Matheran bird-watching expedition
Matheran Birdwatching Expedition is a beginning path to the cosmos of birds in the most natural woods nearby Mumbai. Matheran is a scenic hill station in the Western Ghats mountain range, near Karjat.
Although it's relatively small in terms of population, its' natural significance is unmatched. The most common way to get to Matheran is by toy train or car, along with thousands of other weekend escapists flocking there for fun. The most common hiking trail starts at Neral which can get tiring during the winter months!
Matheran Birdwatching is a chance to spend time and appreciate different kinds of birds found locally in the Matheran forests. A visit might bring you face to face with the Orange-headed ground thrush, Indian Cuckoo, Malabar whistling Thrush, Sunbirds, and flowerpeckers, White-rumped shama chirping in the trees around you along the trails!
Matheran bird expedition is accessible in the less trekked trails. We cross our way South to North in search of migratory birds in forested areas. We come across Bombay nightjar, Bombay bushchat, grey-headed canary flycatcher, red-whiskered bulbul & Wyanad laughing thrush along with whistling thrushes and other brilliant color birds.
The single hill station in Asia free of cars is sheltering diverse post-monsoon vegetations and faunas. Monsoon at this time of year is when the Malabar Whistling Thrush appears. It uses its loud, two-tone call to attract mates. The Malabar Grey Hornbill is dull, mainly green, but its face features vivid plumage colors. Female Asian Paradise Flycatchers make nests of thorny grass, weaving them together with silk; their long tails serve as an excellent flyswatter. Hearing the hoot of the Barn Owl brings flashbacks of certain scenes from Harry Potter; like many other owls, these birds are unafraid to hunt near humans. You can also see an Eagle Owl here at the Hornbill Valley! Post Monsoons are the prime birthing season for Squirrels; Malabar Giant Squirrels stick close to cliffs during rains, gnawing on grass stems for food! We've specially customized your tour so you'll have lots to do whether it's pouring or not!
Matheran Bird watching plan details
- Event Type: Bird walk
- No of days: Three days and two night
- Walk Grade: Easy walk around the forest
- Range: Matheran forest
- Elevation: 2625 feet above sea level
Matheran Bird Watching Expedition Cost
- Participant with Transport (Ex Mumbai): Rs. 9800/- per person
- Participant without Transport (Ex Matheran): Rs. 8600/- per person
Matheran Bird Expedition Itinerary
Day One - Mumbai to Matheran
Meet our team early morning and transfer to Matheran. From Dasturi, we will walk four kilometers at a slow pace to the Matheran center. Once we reach our hotel, your rooms will be allocated, and you can freshen up. Post lunch, we will start our evening wilderness trail through southern forest in search of Malabar Giant Squirrel, White-rumped Shama, Orange-headed Ground Thrush, Red-breasted Flycatcher, and White-breasted Flycatcher. Return to hotel before sunset. Will discuss days sighting. Dinner and stay at the hotel.
Day Two - West and North forest expedition
Wake up early and head out at dawn break. Head towards Western side of the hill in search of the Passerines, Barbets, Koels, Cuckoo, bee eater, swifts, doves, shrikes, Bulbuls, flowerpeckers, swallows, sunbirds, etc. Come back for breakfast. After breakfast head out for the accipiter's and raptors soaring high and perched on the hill edges. Return for lunch. After lunch rest for some time. After that start trail in the northern side of the forest. In search of the Paradise flycatcher, Monarch flycatcher, Tickells blue flycatcher and other birds and fauna of the monsoon. Return to the hotel by sunset. Enjoy evening snacks and take a rest. Have Dinner. After dinner will go out for night trail looking for the herps and amphibians. (Toads, frogs, snakes, scorpions, slugs, owls, bats, nightjar, etc.) Return to resort before midnight and call it a day.
Day Three - Matheran to Mumbai
The last day will be filled with relaxation and some activities. Post breakfast indulge in a treasure hunt game based on the sightings and fauna of Matheran. Explore the forest through out the game to unleash the treasure.
Leisure walk through Matheran Market before lunch. Post lunch depart for parking and transfer to Mumbai.
- Kindly note above itinerary is tentative. The trip might end late also depending on the traffic, weather conditions, group speed, and many other unforeseeable factors.
- Wildlife safaris are a matter of luck and opportunity. No guarantee of any sighting is made. Neither of our associates will quote that, although we try our best to spot and show you as much as nature allows us to.
- Never enter the forest with an intention of spotting a single species, it will only disappoint you. The forest is a gift packet with a lot to surprise with. Listen to our naturalist for more wonderful experience.
- Our safaris are not target species specific (Unless specified)
- We explore everything we find uncommon and need to be explained.
- Any demand for spotting a single species in any jeep will not be entertained by the guide or the tour leader as there are other travellers who would want to see the birds etc.
- Respect & honour everything that is in the forest and it has to offer you.
- Enjoy being in the forest and you will feel much happier away from the concrete chaos.
- Respect the local, tribes, guards, guides, drivers, officers and all animals.
- Front seat of the Gypsy is always reserved for the Guide or Guard.
- No extra room will be made for photographers, respecting other travellers. (For photographers it is recommended to opt for higher options)
- No littering in the forest strictly. (what goes comes back the same way)
- Camera fees & guide tips to be paid separately & directly.
- Kindly follow the instructions given by the tour leader and the guide for your own safety.
What is included in the tour
- 2 nights accommodation on twin sharing basis in 3* resort
- Transfers by AC vehicle. (Dadar/Borivali – Matheran – Dadar/Borivali) ** (With transport option)
- Day 1 Breakfast to Day 3 Lunch
- Forest Entry Fee for Matheran
- Professional Wildlife naturalist host of the experience
- GST 5%
- Convenience fee
What is NOT included in the tour
- Additional / personal use of vehicle.
- Pony/horse hire fee
- Porter for luggage from parking to Resort
- Extended stay due to weather conditions or any situation not in human control.
- Any personal expenses, room service and special orders, mineral waters, non-alcoholic beverages, tips, phone calls, laundry etc.
- Any extra excursions or sightseeing apart from the above specified itinerary.
- Cost incidental to any change in the itinerary due to bad weather, ill health, roadblocks and/or any factors beyond control.
- Camera fees.
- Airfares/Rail fares.
- Anything Specifically NOT mentioned in includes.
- A Hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- A dust protection mask
- Personal Bottle (To avoid plastic use – 1LtrsX2)
- Small backpack for trails (10Ltrs) and Proper backpack for your clothes, etc.
- Bird books
- Sun screen
- Raincoat/Wind-cheater/Rain jacket (NO UMBRELLA)
- Only dull coloured clothes (Green, brown, Beige, Camouflage)
- Camera (At owners risk) with proper equipment for photography (As per need)
- Fleece/Jacket (temperatures drop in the forest to below 10 degree Celsius
- Energy bars for trails
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 30 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 30 to 21 days prior to the event date.
- 20 % refund if notified via phone conversation 21 to 7 days prior to the event date
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 7 days prior to the event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If Trek gets canceled we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
- If the event is canceled due to any natural calamity, political unrest or other such reasons beyond our control the same cancellation policy will apply.
Why visit Matheran for Bird Watching?
The forest of Matheran is a beautiful place to visit in the winter. The forest walk is a great way to spot many beautiful birds, flowers, plants, butterflies, insects, and animals in its new green cover. There are many paths around the forest in the monsoon season. Every track will take you through a different part of the forest. You can spot beautiful birds like White-rumped Shama, Vigors Sunbird, Orange-headed thrush, Purple-rumped sunbird, Bulbuls, White-cheeked barbett, Herons, Flowerpecker, Malabar Whistling thrush, Fulvetta, Martin.
About Treks and Trails India?
Treks and Trails is a travel company that makes travel simple. You can go anywhere and do anything with Tours. Bird Watching Tours means pre-booked activities and transportation, and your trip is planned for you. Please chat with us to learn more.
Enjoy short tours as locals do. Choose beautiful destinations and fantastic food, allowing you to experience them like a local. Short Tours gives you the freedom to explore without the need to plan your travel itineraries and other trip details. Please chat with us for more information.