Malshej Ghat Trek and Kalu Waterfall Trek adventurous plan?
Nestled in the lofty hills of Western Ghats is the majestic mountain pass of Malshej Ghat. Just like the hill stations of Lonavala, Mahabaleshwar and Matheran, Malshej Ghat has evolved into a tourist destination over the years. Being a surreal location all-round the year, Malshej Ghat is draped in mist and beautified with myriad species of flora and fauna. Owning to its vivid shiny lakes, well-defined dams, untouched waterfalls, rugged mountains, and verdant greenery, Malshej Ghat has become a go-to destination among hikers and nature enthusiasts. Drawing in an ancient vibe, the temples in Malshej Ghat date back to the 16th century AD and are prodigious specimens of architecture marvel. Malshej Ghat is a wild haven with gigantic mountains, limitless gorges and never seen before enchanted forests. Treks and Trails bring you this exclusive Malshej Ghat Jungle Trek to sniff the essence of the pristine jungle and mountain air of this ancient mountain pass. The route of this jungle trek is quite ancient and is the one which was taken by villagers to commute long before the ghat road was constructed. The trail starts near MTDC that descends into the valley and ends near the base of Kalu Waterfall.
It has also been archived that the route we will be hiking through has been descended by the Maratha army during Vasai Expedition against the Portuguese. The jungle trek route has a figurine of Lord Ganesha, several water cisterns and sporadic rock-carved steps. The majority of this forest trail is enveloped in a dense canopy of trees and vegetation. Therefore, the path is shady and hardly exposed to the sun. Nearing the end of this archaic route we switch to another trail that runs parallel to the fierce Kalu river, which is aggressive in the monsoons. The Kalu river is the origin of the magnificent Kalu Waterfalls. If you don’t know already, Kalu Waterfalls is one of the largest waterfalls in Maharashtra and the largest of the Malshej region. The Kalu Waterfall plunges from a massive height of 1200 feet and is a five-layer cascade. We will only be at a distance of kilometres and a half from this gargantuan waterfall. Besides the Kalu Waterfall, you'll also get to see another spectacular waterfall to the right, concealed in a gorge. These marvellous forest trails offer spellbinding views of Harishchandragad, Rohidas, Bhairavgad, Kombada and Thidbi.
Please chat with us now click here
Malshej Ghat and Kalu Waterfall Trek
- Cost with transport: Rs. 1499/- per person
Old Malshej Ghat and Kalu Waterfall Trek
- 10:45 pm - Meet at Borivali National Park main gate.
- 11:00 pm - Leave for the trek.
- 11:30 pm - Pick up at Andheri WEH.
- 11:45 pm - Pick up at Kalanagar bus stop (on the highway), Bandra.
- 12:00 am - Pick up at Sion station circle.
- 12:10 am - Amar Mahal, Ghatkopar.
- 12:45 am - Pick up at Teen Hath Naka, Thane.
- 01:10 am - Pick up at Kalyan Bypass.
04:00 am - Reach at base village.
04:30 am - Freshen up and have breakfast.
05:00 am - Move towards starting point.
06:30 am - Start descending towards Malshej ghat jungle.
10:00 am - Visit Kalu waterfall from 1.5km distance. and start trek towards base village.
02:00 pm - Have a Lunch.
03:00 pm - Start return journey towards Mumbai.
10:00 pm - Approx. arrival at Mumbai.
What is included in the tour
- Travel in private non-Ac vehicle
- 1 veg breakfast and 1 veg lunch
- Trek Leader expertise and Basic First Aid
What is NOT included in the tour
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered.
- Any kind of personal expenses.
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required.
- 2/3 Liters of water
- Proper face mask or shield
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on the trek
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 litres
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets
- Good Torch must with an extra battery
- Identity Proof
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles
- Rains are expected, so pack your bags accordingly to save them from getting wet
- Double pack your valuables/phones in plastic bags
- Rainwear / Poncho / Waterproof jacket etc. if you don’t want to get wet
Covid Safety Guidelines
- Before planning for any adventure activity, please improve your minimum physical fitness. Most of us have been at home for a lockdown period.
- Please convey your real medical conditions to Treks and Trails India while enrolling for the event.
- Kindly wear three-layered masks, N95. Carry an extra disposable mask with you. Please ensure all participants, leaders, staff, and general persons wear masks before interacting with them.
- Carry with your hand wash, sanitizer bottle, and clean your hands before touching food and objects.
- Cover-up wear full sleeves shirts and full pants, hiking shoes, caps, and face bandana over your mask. Covering up will help reduce exposure to the Covid19 virus.
- Bring your food and water with necessary cutlery like utility mug, fork, and spoon. Your mug can be used for cooking, eating, and drinking water. Carry your reusable water bottles; please don’t share with others.
- Cooperate for temperature checks, questions reading any symptoms, and oxygen level checks; these are done to help you limit the spread of the virus. All these checks will be conducted multiple times during the activities.
- Kindly do not register for the event or travel if you have come in contact with someone who has Covid19 in the last 14 days.
- If you have any symptoms like fever, dry cough, weakness, body aches, etc., at the time of screening. You won't be able to participate in the event. You will have to be evacuated on the medical condition and should report to the nearest healthcare center.
- Maintain a distance of six feet or more while sleeping at night. Incase distance is not possible, try sleeping in a criss-cross manner to avoid face proximity.
- Please bring your garbage back to the city and dispose of it in your bin.
- Consuming any alcohol, cigarettes, pan masala, tobacco, drugs should be avoided; they induce a lot of spitting, urinating, and passive smoke, which can be harmful for the general population.
- Avoid touching new surfaces and touching your mask and face continuously.
- If your adventure destination is overcrowded, be prepared to change your location or wait for the crowd to reduce.
- If any participant, trek leader test positive after returning from the event within 14 days of the Activity. They should maintain transparency and inform Treks and Trails India. It will help all others isolate themselves and get tested. Participants and Treks and Trails will cooperate to help manage the situation.
- Carry your own personal gear.
- Keep the conversation with unknown people to a minimum and maintain a distance of more than 6 feet while talking.
- Avoid speaking with the general population and maintain distance to keep yourself safe in these difficult times.
- Participant need to install the Arogya Setu app
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to the event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If Trek gets canceled, we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
- If the event is canceled due to any natural calamity, political unrest or other such reasons beyond our control the same cancellation policy will apply.
Treks and Trails Event Rules
- Kindly carry one Identity proof, at least for the trek with your address.
- We all are going for an adventurous and exciting trekking expedition; please Do Not misinterpret it as a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR.
- The leader's decision will be final, and all the members should abide by it.
- We do not destroy or dirty the archaeological, historical monuments, natural habitat on the trek.
- Swimming is not allowed in the lake or water tank on the forts. Locals use that water for drinking.
- Putting your feet in water tanks or on the canon is not allowed on our treks.
- Any addiction is strictly prohibited, e.g. drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco anyone caught doing it will have to exit the trek without a refund and travel back on own expense.
- People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
- Please do not carry or wear any valuables, ornaments, jewellery, etc. If carried, then we Do Not take any liability for the same.
- Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking, or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events, you are at your own risk. Organizers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner.
- We should strictly follow the code of conduct to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or outside.
- Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking.
- Bluetooth speaker not allowed inside the homestay or camping tents.
- Drinking/smoking,/eating is not allowed inside the tents.
- If you damage the tent, break the tent poles, you will have to pay us for the whole new tent on MRP.
- If you are late for the bus pickup and are not reachable on the phone during your bus pickup, the trek leader will leave without you, and we will provide no refund.
- Please check things to carry and wear trekking shoes on our treks.
Malshej Ghat Trek Information
Malshej Ghat Jungle Trek Starting point: Old Trade Route, Malshej Ghat.
Malshej Ghat Jungle Trek gradient: Moderate trek which requires a medium endurance. Malshej Ghat forest trek is a flat trail with a few rising and falling segments.
Approximate time of the Malshej Ghat Jungle Trek: It takes about three to four hours to ascend and two to three hours to descend.
Malshej Ghat Jungle Trekking distance: 14 km (both ways)
Water sources on Malshej Ghat Jungle Trek: There are numerous streams and waterfalls on the trail from where water can be filled. However, one should carry at least two litres of water before starting the trek.
Best months to visit Malshej Ghat Jungle: It is highly recommended to trek during the monsoon months. The best months are June to September as during heavy monsoons the trail becomes similar to that of the rainforest. The trekkers can enjoy several waterfalls in their full glory and plunge pools. Post monsoon the trail is decorated with various wildflowers, while the climate switches between humid and cool.
Highlights of the Malshej Ghat Trek
- Walking along the tribal ancient path which was taken by the Maratha Army during the War with Portuguese.
- Witnessing the biggest waterfalls of the Sahyadris and the Western Ghats
- Crossing the thunderous Kalu river which gives birth to Kalu Waterfalls
- The tranquil trek in this enchanted forest will prove to be rejuvenating to the chaotic city life.
- After the trek, we get a chance to take a dip in the clean blue waters of the Kalu River and relax our muscles.
- Dance away in several waterfalls throughout the route which makes the trek a fun frolic affair.
- Stroll through rolling meadows and paddies neatly stitched into a huge quilt of varying greens.
- Gaze at the peaks hiding behind rolling mists and bluish-grey monsoon clouds all striving for your attention.
- Catch a glimpse of some rare migratory birds like Pied Crusted, Alpine Swift, Flamingos and Sundry in the forest. Malshej Ghat is particularly known for the pink flamingos which migrate here during July and September.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How is the Malshej Ghat Weather?
Malshej ghat is a hill station in the Western Ghats of Maharashtra, India. The hill station has a temperate climate. The average temperature is around 27 degrees Celsius with humidity between 60 and 80%. The weather at Malshej ghat changes from foggy to heavy rains during the day to a beautiful sunset at night. During the morning, you will experience strong winds and pleasant temperature.
2. We are staying at MTDC Malshej Ghat can we join you for the trek?
Yes, we can provide you google coordinates for joining our trek from MTDC Malshej Ghat. Cost will be different, We can share a quote please connect with our team for more details.
3. Malshej Ghat best time to visit?
The monsoons and winters are the best time to visit Malshej Ghat Trek and Kalu Waterfall. Summers is ideal for night photography and camping.
Malshej ghat is a trendy tourist spot in Maharashtra. The forest area and the beautiful greenery is a perfect place for nature lovers to visit and rejuvenate. This place is famous for its various waterfalls, streams, trails, hiking, hikes, trekking, camping, waterfall rappelling, and more.
This place has become a popular destination during the rainy season. Monsoon brings life to all of the trees in this area, while winters are perfect for long India hikes through Malshej ghat.
4. How is Malshej ghat in monsoon?
Malshej Ghat is also known for its foggy morning during monsoon that envelops everything in mist and makes it a perfect place to experience the beauty of nature. The temperature here remains pleasant throughout the year owing to its high altitude, which means it may be cold in winter but not hot like other hill stations in Maharashtra. Malshej Ghat is an idyllic hill station that is a popular and beautiful destination for trekking, hikes in India, picnics, nature walks, birding, camping, boating, and sightseeing.