About Kunjargad Fort
Kunjargad Fort mountain resembles like a giant Elephant from the base village, Sanskrit meaning of Kunjar is the Elephant. Locally the fort is referred to as Kombadgad. Vihir Village is the starting point of Kunjargad Fort Trek.
Kunjargad Fort has some traces of the fort building. You can find Shiv Ling, Nandi, Rainwater reservoir, Idol of Lord Hanuman, Tunnel, Kolaba idol when you explore the fort.
Kunjargad lies in the Balaghat hill range it falls behind Harishchandragad. Balaghat has forts like Kalalgad, Bhairavgad, Kunjargad. During the monsoon season the Kunjargad fort region is prone to the heavy monsoon, dense fog it should be visited post monsoon during the flowering season.
Kunjargad Fort is renowned for two idols located in dense trees. Locals have attempted to relocate the Idols to the base village temple though have failed till date.
Kunjargad Fort is reachable from Vihir village on the Mula river basin from the northside. You can also trek to Kunjargad from Fofsandi village on the southside of the fort. You get terrific and comprehensive views of Harishchandragad Fort from the Kunjargad Fort. Both routes meet before the last ascent of the rock-cut steps. You can find caves here which used to keep watch on Fofsandi and Vihir village. We will explore the remains of the construction, rainwater reservoir, caves.
Kunjargad Fort is famous for the Bhuyar or narrow tunnel around 45 feet long. Claustrophobic people should avoid this tunnel as it is very tight and dark. You will need a good torch to navigate it.
Kunjargad Fort Trek Itinerary
Please board the below train from your nearest railway station and meet us near the ticket counter at Kasara Railway Station.
Train Time Timings CSMT-Kasara:
- 08:50 pm – CSMT
- 08:58 pm – Byculla
- 09:05 pm – Dadar
- 09:12 pm – Kurla
- 09:16 pm – Ghatkopar
- 09:32 pm – Thane
- 09:44 pm – Dombivali
- 09:53 pm – Kaylan
- 11:05 pm – Kasara Railway Station
Kindly reach railway station 15 minutes before train arrival to avoid missing the train. You can use mindicator app for updated train timings and platform indications.
- 11:30 pm - Move towards Vihir Village via local jeeps on a sharing basis.
- 03:00 am - Reach base village and rest in open carry sleeping material.
- 05:00 am - Wake up call and Breakfast
- 05:30 am - Kunjargad Fort Trek begins
- 08:00 am - Summit Kunjargad Fort Top and explore the foot
- 09:00 am - Visit the Tunnel or Bhuyar
- 10:30 am - Start return journey towards base village.
- 12:00 pm - We will reach the base village and enjoy lunch at the villager's house.
- 02:00 pm - Kasara Railway Station journey starts in our jeeps
- 05:30 pm - Reach Kasara Railway Station begin our journey towards Mumbai
What is included in the tour
- Kasara to Kasara Jeep travel on sharing basis
- One Breakfast, Lunch and Evening tea
- Trek Leader expertise
What is NOT included in the tour
- Anything not mentioned in cost includes
- 2/3 liters of water
- Packed lunch for the trek
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on the trek
- Good Torch must with an extra battery
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 litres
- Rains are expected, so pack your bags accordingly to save them from getting wet
- Double pack your valuables/phones in plastic bags
- Rainwear / Poncho / Waterproof jacket etc. if you don’t want to get wet
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine
- Identity Proof
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles