Hampta Pass Trek with Chandratal Lake
Hampta Pass Trek is among the many other delightful treks around Manali region in Himachal Pradesh. Our trek in Hampta Pass suits everyone with the scope of time and hardship hence is considered as a moderate trek. Its a terrific crossover trek in Himachal Pradesh. The beauty of this trek lies in the small corridor between Lahaul and Kullu valley with the regular change in the landscape. Our trekking start from Manali, unlike other camps, to make it easy for all to reach the base camp. It covers the majestic foothills of the Himalayas starting with thick forest which leads us to the open valley of lush green covers of the Pir Panjal Range. Their lush greens with the tree line stop when you are at the Hampta Pass (14350 ft.) And enter the barren landscape to visit the Chandratal Lake in Lahaul & Spiti.
Highlights of Hampta Pass Trek
Breathtaking picturesque view of the alpine Chandratal.
Camping location under the star studded sky along with delicious and nutritious meals.
Capture the majestic view of the Pir Panjal Ranges.
Build adrenaline as we cross some of the high mountain passes.
Basic Details Hampta Pass Trek
The height of Trek: 14,350 feet
Difficulty level: Moderate to challenging
Age group: 12-40 years
Duration: 6 days/5 nights
Cost: Rs. 9,500 + 5% GST
How to Reach Hampta Pass Trek in Manali
Manali is well connected to all the states across India. One can travel by Road or by Air. Delhi is taken as a reference to Guide our trekkers. So plan accordingly.
Reach Manali by Road:
Manali is connected to Delhi. Take an overnight bus from Delhi, and you will reach Manali in 12 - 14 hours. Tickets can be booked online at www.redbus.in or www.hrtc.gov.in
Reach Manali by Air:
Kullu–Manali Airport in Bhuntar, which is 52 km away from Manali, is the nearest airport. Taxi services are available from Airport to Manali, which costs about Rs. 700- Rs 1000.
Tip: Since Delhi to Manali is a long journey, most Volvo private buses leave Delhi between 5 pm and 6 pm. The last HRTC bus leaves at 8.30pm from ISBT Kashmere Gate. Plan your onward journeys only post noon is giving enough buffer for bus delays.
Detailed Hampta Pass Trek Itinerary:
Day 01: Report at the Base Camp
Reach the Manali base camp on your own. Location will be shared with you. The first day is reserved for meet and greet, and orientation, after you reach the base camp the trek leader will take a small orientation session, covering information like packing, walking techniques. You will also be given general information about the trek and the route. Stay overnight at the base camp.
Day 2: Drive from Manali to Jobra then start trek to Chikka ( 3hrs-4hrs)
On the second day, we leave the base camp by 8 am. We will be carrying lunch and breakfast with us. The first leg of the day’s travel would include a jeep drive from base camp to Jobra. On the way, the scenic route will keep you intrigue with maple, pine, walnut and oak trees, making it refreshing and enjoyable. After reaching Jobra we prepare to trek to Chikka, which is also our final destination for the day. It will take approximately 2 hours to reach this place, and it is also an easy stretch, crossing two wooden bridges and a small patch of forest. We reach the campsite at Chikka and prepare for our stay overnight.
Day 03: Chikka to Balu ka Ghera (5 hrs)
Today we will trek from Chikka to Balu ka Ghera, which will take about 4 -5 hours to complete. Balu ka Ghera is situated at 11900 feet approximately. The initial stretch for the day would take you through rocky banks of the river. Soon snow valleys would come in view making the trekking experience more exciting. You will pass streams and boulders, and finally get to Balu ka Ghera, which is a large, lush ground on the banks of the river. Camping here will be like a dream come true! Your overnight stay will be at the camps at Balu ka Ghera.
Day 04: Balu ka Ghera to Hampta Pass and further to Shia Ghoru (8hrs)
On day 4 of the Hampta Pass Trek with Chandratal, we would aim at leaving the campsite by 7 AM as the trek ahead is long and somewhat tedious. We will go from Balu ka Ghera to Shia Ghoru, which is at 12900 feet. It will take approximately 4-5 hours to reach Hampta Pass top (14000 feet), and from there another couple of hours to descend to Shia Ghoru. The Hampta pass summit will leave you spellbound and you will want to soak in the beauty and serenity of that place. The views from the Top are outstanding. The descend would be a steep descend and post reaching Shia Ghoru, prepare for an overnight stay at the camp.
Day 5: Siaguru to Chatru drive to Chandratal (2-hrs-3hrs)
On this day we will head towards Chatru and this is the place that will offer us the most breathtaking and unforgettable views of the valleys of Lahaul and Spiti. The Spiti and Pir Panjal Ranges will add to the grandeur and magic of the place. Chatru is the centre point for three locations namely Hampta Pass, Rohtang Pass and Spiti Valley. This stretch of the trek would then be followed by a jeep ride to Chandratal, which is believed to be the place from where Yudhishthira, the eldest Pandava, ascended to heavens. If weather conditions are suitable, you will camp at Chatru.
Day 06: Jeep Ride from Chatru to Base Camp (Departure after 4 PM from base camp)
Last day of this adventurous trip would begin early as we will be covering a lot today. We will aim at leaving Chatru by 7 AM after having breakfast. Our first stop would be Manali, which we will reach by lunchtime, after crossing the stunning Rohtang Pass. After having lunch at Manali, we will then leave for Base Camp and depart from there for our respective destinations.
What is included in the tour
- Transport Facility wherever required and which will be inclusive in the package
- Forest Permit and entrance fee
- Accommodation in tents on twin/triple share basis
- All meals: breakfast, packed lunch, tea, coffee, snacks, soup and dinner(Day 1 Lunch to Day 6 Lunch)
- (All camping gears)
- Trekking permits and forest camping charges
- Sleeping bags and Tents and mats.
- Safety equipment (First Aid, Medical Kit)
- Services of an expert trek leader (Qualified in Basic/Advanced Mountaineering Courses)
- Services of an expert trek team (Guides, Cooks, Helpers)
What is NOT included in the tour
- Personal Insurance
- Medical Certificate
- Personal toiletry Items and Personal Medicine kit
- Meals while reaching the Base camp on the first day. Lunch and brekfast is excluded
- Last Day En Route base camp Dinner is Not Included
- Transport from home city to manali and back
- Transfer / meals / accommodation other than mentioned above
- Unforeseen handling costs due to weather disturbance, landslides, political unrest,medical evacuations etc
- Personal expenses towards tips, telephone calls, laundry, beverage, insurance etc.
- Porter/mule charges for personal luggage per bag per person (< 12 kg)- INR 300 per day
- 1 Pair of Thermal
- 3 Pair of Socks + 1 Pair of woolen socks
- 2 Pair of Hand Gloves (Water Proof & Fleece material)
- Sun Cap
- Woolen Cap
- Neck Warmer (Scarf/Buff)
- 2 Quick Dry Full Sleeves (T-Shirt)
- 1 Full sleeves Fleece
- 1 Wind Proof Jacket (windcheater/Heavy Jacket)
- 2 Track Pants (No Cotton or Jeans)
- Sun Glass
- Sun scream, Lip balm, Moisturizer.
- Trek Pole
- Trekking Shoes (No Sports shoes or Woodland shoes)
- Poncho (The Gear used to protect from Rain)
- Day pack (Small one)
- Back Pack 60 liter (+ Rain cover)
- 2 Water Bottles
- Toilet Paper & Wet Wipes
- Hand Sanitizer
- Antibacterial Powder
- Tooth Brush
- Quick Dry Towel
Medicines to carry
- Crocin (1Strip)
- Disprine (1 Strip)
- Lomotive (1 Strip)
- Digene (1Strip)
- Band Aid - Quantity 5
- Neusphorine Powder
- Betadine Tube
- Vomistop/Avomine (Motion Sickness Tablet)
1. When is the best time recommended for the trek?
Best time to go for Hampta Pass Trek is from June to October.
2. How difficult is the Hampta Pass Trek?
Hampta Pass Trek in comparison is easy to moderate difficulty with another high altitude trek.
3. How much distance do we have to trek each day?
On an average, we cover roughly 6-7 km between our camping stations.
4. What will happen if a trek is extended?
Beyond our controllable reasons when the trek is extended, then additional charges tend to be applied.
5. Who will be our lead guide person?
Lead guide person is certified & experienced personnel. These guides are locally sourced and have other team members including local guides, cook, helpers, and porters.
6. Is this trek safe for girls?
Our treks are planned with a male: female ratio. As an organizer, we make sure that their tents are shared only with other female trekkers.
7. Many people in a tent?
Our tents are all three person tents.
8. What is the level of fitness expected from the trekkers?
Good physical and mental fitness is expected to complete the Trek. Hampta pass trek is ideal for beginners to familiarize themselves with similar high altitude treks.
9. Typical Food menu during a trek?
We make sure that wholesome and nutritious breakfast, lunch and evening snacks are served. We believe and serve only vegetarian food as it is easy to digest and preferable in high altitudes.
10. What if we encounter a medical emergency?
We are trained to manage emergencies in high altitudes. Our lead guide is professionals and experienced. Our team do carry emergency first aid kits and oxygen cylinder.