Overnight trek to Gorakhgad on 8th-9th March 2014
Height: 2140 ft
Time: Maximum 2.5 hrs from Dehari base village
Location: Malshej region
Gorakhgad is a fort that can be done easily in a day from Mumbai. Though not famous for any historical events, Gorakhgad attracts trekkers due to its inviting pinnacles, which offer good opportunities for rock-climbing. This region of Gorakhgad and Machchindragad has a dense forest cover. Gorakhgad is quite small in size. It was had strategic importance during the reign of Shahaji Raje. However, no major battle is recorded to have taken place here. It was used in Shivaji’s era to patrol the nearby region and was used as a stopover station during the journey to Junnar via Naneghat. Though small in size, there is enough availability water and a lot of space for accommodation. The fort gets its name from Saint Gorakhnath, who performed his “Sadhana” in this place.
Gorakhgad which is located close to Murbad is a trek that offers a challenge to both the mind and body. Its offers the regular walk in the woods followed by beautiful rock cut steps that lead to the cave on the fort. Another vertical flight of stairs cut through the rock wall lead up to the top of the fort which houses a small temple. TreksandTrails recommends this trek is an adrenaline rush for all who look for something different to do over this weekend.
17:00 Report at Kalyan ST stand near inquiry counter
17:15 Move to Dehri by Bus & Jeep.
19:30 Reach Dehri Village.
20:00 Dinner at Dehri village.
21:00 Start trek toward Gorakhgad.
23:00 Reach in Cave Of Gorakhgad, Night stay in cave
06:30 Breakfast on fort. Explore the fort .
09:00 Start descending Gorakhgad .
12:00 Reach Dehri Village, lunch at Village.
13:00 Start travel Dehri to Kalyan by Jeep & Bus. Disperse at Kalyan
Cost of the trek is Rs 800.00
Includes travel from Kalyan to Daheri and back, 1 veg dinner, 1 veg breakfast, 1 veg lunch
Important: Carry Good Torch with extra batteries. Please take return train ticket up to Kalyan. We would be reaching Dadar by approx 19:00 hrs (Subjective)
Things to carry
1. Haversack and sweater to keep hands free, water bottle 3lts.
2. Ready to eat food, like plum cakes, chocolate bar, some snacks & biscuits etc.
3. Camera (Optional), please avoid wearing Gold and other jewelry (at own risk)
4. Electoral or Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D powder.
5. Personal medicines. Sweaters if required. Please do not carry handbags or jolas for this trek.
6. Good trekking shoes, Extra Pair of Clothes, Plastic bag to keep clothes dry.
7. Bed sheets; please carry your personal tea mugs, spoon and a small Swiss-knife.
1. Smoking and drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited.
2. Group leader decision will be final and binding.
3. TreksandTrails reserves all the right to change/deviate/cancel the plans without prior notice
4. Telephonic confirmation is mandatory, if unable to contact...send a text message.
5. Please be prepared for cold night.
Whatsapp Updates / Email Updates
Step 1 : Save number in your phone book -Treks and Trails Mumbai - 8828004949
Step 2 : Ping us your name and email
Congratulations you will receive regular event updates now
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/TreksandTrailsMumbai
Twitter - https://twitter.com/treksNtrailsInd
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/treksandtrails/
Snap Chat - ttreksandtrail9