DeDeoriatal - Tungnath - Chopta Chandrashila Trek
Chandrashila means Moon rock. Chopta chandrashila trek is a journey to the height of about 4000 meters above sea level. Changrashila is with a spectacular view of the Himalayas, especially Nandadevi, Trishul, Kedar Peak, Bandarpunch, and Chaukhamba peaks. There are many legends about the place. One such is that Lord Rama meditated here after defeating the Demon King Ravana. Another such legend story is that the moon god Chandra spent time here in penance. The beauty of this trekking location is incredible with its impressive vantage point offering a 360-degree panoramic view of the mighty Himalayas.
Highlights of Chopta Chandrashila Trek
- A major highlight of the trek is the summit view of the snow-capped high mountain peaks in the Himalayas.
- Nature lovers adore the place for Bird watching.
- Watching the blossoms of the forest from the peaceful lakeside picnic.
- Experience the Himalayan eco-lodges and huts with a view of the valley.
Basic Details of Chopta Chandrashila Trek
- The Chandrashila trek height of the peak: 13,123 feet
- Difficulty level: Easy to Moderate
- Age group: 12-35 years
- Duration: 4days/3nights
- Chandrashila trek distance: 25 Km (one way)
Chopta Chandrashila Cost
- Double sharing: Rs. 16,499/- per person (Ex Delhi)
- Triple sharing: Rs. 15,499/- per person (Ex Delhi)
Chopta Chandrashila Trek Itinerary
Day 0 : Departure from Mumbai
Catch 12909 train (Garib Rath)
Day 1 : Arrive at Delhi and move towards Rishikesh
Arrive at Nizamuddin Railway Station in morning by 10:30 am. Our Tour Leader will be present to welcome you. Head towards Rishikesh. Check in at your hotel by 4 pm & freshenup. Later in evening get ready to witness the spectacular Ganga Aarti. Later you can enjoy hovering in streets of Rishikesh or explore Cafe's. Dinner & overnight stay in Rishikesh.
Day 2 : Chopta - Deoriatal
Early morning 6 am head towards Chopta. Breakfast on the way. Arrive Chopta in afternoon & freshenup. Get ready for a moderate ascent through a lovely forest trail full of rhododendron and maple trees. The Deoriatal trail is a picturesque one, to begin with. Evening head back to hotel & rest. Dinner & overnight stay in Chopta.
Day 3 : Tungnath Chandrashila Trek and back to Chopta
Early morning 7 am head towards highest Shiva Temple i.e Tungnath Chandrashila Trek. Gradual ascent to Tungnath on a well laid out path, followed by a steeper climb to Chandrashila for about an hour. The descent is on the same path. Total trek distance is 3.5 Kms from Chopta to Tungnath (3 Hrs) & 1 Km from Tungnath to Chandrashila (1 Hr). Return back to hotel in the evening & rest. Dinner & overnight stay in Chopta.
Day 4 : Chopta to Delhi
Early morning wake up & have your breakfast. Check out by 8 am & head towards Nizamuddin Railway Station. Arrive Nizamuddin Railway Station by 8 pm with happy memories of the trek. Catch 22210 Train (Duronto Express)
- Pulse rate at rest must be in between (60 to 90 beats per minute)
- Blood Pressure Reading must be in between (DIASTOLIC 75 - 85, SYSTOLIC 100-130 mm Hg)
- Respiratory rate at rest must be in between (12 to 20 breaths per minute)
- Should not have Liver and kidney issues
- Should not have Diabetes Mellitus, Bronchial Asthma, Epilepsy, Heart problems, Very High blood pressure etc.
- No pacemaker implant
- People with the Sinus issues please contact to trek coordinator before booking the trek
What is included in the tour
- 2 Night Stay in Luxury Hotel in Chopta
- 1 Night Stay in Luxury Hotel in Rishikesh
- 3 Breakfast & 1 Dinner
- Swift Dzire or Innova for whole tour from Delhi to Delhi
- Tour Leader for the whole tour
- Basic Medical Kit
What is NOT included in the tour
- Transport till Delhi and back
- Trekking equipment
- Personal porter charges
- Meals while travelling
- Additional activities charges
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required
- 1 Pair of Thermal
- 3 Pair of Socks + 1 Pair of woolen socks
- 2 Pair of Hand Gloves (Water Proof & Fleece material)
- Sun Cap
- Woolen Cap
- Neck Warmer (Scarf/Buff)
- 2 Quick Dry Full Sleeves (T-Shirt)
- 1 Full sleeves Fleece
- 1 Wind Proof Jacket (windcheater/Heavy Jacket)
- 2 Track Pants (No Cotton or Jeans)
- Sun Glass
- Sun scream, Lip balm, Moisturizer.
- Trek Pole
- Trekking Shoes (No Sports shoes or Woodland shoes)
- Poncho (The Gear used to protect from Rain)
- Day pack (Small one)
- Back Pack 60 liter (+ Rain cover)
- 2 Water Bottles
- Toilet Paper & Wet Wipes
- Hand Sanitizer
- Antibacterial Powder
- Tooth Brush
- Quick Dry Towel
Medicines to carry
- Crocin (1Strip)
- Disprine (1 Strip)
- Lomotive (1 Strip)
- Digene (1Strip)
- Band Aid - Qty 5
- Neusphorine Powder
- Betadine Tube
- Vomistop/Avomine (Motion Sickness Tablet)
- 60 to 46 days prior to date of departure: 20% of the tour cost
- 45 to 16 days prior to date of departure: 50% of the tour cost
- Less than 15 days prior to date of departure: No refund
- No show No Refund
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation
What is the distance of Chopta to Chandrashila Trek?
The Chopta to Chandrashila trek distance is around 4.5 km one way. This trek is considered moderate in difficulty, and it typically takes around 3-4 hours to complete the trek one way. The trek starts from the small village of Chopta, and it takes you through a beautiful trail of meadows, forests, and rocky terrain, leading to the summit of Chandrashila peak. The trek offers beautiful views of the surrounding peaks such as Chaukhamba, Kedarnath, Nanda devi, and more.
Tungnath Temple to Chandrashekha Trek Distance
The distance between Chandrashila Peak Top and Tungnath is around 1.5 kilometers, and despite the steep ascent, the trip may be readily done in one hour. At Chandrashila, there is a modest temple from which one may enjoy great 360-degree beautiful scenery of the Kumaon and Garhwal hills.
Is Chandrashila trek for beginners?
The Chandrashila trek is considered to be relatively easy and is suitable for first-time trekkers. Many people choose to stay in Chopta and do a day hike to Tungnath and Chandrashila, returning on the same day, which makes it a good option for beginners.
Best Time to Trek Chopta Tungnath
The best time to trek from Chopta to Tungnath is from April to June and September to November. These months offer pleasant weather conditions and clear skies, making it an ideal time for trekking. April and May are the months when the rhododendrons are in full bloom and the forests are covered in vibrant colors. September to November is the post-monsoon season, and the weather is clear and perfect for trekking.
It's worth noting that in the winter, trekking can be difficult due to snowfall and slippery conditions. It's not recommended to trek in the monsoon season as the trail can be muddy and slippery, and it can be prone to landslides.
In Chopta, when can we expect to see snow?
Chopta has a pristine snow season from around the middle of January through about the middle of March, during which time skiers and snow trekkers may have a blast. Chopta is beautiful, with snow covering the trees and creating a winter wonderland atmosphere.
Can we spend the night at Tungnath temple?
The answer is yes, but only in the summer or fall seasons because the temperature in Tungnath is too cold in the winter. In reality, you will not see anyone staying at the top throughout the winter. I had recently completed the Tungnath Chandrashilla trek, which was mesmerizing.
Where to stay in Chopta Tungnath
There are a few places to stay in Chopta Tungnath. The Himalaya Eco Lodge and Treks is a popular choice. They provide luxurious, pleasant, and secure lodging. Himalayan Adventure Home, The Ravine River View Resort, and Basera Resort are some other alternatives.
How to reach Chopta Tungnath
There are several ways to reach Chopta Tungnath:
By Air: The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, which is well-connected to major cities in India. From there, you can take a taxi or bus to reach Chopta.
By Train: The nearest railway station is Haridwar, which is well-connected to major cities in India. From there, you can take a taxi or bus to reach Chopta.
By Bus: Chopta is well connected by road, and there are regular bus services from major cities in Uttarakhand such as Rishikesh and Dehradun.
By car: You can also drive to Chopta from major cities in Uttarakhand, such as Rishikesh and Dehradun.
It's worth noting that the last stretch of the road leading to Chopta is not well-maintained and can be a bit challenging to drive on, especially in the rainy season.
Weather for the Chopta Tungnath Trek
The Chopta Tungnath trek generally has pleasant and cool weather. During the winter months (November to March), temperatures generally range from 5 to 10 degrees Celsius during the day and drop to around -10 degrees Celsius at night. During the summer months (April to October), temperatures range from 15-20 degrees Celsius during the day, dropping to 10-15 degrees Celsius at night.
Chopta Tungnath Trek in December
The Chopta Tungnath trek in December can be challenging as the temperature can drop to -5 to 0 degrees Celsius, which can make it quite cold and treacherous due to snow and ice. The trail can be snow-covered and slick, making trekking difficult.It's not recommended to attempt the trek during this time, as the conditions can be dangerous and it's not safe. It's best to plan the trek during the months of April through June and September through November, which are the best months for trekking in this area.