About Lohagad Fort
Lohagad Fort means Iron Fort in Marathi. Situated close to the hill station of Lonavala Khandala and 52 km northwest of Pune, Lohagad rises to an elevation of 1,033 meters, or 3,389 feet, above sea level. The Lohagad Killa is connected to the neighbouring Visapur Fort, which is on its eastern side by a small range. The range divides the basins of the Indrayani River and the Pavana River. Lohagad Pune overlooks the Pawna lake, located to the south of the mountain. The hill extends to the northwest to a fortified spur, called Vinchu Kata Scorpion's Tail, because of its resembling shape. The four large gates of Lohagad are still in good condition and reasonably intact. The fort has been declared as a protected monument by the Archaeology Survey of India. The best trekking routes near Mumbai and Pune for beginners. On the bucket list of all Mumbai hikers are places near Lonavala to visit.
Things to see at Lohagad Fort
We can reach the top of the fort by stairs. While reaching the top, we will come across four doors. The first one is called "Ganesh Darwaaja', the second one is called "Narayan Darwaaja', the third one is called "Hanuman Darwaaja" and the fourth one is called "Maha Darwaaja". Of these, Hanuman Darwaaja is the most ancient of all the doors. There are two godowns between Narayan and Hanuman Darwaaja that were used as granaries for storage. After entering the Maha Darwaaja, we come across an old 'Dargah'. Besides the Dargah, there are remnants of the court. Towards right, we come across 'Laxmi Kothi', which has many rooms. The treasury of Nana Phadnis was kept here. In front of this place are two cannons. On the western side of the fort is Vinchu Kata. It is a 1500 metre long and 30 metre wide part of the mountain, separated from the main part. Viewing from the fort, this area looks like a scorpion’s sting and hence it is called Vinchu Kata. As named, this portion was to keep a watch on the surrounding region, and any activity of the enemy in its vicinity could be tackled. Lohghad and Visapur are the most famous Lonavala Forts. Pune hikers prefer Lohghad fort near Lonavala for weekend treks.
Trek to Lohagad Event Details
- The Lohagad trek difficulty level is easy.
- Endurance Level is Medium
- Base village for Lohagad is Lohagad Wadi.
- Lohagad Fort Height: 3400 feet.
- Location: Malavali, Lonavala
- Time required for climbing: 2 hours from Malavali and 40 minutes from Lohagad Wadi.
- Lohgad fort trekking. The total distance for climbing is 5 kilometers.
- Duration: One Day
Cost for Lohagad Trek
- Option 1 - By Train (Lonavala to Lonavala): Rs. 999/- per person
- Option 2 - By Bus (Mumbai to Mumbai): Rs. 1399/- per person
Trek to Lohagad Event Itinerary
Option 1 - By Train
Train timings for Mumbai participants
- 05:40 am - CSMT
- 05:51 am - Dadar
- 06:14 am - Thane
- 06:33 am - Kalyan
- 07:58 am - Lonavala
Train timings for Pune participants
Lonavala Local Train
- 06:30 am - Pune
- 06:34 am - Shivaji nagar
- 07:50 am - Lonavala
08:00 am - Meet at Lonavala station and move towards Lohagad fort by jeep.
08:45 am - Reach at base and breakfast.
09:30 am - Start ascending Lohagad Fort.
11:00 am - Reach at Lohagad top and explore.
12:30 pm - Start descending.
02:00 pm - Reach at Lohagad Wadi and lunch.
03:00 pm - Move to Lonavala Station by jeep.
04:00 pm - Departure for Mumbai / Pune from Lonavala station.
Option 2 - By Bus from Mumbai
05:10 am - Meet at SGNP main gate, Borivali.
05:15 am - Leave for Lohagad fort trek.
05:35 am - Pick up at WEH metro station bus stop, Andheri.
05:50 am - Pick up at Kalanagar bus stop (on the highway), Bandra.
06:10 am - Pick up at Sion station circle.
06:25 am - Pick up at Diamond Garden, Chembur.
06:45 am - Pick up at Vashi below the main bridge near Vashi Plaza.
07:15 am - Pick up at McDonald's, Kalamboli.
08:45 am - Reach at Lonavala and move towards base village by local jeep.
09:15 am - Reach at base village and have breakfast.
10:00 am - Start ascending.
11:00 am - Reach the top and explore.
01:00 pm - Start descending.
02:00 pm - Reach base village and have Lunch.
03:00 pm - Start return journey towards Lonavala by local jeep.
03:30 pm - Reach at Lonavala and proceed to Mumbai by private vehicle.
09:00 pm - Approx. arrival at Mumbai.
- People may board same train from their respective stations of convenience.
- Missing the train is missing Monsoon Trek to Lohagad, no refund will be provided.
What is included in the tour
- 1 veg Breakfast and 1 veg Lunch
- Lonavala to Lohagad base and back to Lonavala transport by local jeep (in both options)
- Mumbai to Mumbai travel by private non-Ac vehicle (By Bus option)
- Trek Leader Expertise Charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Travel till Lonavala and back
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required
- Mask and sanitizer
- 2/3 liters of water
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek
- Good Torch must with extra battery
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 liters
- Rains are expected, so pack your bags accordingly to save them from getting wet
- Double pack your valuables / phones in plastic bags
- Rainwear / Poncho / Waterproof jacket etc. if you don’t want to get wet
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine
- Identity Proof
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles
Covid Safety Guidelines
- Before planning for any adventure activity, please improve your minimum physical fitness. Most of us have been at home for a lockdown period.
- Please convey your real medical conditions to Treks and Trails India while enrolling for the event.
- Kindly wear three-layered masks, N95. Carry an extra disposable mask with you. Please ensure all participants, leaders, staff, and general persons wear masks before interacting with them.
- Carry with your hand wash, sanitizer bottle, and clean your hands before touching food and objects.
- Cover-up wear full sleeves shirts and full pants, hiking shoes, caps, and face bandana over your mask. Covering up will help reduce exposure to the Covid19 virus.
- Bring your food and water with necessary cutlery like utility mug, fork, and spoon. Your mug can be used for cooking, eating, and drinking water. Carry your reusable water bottles; please don’t share with others.
- Cooperate for temperature checks, questions reading any symptoms, and oxygen level checks; these are done to help you limit the spread of the virus. All these checks will be conducted multiple times during the activities.
- Kindly do not register for the event or travel if you have come in contact with someone who has Covid19 in the last 14 days.
- If you have any symptoms like fever, dry cough, weakness, body aches, etc., at the time of screening. You won't be able to participate in the event. You will have to be evacuated on the medical condition and should report to the nearest healthcare center.
- Maintain a distance of six feet or more while sleeping at night. Incase distance is not possible, try sleeping in a criss-cross manner to avoid face proximity.
- Please bring your garbage back to the city and dispose of it in your bin.
- Consuming any alcohol, cigarettes, pan masala, tobacco, drugs should be avoided; they induce a lot of spitting, urinating, and passive smoke, which can be harmful for the general population.
- Avoid touching new surfaces and touching your mask and face continuously.
- If your adventure destination is overcrowded, be prepared to change your location or wait for the crowd to reduce.
- If any participant, trek leader test positive after returning from the event within 14 days of the Activity. They should maintain transparency and inform Treks and Trails India. It will help all others isolate themselves and get tested. Participants and Treks and Trails will cooperate to help manage the situation.
- Carry your own personal gear.
- Keep the conversation with unknown people to a minimum and maintain a distance of more than 6 feet while talking.
- Avoid speaking with the general population and maintain distance to keep yourself safe in these difficult times.
- Participant need to install the Arogya Setu app
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If Trek get cancelled, we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
- If the event is canceled due to any natural calamity, political unrest or other such reasons beyond our control the same cancellation policy will apply.
Treks and Trails Event Rules
- Kindly carry one Identity proof, at least for the trek with your address.
- We all are going for an adventurous and exciting trekking expedition; please Do Not misinterpret it as a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR.
- The leader's decision will be final, and all the members should abide by it.
- We do not destroy or dirty the archaeological, historical monuments, natural habitat on the trek.
- Swimming is not allowed in the lake or water tank on the forts. Locals use that water for drinking.
- Putting your feet in water tanks or on the canon is not allowed on our treks.
- Any addiction is strictly prohibited, e.g. drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco anyone caught doing it will have to exit the trek without a refund and travel back on own expense.
- People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
- Please do not carry or wear any valuables, ornaments, jewellery, etc. If carried, then we Do Not take any liability for the same.
- Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking, or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events, you are at your own risk. Organizers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner.
- We should strictly follow the code of conduct to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or outside.
- Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking.
- Bluetooth speaker not allowed inside the homestay or camping tents.
- Drinking/smoking,/eating is not allowed inside the tents.
- If you damage the tent, break the tent poles, you will have to pay us for the whole new tent on MRP.
- If you are late for the bus pickup and are not reachable on the phone during your bus pickup, the trek leader will leave without you, and we will provide no refund.
- Please check things to carry and wear trekking shoes on our treks.
1. Can we drive to Malavli Village?
Yes, you can drive using google maps - search for the Bhaja Caves Parking area. Malavali to Lohagad Fort Trek distance is 6 kilometers. Lohagarh fort Pune is well connected by the road.
2. Distance from Mumbai Malavali or Mumbai to Lohagad Trek Distance?
Lohagad trek from Mumbai distance is 100 km and three hours drive. The Maharashtra fort is one of the most famous trekking places near Lonavala. If you are planning hiking near Mumbai it is the perfect destination.
3. Distance from Pune to Malavli or Pune to Lohagad Trek Distance?
Lohagad from Pune two hours drive 65 km approx. Car parking is available near the Bhaja village.
4. The number of days required for this event?
One day is enough for the trek. On the weekend do expect crowds. Lohagad Fort timings are 9 am to 6 pm. Night stay is not allowed on the fort.
5. Is there food available on the Lohagad fort?
No. Food is available at base village. Cooking is not allowed on the fort. There are many food stalls at the bottom of the fort. Cooking is banned on all Fort in Pune by ASI and Forest department.
6. How much time required to climb Lohagad fort Pune?
Two hours from Malavali and 40 minutes from Lohagad Wadi.
7. Where can we park our cars?
Base Village at your own risk. Parking is available near Bhaja caves. Pune to Lohagad fort distance is 65 km. How to reach Lohagad from Mumbai you can use google maps it is well documented on it.
8. Is there any parking charge at the base village?
Yes, there is a parking charge, and parking is at the owners' risk.
9. Are toilets available on Lohagad fort?
Base village toilets are available. Toilet and the changing room will be available before and after the Lohagad trek. During the Lohagad Trekking, there are no toilets available on the fort.
10. Do Single travellers female sign up for these events?
We have 60 - 40 % or more Male - Female ratios on our events.
Many Single Travelling Female join our events.
11. Are Kids allowed on treks?
Kids below 16 with Parents supervision only.
12. What type of food will be provided?
Only Veg local home-cooked food is available.
13. Phone Connectivity?
Limited phone connectivity is available for most cellular services.
14. Is cash payment or spot payment accepted?
- Cash payment is not accepted.
- Registration against 100% upfront payment only via Paytm / UPI / NEFT / IMPS / Payment Gateway.
- On the spot payment, they are not accepted.
- We need to book in advance bus/jeep and make other arrangements upfront payment is a must.
15. Will I get bottled water?
Normal well water shall be provided.
16. Can I charge my phone Lohgadh fort?
No electricity. Please carry a power bank if required.
17. How is the weather at Lohagad Fort now?
Summer Temperature Night 20°C - Day 39°C approx. Monsoon rains very heavily please double pack your expensive phones and gadgets. Lohagad weather will be pleasant during Monsoon and Winter season.
18. Can we smoke or drink alcohol?
NO. People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis. There are many forest official and vigilante on the patrol to catch people smoking or drinking alcohol. They will make you videos if caught and troll you on social media.
19. Can we listen to music on Bluetooth speakers?
Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking, Bluetooth speakers not allowed inside homestay.
20. Can we do camping at Lohagad Fort?
Lohagad Fort gates are closed every evening at 6 pm, and visitors are asked to vacate fort premises camping is not possible at Lohagad Fort. Where is Lohagad located it is located at Malavali near Lonavala. We can arrange Lohagad Camping near the fort during winter and summer season.
21. How do I make payment?
You can pay online on our website in How to Register tabs.
In case your question is not listed above you can email us email@example.com
You can Whatsapp us 8828004949
22. How to reach Lohagad Trek?
You can drive till the base village Lohagadwadi using google maps. We would recommend parking your car at Bhaja village and hiring jeep to reach till the top as the road is bad condition, huge traffic jams, car breakdown happen. Lohagad fort distance from Pune is 65 kilometer. How to reach lohagad fort from Mumbai you can check google maps for directions it is 100 km. The participant can join by catching Mumbai to Pune trains or Mumbai to Pune bus do check if they stop at Lonavala before boarding one. How to reach lohagad from Pune we have mentioned the train timings in event itinerary you need to board and meet our Lohagad Trek guide at Lonavala train station.
23. How far are the Lohagad Boat Club and Lohagad Resort from the fort?
Lohagad Resort and Boat Club are 12 km away from the fort. Lohagad boat club and resort located at Pawna Lake. Private jeeps are available at various places near Lonavala station to reach the club.
24. Can you tell me more about Lohagad Waterfall and Lohagad Reverse Waterfall?
There are a few beautiful waterfalls near Bhaja Caves were picnickers enjoy. Lonavala Lohagad Fort has a reverse waterfall we will be visiting the same. Strong winds blow over Lohagadh, creating a reverse waterfall a brilliant sight. If time permits we will Malavli waterfalls near the Bhaja Caves.
25. How to reach Lohagad Fort Trek from Mumbai?
We have batches for Lohagad Fort Mumbai Trek we start from Dadar by Bus. These are held on heavy monsoon weekends mostly. Lohagad fort Lonavala receives heavy rainfall every year this region is famous for waterfall and fog in Maharashtra. Lohagarh picnic spot is located below the Fort little ahead of the steps. Lohagad photos are available in the ima
26. Can you give me Lohagad trek information?
Lohagad is an ideal trek for beginners. Bhaja caves and Visapur fort trek can be combined with this fort trek. You can see Tikona Fort and Tung Fort from the summit of the fort. It is one of the most popular trekking spots in Lonavala. Other nearby tourist destinations are Korigad Fort Trek, Bhushi Dam, Rajmachi Fort, Pawna Lake Camping, Paragliding at Pawna lake, Paragliding at Kamshet, Kamshet Dam camping. Lohagad fort in the rainy season is magnificently covered in fog it feels like walking among the cloud. Lohagad fort images are available in the photo gallery to check our past events conducted. Visapur Fort trek route is visible from the Lohagarh fort Maharashtra. Visapur trek route is covered in a waterfall during peak monsoon season the rock-cut steps are destroyed by the British.
27. Lohagad Fort History and Lohagad Fort Information?
Lohagad has a rich past with many dynasties controlling it at various periods in our history Satavahanas, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Yadavas, Bahamanis, Nizams, Mughals, and Marathas. Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj conquered it in 1648 AD, later resigned it to the Mughals in 1665 AD by the Treaty of Purandar. Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj regained the fort in 1670 AD and applied it for holding his treasury. This fortress used to save the spoils from Surat. Later in the Peshwa period, Nana Phadnavis used this fort for living for some period and created numerous constructions in the fort such as a huge tank and a step-well. The Lohagad fort also has Cave on its southern side overlooking Lohgadwadi. Lohagad Visapur Fort Pune are twin forts you can complete trek for both on a less crowded day.
28. Hotels near Lohagad Fort?
Lonavala has a huge collection of hotels and resorts available for all budgets here is our list.
- Fariyas Resort Lonavala 5 star property
- Hotel Chandralok
- Upperdeck Resort
- The Machan
- Basilica Holiday Home
- Cloud 9 Hills Resort
- Club Mahindra Tungi Resort
- Amanzi Resort
- Le Farm Luxury Farmstay
- Pawna Lake Camping
29. How to reach Lohagad fort from Mumbai by train?
We have mentioned the train timings to board from Mumbai. Our trek guide will meet you at Lonavala for the Lohagad Maharashtra Trek. From Lonavala, we will move towards the fort in the private jeep and reach the base village and our hotel for breakfast. Please dont miss the train this is a group event we cannot ask other people, transport to wait extra for you. Missing the train means missing Lohagarh fort Lonavala trek.
30. How to go Lohagad from Pune?
We have mentioned the train timings to board from Pune. Our Trek guide will meet you at Lonavala Railway Station. We will start our journey to the fort in the private jeep and reach the base village and our hotel for breakfast. Please dont miss the train this is a group event we cannot ask other people, transport to wait extra for you. Missing the train is missing the trek. It is one of the nearest Fort from Pune.
31. How to go to Lohagad fort from Lonavala station?
We will be reaching the base village for the trek in a private jeep from Lonavala Station. We will take the similar jeep to reach Lonavala station after the trek. Lohgad Images are available in the image gallery.
|32. How to reach from Malavali to Lohagad?|
You can walk till the fort base village Lohagadwadi around 6.6 kilometers away. It is an uphill walk it will have heavy traffic during the monsoon season. You can also hire shared jeeps from Bhaja village to reach till the Base Village. From the Base village, the fort is 45 minutes climb to reach till the summit or plateau of the fort. At Treks and Trails India, we hire private jeeps from Lonavala station to save time and our participant are able to spend more time on the fort and start their return journey early from Lonavala to Mumbai Pune. Lonavala to Malavali railway station connectivity is poor. Lonavala Railway Station to Malavali Station train is available every one hour on the Lonavala Pune Local train schedule.
33. Places to see near Lohgad Fort Pune?
There are many beautiful Maharashtra Forts around Lohgad Fort you can visit Sinhagad Fort, Rajgad Fort, Torna Fort. You can enjoy the rainy season at Kune Waterfall, Dudhiware Waterfall, Kataldhar Waterfall. Dukes Nose trek is also an easy trekking option in Lonavala. Khandala and Lohagad Trek can be your perfect weekend getaways. Malavali Waterfall located next to Bhaja caves is a must destination after the trek. Visapur Maharashtra famous for the waterfall steps is an amazing trekking destination near Lohgad Fort Lonavala. You can plan your next trek near Lonavala during monsoon using the above-mentioned hiking options.