Matheran is one of the smallest hill stations in India, Located at an elevation of 2625 feet above sea level. Mumbai and Pune well connect it by road and railway. Matheran proximity to these both cities makes it a popular weekend getaway. Matheran means forest on the forehead of the mountains is an eco-sensitive region. It is Asia’s only automobile free hill station.
Matheran Trek Event Details
- Garbett Plateau trek difficulty level: Medium
- Garbett Plateau trek endurance level: High
- Base village for Garbett Plateau : Diksal - Ashane
- Region Matheran
- Total time required for climbing Garbett Plateau: Maximum 4 - 4.30 hrs from Bhivpuri road.
- Garbett point trek duration one Day.
- Garbett Plateau height is 2625 feet above the sea level
- Cost Rs. 699/- per person
Matheran Trek via Garbett Plateau Itinerary
Catch Karjat fast local from CSMT.
CSMT – Karjat fast local time table.
- 06:10 Mumbai CSMT
- 06:18 Byculla
- 06:24 Dadar
- 06:31 Kurla
- 06:49 Thane
- 07:02 Dombivli
- 07:13 Kalyan
- 07:56 Bhivpuri road
08:00 Meet at Bhivpuri road railway station, near the ticket counter. - Breakfast at Bhivpuri.
08:30 Start ascending Garbett Point Trek
13:30 Reach at Garbett Plateau. Explore and Lunch.
14:30 Move towards Matheran.
16:30 Reach at Matheran.
17:00 Reach Dasturi Naka and move towards Neral station by taxi.
18:00 Reach Neral railway station and disperse.
- People may board the same train from their respective stations of convenience.
- Missing the train is missing Garbett Point trek, no refund will be provided.
- Trekkers should carry packed Lunch for this Trek.
What is included in the tour
- 1 veg Breakfast
- Dasturi Naka to Neral station travel by taxi
- Trek Leader Expertise Charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Travel cost from Mumbai to Bhivpuri road and back from Neral.
- Lunch for the trek.
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered.
- Any kind of personal expenses.
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required.
- 2/3 liters of water
- Lunch for the trek
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek
- Good Torch must with extra battery
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 liters
- Rains are expected, so pack your bags accordingly to save them from getting wet
- Double pack your valuables / phones in plastic bags
- Rainwear / Poncho / Waterproof jacket etc. if you don’t want to get wet
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine
- Identity Proof
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If Trek get cancelled, we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
Frequently asked questions
1. Can we drive till Bhivpuri road railway station?
Yes, you can drive the Bhivpuri road station the Trek ends at Neral Railway Station from where you will have to reach on your own till your car parking location.
2. Distance from Mumbai to Bhivpuri road railway station?
Two and half hours drive from Mumbai 85 km approx.
3. Distance from Pune to Bhivpuri road?
Three hours drive from Pune - 110 km approx.
4. The number of days required for this event?
One day is required for Garbett Plateau Monsoon trek near Mumbai.
5. Is there food available on Garbett Plateau Matheran?
No food is not available at the base village. There are many general stores before the start of the Trek you can buy few dry snacks from here.
6. How much time required to climb Garbett Plateau?
Four hours one way is required to climb the Garbett plateau trek route.
7. Where can we park our cars?
Base Village at your own risk. There is no designated car parking available.
8. Is there any parking charge?
Yes. Locals might ask for a parking fee.
9. Are Toilet Available on Garbett trek?
Not available. During the Trek, toilets are not available.
10. Do Single travellers female sign up for these events?
We have 60 - 40 % or more Male - Female ratios on our events.
Many Single Travelling Female join our events.
11. Are Kids allowed on treks?
Kids below 15 years of age with Parents supervision only allowed on treks in Maharashtra.
12. What type of food will be provided?
Only Veg local home-cooked food is available.
13. Phone Connectivity on Trek to Garbett Plateau?
Limited phone connectivity is available for most cellular service. During monsoon, please carry rain case to keep the phone dry from heavy rains.
14. Is cash payment or spot payment accepted?
Cash payment is not accepted.
Registration against 100% upfront payment only via Paytm / UPI / NEFT / IMPS / Payment Gateway / Google pay.
On the spot payment, they are not accepted.
We need to book in advance bus/jeep and make other arrangements upfront payment is a must.
15. Will I get bottled water?
Normal well water shall be provided. We will pass a village during the Trek where you can refill your water bottle using well water.
16. Can I charge my phone?
No electricity. Please carry a power bank if required.
17. How is the weather now?
Summer Temperature Night 20 Degree - Day 39 Degree approx.
Monsoon rains very heavily please double pack your expensive phones and gadgets.
18. Can we smoke or drink alcohol?
No Drinking alcohol, Smoking, Drugs of any kind are not allowed on this Trek. People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
19. Can we listen to music on Bluetooth speaker?
Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speaker is not allowed while trekking, Bluetooth speaker not allowed inside homestay.
20. How do I make payment?
You can pay online on our website on how to register tabs.
In case your question is not listed above, you can email us email@example.com
You can whatsapp us 9764461419 - 8828004949 we are available Monday to Friday 11.00 am to 6.00 pm.
21. I am looking for Garbett plateau night trek?
Garbett point night trek is available during the winter and summer months.
Garbett Plateau Trek detailed itinerary
Garbett point is a popular destination near Dasturi Naka at Matheran hill station. Garbett plateau monsoon trek is popular with hikers from Mumbai, Thane, Pune. Trekking groups in Mumbai prefer this garbett hike during the rainy season there is little or no tree cover during the trek so trekking during winter and summer during the day can be difficult under a hot sun.
Garbett Trek near Bhivpuri an attractive easy to medium grade trek enjoy Matheran waterfalls, streams, walk in the clouds and feel refreshed with cold winds. Garbett Point trek is a popular Matheran trip one day.
Kindly board the train as mentioned in the itinerary and meet our trek leader at Bhivpuri Road Railway Station. You will see many fellow hikers, trekkers, picnickers getting down at Bhivpuri. It is a popular destination during the rainy season with many Waterfalls originating from Matheran hills. Bhivpuri is also famous for waterfall rappelling during the monsoon season.
Our trek leader will meet you at the railway station from here we will walk till the restaurant for our breakfast and to use the toilets before trek. During the trek, there are no toilets available. After breakfast, we will start walking towards the Dhom Dam, and you can buy some dry snacks or refill your water bottles before we reach the Dhom Dam lake viewpoint.
Dhom Dam is popular among camping enthusiast it is also known as Bhivpuri Dam Camping available only during winter and summer months. Our trek leader will give all the hiker's route instruction, and we will enjoy warm-up exercise and group introduction. The Garbett point trek starts from the Dhom Dam Lake viewpoint.
Many routes lead till the Garbett hill we will take the Diksal Waterfall or Ashane Waterfall route. Diksal Waterfall is a popular hidden waterfall rappelling destination in Bhivpuri. In recent years waterfall rappelling has been banned at almost all famous waterfall during the monsoon. The adventure travel community has not been able to convince the forest department for permission and permits at popular destinations to begin waterfall rappelling.
As we walk towards the Garbett hill we will keep the Dhom Dam on the right hand you can see many beautiful waterfalls, you will cross small slippery streams. There are many rice fields along the trek path. Many farmers work these field during the monsoon season you can ask them for directions in case you lose your route.
After walking for a few minutes, you will see the Diksal Waterfall it is crowded on the weekends, we will cross another slippery river here and start climbing uphill towards Sagachiwadi there are many small villages dotted in the mountains. After reaching the village, we can refill our water bottles here and take a break for snacks. Few villagers work as a guide here to help you complete the next part of your trek till Garbett point Matheran.
Now the climb will be uphill through green grass, high winds and fog circling us. The rain with high winds is non stop here; please pack your gadgets well on this trek. As we start gaining height on the Garbett Hill slopes, the Dhom Dam will be behind us. Usually, local dogs will give you company as they look for food from trekkers in return they help you scout the hiking path and provide you with security against monkeys. Matheran points in monsoon is popular among trekkers of Maharashtra there are many trekking routes like Dodhani to Matheran trek, One tree hill trek, Peb Fort Trek.
Uphill Garbett hill trek will be challenging it is exposed to fall in some spots, will be slippery and low visibility on a rainy day. Trekkers need to wear good trekking shoes; this will help them navigate the hike easily. After browsing the uphill section, we will reach the Garbett Plateau. The large hill extends till the Garbett Point hill. It gives excellent views of Bhivpuri and Karjat. The best section during the trek you can enjoy scenic views of the valley on both sides.
From the Garbett Point, two routes will lead you till Matheran Dasturi Naka. The first route is a short cut through an exposed ridge with a fall of around 80 feet. The second route through the village inside Matheran is more prolonged and safer these will also end at Dasturi Naka. Once you reach Matheran, do take care of your bags as there many monkeys who will go after water bottles, eatables, anything hanging on your bag. The best thing to do here is to use a rain cover over your bag; this avoids the monkeys from grabbing your backpack.
After reaching Dasturi Naka, we will board sharing taxi till Neral Railway Station it takes 30 to 45 minutes to cover this distance. The trek ends at Dasturi Naka hikers on reaching Neral can start boarding the trains to reach Mumbai or Karjat as per their home destination. Trekking in Mumbai is very popular during the monsoon season please book in advance to avoid last minute disappointments. Matheran popular destination for Maharashtra ecotourism you can also stay back here and explore the pristine forest famous for wildlife. There are many beautiful spots in Matheran dotted with thick fog and waterfalls.