About Lohagad Fort
Lohagad Fort means Iron fort in Marathi, situated close to the hill station of Lonavala Khandala and 52 km northwest of Pune, Lohagad rises to an elevation of 1,033 meters or 3,389 feet above sea level. The Lohagad Killa is connected to the neighboring Visapur Fort which is at its eastern side by a small range. The range divides the basins of the Indrayani River and Pavana River rivers. Lohagad overlooks the Pavna reservoir, located to the south of the mountain. The hill extends to the northwest to a fortified spur, called Vinchu Kata Scorpion's tail because of its resembling shape. The four large gates of Lohagad are still in good condition and reasonably intact. The fort has been declared as a protected monument by the by Archaeology Survey of India. Best trekking route near Mumbai and Pune for beginners.
Things to see at Lohagad Fort
We can reach to the top of fort by stairs. We will come across four doors while reaching the top. The first one is called 'Ganesh Darwaaja', second one is called 'Narayan Darwaaja', the third one is called 'Hanuman Darwaaja' & fourth one is called 'Maha Darwaaja'. Out of this Hanuman Darwaaja is the most ancient of all the doors. Between Narayan & Hanuman Darwaaja there are two godowns which were used for storage purpose as a granary. After entering the Maha Darwaaja we come across an old 'Dargah'. Besides the Dargah there are remnants of the court. Towards right we come across 'Laxmi Kothi' which has many rooms. The treasury of Nana Phadnis was kept here. In front of this place are two cannons. To the western side of the fort is Vinchu Kata. It is 1500 meter long & 30 meter wide part of the mountain, separated from the main part. Viewing from the fort this area looks like scorpion’s sting and hence it is called Vinchu Kata. As named, this portion was to keep a watch on the surrounding region, and any activity of the enemy in its vicinity could be tackled.
- Lohagad Fort Trek Difficulty Level - Easy
- Endurance Level - Medium
- Base village for Lohagad Killa - Lohagad Wadi
- Lohgad Fort Height : 3400 feet approx
- Location : Lonavala - Malavali
- Total time required for climbing Lohagad Fort - 2 hours from Malavali and 40 minutes from Lohagad Wadi.
- Total distance for climbing Lohagad Killa - 5 km
Train timings for Mumbai participants
- 05:40 CSMT
- 05:51 Dadar
- 06:14 Thane
- 06:33 Kalyan
- 07:58 Lonavala
- Move to Malavali by local train
- 08:20 Lonavala
- 08:28 Malavli
Train timings for Pune participants
Lonavala Local Train
- 06:30 Pune
- 06:35 Shivaji Nagar
- 07:35 Malavali
Bhaje Caves and Lohagad Killa Trek
- 08:30 Meet at Malavali station and move towards Lohagad fort.
- 09:00 Breakfast.
- 09:30 Visit Bhaje Caves.
- 12:00 Reach at Lohagad top, exploration and rest. (2 hrs.approx.)
- 14:30 Descend.
- 15:00 Reach at Lohagad Wadi and lunch.
- 16:00 Move to Malavali Station.
- 17:30 Departure for Mumbai / Pune from Malavli station.
People may board the same train from their respective stations of convenience.
Missing the train is missing Monsoon Trek to Lohagad, no refund will be provided.
What is included in the tour
1 veg Breakfast and 1 veg Lunch.
Trek Leader Expertise Charges.
What is NOT included in the tour
Travel cost from Mumbai to Malavli and back.
Travel from Pune to Malavli and back.
Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered.
Any kind of personal expenses.
Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.
Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required.
1. Can we drive till Malavli Village?
Yes you can drive using google maps - search for Bhaje Caves Parking area
2. Distance from Mumbai Malavalli?
Two and half hours drive from Mumbai 100 km approx.
3. Distance from Pune to Malavli?
Two hours drive from Pune - 65 km approx.
4. Number of days required for this event?
5. Is there food available on Lohagad fort?
No. Food is available at base village.
6. How much time required to climb Lohagad fort?
2 hours from Malavali and 40 minutes from Lohagad Wadi.
7. Where can we park our cars?
Base Village at your own risk.
8. Is there any parking charge?
9. Are toilet available on Lohagad fort?
Base village toilets are available
10. Do Single travellers female sign up for these events?
We have 60 - 40 % or more Male - Female ratios on our events.
Many Single Travelling Female join our events.
11. Are Kids allowed on treks?
Kids below 16 with Parents supervision only.
12. What type of food will be provided?
Only Veg local home cooked food is available.
13. Phone Connectivity?
Limited phone connectivity available for most cellular service.
14. Is cash payment or spot payment accepted?
Cash payment is not accepted.
Registration against 100% upfront payment only via Paytm / UPI / NEFT / IMPS / Payment Gateway.
On the spot payment not accepted.
We need to book in advance bus / jeep and make other arrangements upfront payment is must.
15. Will I get bottled water?
Normal well water shall be provided.
16. Can I charge my phone?
No electricity. Please carry a power bank if required.
17. How is the weather now?
Summer Temperature Night 20oC - Day 39°C approx.
Monsoon it rains very heavily please double pack your expensive phones and gadgets
18. Can we smoke or drink alcohol?
NO. People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit event on immediate basis.
19. Can we listen to music on Bluetooth speaker?
Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speaker is not allowed while trekking, Bluetooth speaker not allowed inside homestay.
20. Can we do camping at Lohagad Fort ?
Lohagad Fort gates are closed every evening and visitors are asked to vacate fort premises camping is not possible at Lohagad Fort.
21. How do I make payment?
You can pay online on our website in How to Register tabs.
Incase your question is not listed above you can email us firstname.lastname@example.org
You can whatsapp us 8828004949 also