there are other travellers who would want to see the birds etc.
- Respect & honour everything that is in the forest and it has to offer you.
- Enjoy being in the forest and you will feel much happier away from the concrete chaos.
- Respect the local, tribes, guards, guides, drivers, officers and all animals.
- Front seat of the Gypsy is always reserved for the Guide or Guard.
- No extra room will be made for photographers, respecting other travellers. (For photographers it is recommended to opt for higher options)
- No littering in the forest strictly. (what goes comes back the same way)
- Camera fees & guide tips to be paid separately & directly.
- Kindly follow the instructions given by the tour leader and the guide for your own safety.