Avchitgad Fort Trek leisurely one day trek near Roha city in the Raigad district. Avchitgad Fort established in the Western Sahyadri Ranges Maharashtra. Avchitgad Killa base village Medha and Padam Kharapti are 110 km away from Mumbai, and Pune located 145 km away from Avchitgad.
Avchitgad Fort Information
- Achitgad Fort is a hill type fort.
- Avchitgad Killa Located at 992 feet above sea level.
- Avchitgad fort trek will be relaxed and ideal for beginners.
- Avchitgad Fort Trek duration is one hour from the village of Medha and Pingalsai.
- Avchitgad trek distance one way is around two km from Medha village, the most popular trekking route for this Killa.
- Avchitgad Trek will take one hour to complete till the fort at a leisurely pace.
- Medha village is at -71 meter altitude; to reach Avchitgad fort, you will climb to 202 meters.
- The nearest town is Roha village well developed nearby Kolad. You can stay overnight at Kolad, Roha, and explore the adjacent region.
- Other popular trekking routes to reach Avchitgad start from Pingalsai village takes one hour relatively easy route. Padam Kharapti village it will take two hours local guide required as the forest on this route is very dense.
Avchitgad Fort History
It is understood the Avchitgad fort established by Shilahar Kings and later came under the rule of Nizam of Ahmednagar. It is also held Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj reconstructed and fortified the fortress under his control.
Avchit in Marathi means hurry as the work for reconstruction carried out in a hurry the fort got its name as Avchitgad. Gad in Marathi means fort. During the third Anglo-Maratha War, Colonel Prother from the British East India Company conquered Avchitgad from the Peshwas in February 1818 and the neighbouring region.
Frequently asked questions - Avchitgad Fort
How to reach Avchitgad fort by Train?
You can board Train for Roha or Nidi railway station. You will find local transport easily to reach the base village. Avchitgad Trek starts from a big well in the Medha village called Haud. You can fill your water bottles here.
Routes will meet at a saddle-shaped hill. You can see the following forts from the top on a clear day Sudhagad, Ghangad, Sarasgad, Talagad, Telbaila, Raigad, and Savashnagad.
Places to visit Avchitgad Fort Trek
- Avchitgad fort has a sizeable dodecagonal-shaped reservoir, which was used primarily for washing and bathing purposes.
- Nearby the dodecagonal-shaped reservoir, there are six more modest tanks that have portable water. It is best to carry your water and food for this trek.
- Pingalsai goddess located atop
- Avchitgad main gate is in excellent condition
- You can scout the four cannons on the top of the fort.
- Avchitgad two bastions are in decent condition near the northern and southern end.
- Southern bastion has an inscription that says, " Shri Ganeshayanama Shri Jayadev shake 1718 Nal Nam Samvatsarae Chaitra Shudha Pratipada".
- The forest around the Avchitgad Fort Trek is very dense and filled with wild animals like leopards, monkeys, hyenas, foxes, Indian boar, and many more.