They say that as an Indian, if you never saw the Rann of Kutch, then you probably didn’t see anything. The Rann of Kutch is also the Great Rann of Kutch, and there is a Little Rann of Kutch as well. This remarkable place in Gujarat is a massive salt desert which measures around ten thousand square kilometers. An amazing about this place is that it goes underwater when the monsoon season sets in at full force. The rest of the year, the Rann of Kutch remains an enormous desert of salt. The Rann Utsav is an awesome festival that takes place every year. It is a carnival full of music and dance. It appears even more mesmerizing than usual if you witness it under the full moon. The Rann Utsav is so charming that it makes you believe that heaven descended on Earth. This year, the Rann Utsav will start on the 28th of October and continue till the 23rd of February.
Highlights about Rann of Kutch
- Marvel at the delights of the Rann of Kutch under the full moon.
- Stay in one of the traditional huts or Bhungas in the Rann.
- Witness the Rann Utsav, one of the most profound celebrations in all of India.
- Visit the villages in the Rann and understand how people spend their lives here.
- Get a panoramic view of the Rann of Kutch during sunset from the Dattatray temple.
- Check out the Vijay Vilas Palace, a summer retreat for the royal family. It also happens to be a preferred location for the shooting of Bollywood films.
- Enjoy traditional dinners, folk music performances, and hang around the city of Bhuj.
Basic details about Rann of Kutch
Location: 1.5 km north of Bhuj
Difficulty level: Easy
Age group: 12-50 years
Duration: 3 nights/4 days
How to reach Rann of Kutch
As you already know, the Rann of Kutch is a barren desert. Naturally, it is only accessible via road. The city of Kutch doesn’t have a dedicated airport or railway station.
Reach Rann of Kutch by road
First of all, you have to reach Bhuj in Gujarat. From there, you can hire a cab or a private vehicle to get to Kutch.
Reach Rann of Kutch by air
The closest airport to the Rann of Kutch is at the city of Bhuj. Once you land, you have to avail a private car or a taxi. The distance between the Rann of Kutch and Bhuj is about eighty kilometers.
Reach Rann of Kutch by train
The only railway station which is close to the Rann of Kutch is at Bhuj. An overnight journey in the Kutch Express should drop you at Bhuj.
Detailed Rann of Kutch Itinerary
Day 0 – Reach Kutch via train, the KUTCH EXP. / BDTS-BHUJ
Upon arrival at about 10:30 in the morning, you will delve straight into the Rann of Kutch. You should feel fortunate because it will be a full moon day. Once you get there, you will go to the village resort in the Rann. It is at a small Hodka village near the desert of Kutch. You will stay inside one of the traditional huts called Bhungas. The trip begins with an exploration of the Rann Utsav, in one of the small villages in the desert.
You will dedicate your first day to the Rann Utsav. You will spend the evening under the mesmerizing beauty of the full moon. The white salt desert of the Rann exudes a silvery glow under the moonlight.
On the second day, you will be visiting the Pachcham and Banni areas at the edge of the Great Rann of Kutch. You will also check out several villages like the Dhordo, Ludiya, Bhirandiyara, and Khavda. Then you will head towards Kalo Dungar or the Black Hill and the Dattatray Temple. The latter allows you an excellent view of the Great Rann, especially after sunset. As the day end, you will return to the resort, have traditional dinner, and enjoy folk music performances.
Today, you will journey towards Mandvi, a small town on the coast. There, you will visit the famous Vijay Vilas Palace, where the royal family retreats during the summer. Enjoy the day at the beach.
Once you have your breakfast, you will leave for Bhuj. Explore all the exciting locations within the city. The places include the Kutch Museum, the Aaina Mahal, Anjal, Nutan Swaminarayan Mandir, and Bhujodji. Finally, you will go back to your hotel in the evening on an overnight train.
Reach Mumbai via BHUJ DDR EXPRESS with happy memories as the tour concludes.
What is included in the tour
- Dinner during Train Journey to Bhuj
- To and fro from Bhuj to Resort
- Tent Stay at Bhuj for Two days
- Breakfast, Lunch, Evening Tea and Dinner
What is NOT included in the tour
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered
- Any kind of personal expenses (Camera charges, etc.)
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required
- 2/3 liters of water bottle
- Good Torch must with extra battery
- Extra pair of clothes, Towel, Jacket, etc.
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek (preferably Action trekking shoes)
- Proper haversack to put all these things
- Rainwear / Poncho / Waterproof jacket etc.
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine
- Identity Proof
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles