About Spiti Valley
Spiti valley, also known as the “Middle Land” is a Trans-Himalayan terrain bordering with Tibet at an average altitude of 4000 meters. Spiti valley is home to some of the oldest monasteries in the Himalayan region like Tabo monastery, Dhankar monastery, Sherkhang monastery and Kye monastery, strong hold of Buchen Lamas in Pin Valley, famous for Tibetan medicine system and Amchis, fossils of Langza village, highest motorable villages and passes, scenic lakes, a 1000-year-old culture, tough life, beautiful villages and people and out of this world landscape. Come and explore with us as we travel to a civilization frozen in time. Spiti Fixed Departures have been planned in a way that you explore Spiti like a local and at a pace that helps you acclimatize and enjoy at the same time.
Cost for Spiti Valley Winter Trip
Option 1 - Shimla to Shimla
- Quad/Triple sharing - Rs. 17499/- per person
- Double sharing - Rs. 18499/- per person
Option 2 - Delhi to Delhi
- Quad/Triple sharing - Rs. 19499/- per person
- Double sharing - Rs. 20499/- per person
- Access to high altitude regions of Spiti Valley, especially Hikkim, Komik, Langza villages and Pin Valley etc. may be blocked during winter months due to excessive snow-fall. Hence, the visit to these locations is weather dependent. In such case, we will look for best possible alternatives, as feasuible.
- Travellers residing outside Delhi are suggested to book trains/flights reaching Delhi not later than 4 PM on the trip start date. Similarly, on trip end date, book returning flight/trains leaving post 2 PM.
- Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, the physical ability of participants etc. may cause itinerary change. We reserve the rights to change any schedule in the interest of safety, comfort and general wellbeing.
Highlights of the tour
- Visit to Oldest Monastery in spiti
- Only sitting mummy in world
- Experience the Milky way and watch shooting stars.
- Asia's Highest Bridge in Chicham
- Komic Village- Highest Village connected to Motorable road
- Hikkim Village- highest Post Office in the world
- Last Village of India on Indo-Tibet Border - Chitkul
- Travel through the toughest roads in the India
- Experience the local life and subzero temperatures
Spiti Valley Winter Trip Itinerary
Day 1 - Delhi to Shimla
Get ready to be departed from Delhi. Reach 45 minutes prior to bus departure time. Reach Shimla next morning by an overnight in Volvo.
Note: Carry your essential in day pack, to avoid hassle for next day freshen up.
Day 2 - Shimla to Sarahan / Rampur
- In the morning reach Shimla and start your onward journey to Narkanda.
- Take a short break at Narkanda and after freshening up and breakfast, drive towards Sarahan.
- On the way, drive through the riverside via Rampur Bushar.
- Sarahan is one of the 51 shakti peeth famous for Bhimakali temple Upon reaching check into the hotel and freshen up.
- Get to know your fellow travelers around with our ice breaker session around a warm bonfire and enjoy the dinner. Overnight at Sarahan.
Note: Breakfast on this day is not included. We'll stop at restaurant / dhaba on the route for freshen up.
Day 3 - Sarahan to Sangla / Chitkul
- The Spiti quest Adventure starts from here.
- Have breakfast and start your journey towards the last village of India - Chitkul. Pit stop at karcham dam and continue your journey towards Sangla valley.
- We will be reaching Sangla by evening. Enjoy chilling winds with great views of the mountains have delicious food and sleep while listening to the sound of baspa river.
Note: If there are chances of road closure between Sangla to Chitkul, a safe decision will be taken and stay will be at Kalpa.
Day 4 - Sangla/Kalpa to Tabo
- Wake up early morning to experience one of the best sunrises.
- Chitkul is the last Indian village towards China border. Explore the best of it. Explore the local village of chitkul.
- Enroute visit khab sangam - confluence of Spiti and Sutlej river
- Reach Tabo. Check- in to the homestay
- Dinner and sleep overnight.
Note: Our visit to Chitkul completely depends on road conditions, weather forecasts, and local guidelines. If there are chances of snowfall we won't be visiting Chitkul as there are chances of getting stuck. Sangla and Chitkul are completely tentative in this tour.
Day 5 - Tabo to Kaza
- Divine Spiti Valley sightseeing awaits you after having breakfast.
- Visit Dhankar Monastery which was a Capital of spiti in the past.
- Langza is a high-altitude village known for ancient marine fossils & the popular Langza Buddha statue.
- Visit Komic Gompa at the World's Highest motorable village and have a delicious lunch.
- At 4,400 m above sea level in, the Hikkim post office is a vital connection to the outside world. Send postcards to friends and family.
- Reach Kaza, check into your homestay, overnight stay at Kaza.
Day 6 - Kaza sightseeing
- Wake up early in the morning and enjoy amazing views from our homestay.
- After breakfast, get ready for a full-day excursion of Spiti Valley.
- Visit the Key Monastery nestled situated on a hill top which makes it one of the most picturesque monasteries of Spiti, Also one of the biggest training centers for Buddhist monks.
- You will then go farther up the valley to the picturesque village of Kibber which is famous for sightings of snow leopard/ Himalayan ibex.
- Chicham Bridge, the highest bridge in Asia.
- In the evening back to Kaza, Dinner and overnight stay at Kaza.
Day 7 - Kaza to Kalpa
- After Breakfast drive to Kalpa. On the way enjoy the great outer Views of Spiti.
- We will again cross the Nako village (From the Outer side) and drive.
- En route the best viewing of Satluj & Spiti Rivers at Khab.
- Enjoy the Road journey.
- Visit the famous suicide point in Kalpa
- Arrival at Kalpa, Check-In to the hotel, and Overnight stay.
Day 8 - Kalpa to Shimla
- After breakfast, Check-Out from the hotel and move for your return journey to Shimla
- On the way to enjoy the beautiful views of outer Narkanda and Kufri.
- Arrival at Shimla.
- Overnight Journey To Delhi By Volvo Bus from Shimla ISBT/bypass.
Day 9 - Arrival at Delhi
The group will reach Delhi by early in the morning. You will remember this unexplored Winters White Spit( Trip till the lifetime with an amazing group and its beautiful memories- The Unexplored Hidden Gem of India. Tour Ends.
- Booking Amount Rs. 4000/- per person (non-refundable)
- Advance 30 days prior to date of departure
- Advance 15 days prior to date of departure
- 100% Advance 7 days prior to date of departure
What is included in the tour
- Volvo transfer from Delhi to Shimla & back to Delhi.
- Entire sightseeing by tempo traveler.
- Accommodation for 6 nights on triple/quad sharing basis (1 N Chitkul, 1 N Kalpa, 1 N Tabo, 2 N Kaza, 1 N Nako)
- 12 Meals - (B & D) in Chitkul, (B & D) in Kalpa, (B & D) in Tabo, (2B & 2D) in Kaza, (B & D) in Nako
- All inner line permits for the trip.
- Driver Night Charges, Toll Tax, Parking Charges, etc.
- Team Captain throughout the trip.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Bus/flight/train tickets till Delhi and back
- Snacks and beverages (except the ones with meals)
- Lunch on all days
- Any kind of insurance
- Early check in to the hotels.
- Meals while Volvo journey and transfers.
- Additional food and stay cost due to any travel delay.
- Any personal expenses like a tip to the drivers, entry to monuments/monasteries, camera/video camera charges, laundry, telephone bills, tips, etc.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather, flood, etc.
- Cost of any medical emergency or other emergency if required
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above
- Authentic Government ID Card
- Comfortable warm clothing like woolen socks, cap, fleece jackets or warmers, down jacket, toiletries.
- Sunscreen & lip balm, Good U/V protection sunglasses
- Personal Medicines (if any) & few medicines for altitude sickness (a must)
- A rucksack bag and a day pack
- 3-litre water bladder or water bottle
- Above-the-ankle waterproof and breathable hiking boots with good grip
- Flip flops/sandals
- Toothpaste, toothbrush
- Paper soap, or sanitizer
- Sunscreen minimum of spf40 , lip balm, cold creams
- Body spray
- LED torch light
- Mobile charger and powerbank
- Camera and charger (optional)
- Personal medicines and first aid kit
- A sun cap and a woolen cap
- UV protected sunglasses
- One cotton long sleeves and 2 short sleeve t-shirt
- 1 fleece jacket
- 1 heavy Thick jacket/down jacket
- 1 pair of gloves
- At least 2 long pants (trek pants and cargo pants are favourable)
- 4 sets of undergarments
- 2 pair of socks
- A small towel
- A rain jacket or a poncho
In case you need to cancel your plans for the trip due to avoidable/unavoidable reasons, please do notify us via email.
The cancellation charges will be as follows:
- Booking amount is non-refundable (Rs. 4000/-)
- 29 to 15 days prior to date of departure: 40% of the tour cost
- 14 to 7 days prior to date of departure: 70% of the tour cost
- Less than 7 days prior to date of departure: 100% of the tour cost (means no refund)
- No show No Refund
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation
- In the case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain activities may be cancelled and in such cases, the operator will try his best to provide an alternate feasible activity. However, no refund will be provided for the same.
Important points to know before you book this tour
- This is backpacking adventure tour
- You will be staying with locals of the region in their homestays
- Food served will be local menu and what people generally eat in the region
- One cannot expect hotel like services in homestays.
- Conditions in winters are extremely harsh, Dry toilets will be used
- Water in the pipelines freezes so no running water will be available
- Locals have limited supply of wood so Bukhari will work for limited time
- Air is thin and dry winds flow during winters, you have to take care of your own health
- Vehicle ac will not work in the mountains
- Tour may get cancelled if we don't receive enough bookings and Treks and Trails India will not be responsible for any charges borne by customers like flight cancellation charge or train cancellation charge
- We will provide you a free date change option or full refund.
- Any extra charges due to change in itinerary due to any reason will borne by travellers (except - if company changes the itinerary)
- This trip takes you through high altitude regions of Himalayas and certain level of fitness is required to complete this trip