Tungnath - Chopta Chandrashila Trek
Chandrashila means Moon rock. Chandrashila trek is the journey to the height of about 4000 meters above the sea level. Changrashila is with the spectacular view of the Himalayas, especially Nandadevi, Trishul, Kedar Peak, Bandarpunch and Chaukhamba peaks. There are many legends about the place. One such is that Lord Rama meditated here after defeating the Demon King Ravana. Another one of such legend story is that the moon god Chandra spent time here in penance. The beauty of this trekking location is incredible with its impressive vantage point offering a 360-degree panoramic view of the mighty Himalayas.
Highlights of Chandrashila Trek:
Major highlight of the trek is the summit view of the snow caped high mountain peaks in the Himalayas.
Nature lovers adore the place for Bird watching.
Experience the Himalayan eco lodges and huts with the view of the valley.
Basic Details of Chandrashila Trek:
The height of the peak: 13,123 feet
Difficulty level: Easy to Moderate
Age group: 12-45 years
How to Reach Chandrashila Trek from Dehradun:
Dehradun brings the closest to our base location with the airport Jolly Grant. Dehradun is linked to all the states and city with a daily flight from Delhi.
From Delhi - DDN NZM AC EXPRESS (2205)
From Kolkata - Doon Express (13009)
From Mumbai - Dehradun Express (19019)
From Chennai - Dehradun express (12687)
Dehradun is connected by roads across the country with NH 72 connecting regions like Panchkula, Chandigarh and Shimla. There are ample Local and private buses to Dehradun.
Chandrashila Trek Itinerary:
1- Dehradun to Chopta
We drive through the towns of Devprayag, Rudraprayag and Ukhimath to reach Chopta. This is a reserved forest and the nip in the air is easily felt due to the omnipresent oak trees. We pitch tents in Chopta and spent the night in the forest with hot dinner.
2- Chopta to Tungnath temple (3,680 m) to Chandrashila (3,950 m) and back to Chopta (2,680 m)
- 5-6 hours trek: 8 km
We start early today. From the picturesque environs of Chopta, we take the path through the arch leading up to the temple. Along the way, one may be able to spot a monal bird in the forest towards left. Himalayan Monal is the state bird of Uttrakhand. Tungnath is a short 2 km trek from Chopta. The temple is only visible in the last few hundred metres. It opens only in early summer and remains closed in winters. There are a few shops before the temple. We head up past the temple to the peak. According to a legend, Chandrashila is the place where Lord Rama meditated after defeating the demon-king Ravana. Another legend says that moon-god Chandra spent time here in penance. Stories apart, one gets to see a wide expanse of the most famous peaks of Garhwal from here. Soaking in the beautiful 360-degree views of the Himalayas we begin heading down to Chopta and reach by late afternoon.
3- Chopta to Dehradun
- 7 hours' drive: 203 km
On this day, we can visit Omkareshwar temple in Ukhimath. It is the winter abode of the idols of Kedarnath and Madmaheshwar temples. The idols are brought here in palanquin when the Kedarnath temple closes in autumn. We drive back to Dehradun and reach by early evening.
What is included in the tour
- Transport support from and to Dehradun: starting from pickup on day 1 to drop on day 3.
- Guide and cook fees.
- Rent for camping equipment.
- Forest entry charges.
- Porter and mule support to carry camping equipment. Please note that personal luggage can be carried by mules and/or porters on chargeable basis.
- All veg meals starting from day 1 dinner to day 3 lunch.
- Tented accommodation throughout the trek.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Transport to reach Dehradun from hometown.
- Personal expenses like tips, personal medicines, phone calls etc.
- Any transport support during the trek apart from what is included above.
- Rent for trekking shoes is Rs 200 per trekking day. The charges are applicable irrespective of whether the shoes are worn or not during the trek. Availability of shoes need to be confirmed with us.
- Rent for walking stick is Rs 50 per trekking day. The charges are applicable irrespective of whether the stick is used or not.
- Accommodation in Dehradun.
- Personal luggage with mass not exceeding 12 kg per bag per person can be carried by porters/mules @ Rs 300 per day per bag.
- 1 Pair of Thermal
- 3 Pair of Socks + 1 Pair of woolen socks
- 2 Pair of Hand Gloves (Water Proof & Fleece material)
- Sun Cap
- Woolen Cap
- Neck Warmer (Scarf/Buff)
- 2 Quick Dry Full Sleeves (T-Shirt)
- 1 Full sleeves Fleece
- 1 Wind Proof Jacket (windcheater/Heavy Jacket)
- 2 Track Pants (No Cotton or Jeans)
- Sun Glass
- Sun scream, Lip balm, Moisturizer.
- Trek Pole
- Trekking Shoes (No Sports shoes or Woodland shoes)
- Poncho (The Gear used to protect from Rain)
- Day pack (Small one)
- Back Pack 60 liter (+ Rain cover)
- 2 Water Bottles
- Toilet Paper & Wet Wipes
- Hand Sanitizer
- Antibacterial Powder
- Tooth Brush
- Quick Dry Towel
The FAQ on Chandrashila Trek:
1. When is the best time recommended for the trek?
Best time to go for Chandrashila Trek is from June to October.
2. How difficult is the Chandrashila Trek?
Chandrashila Trek in comparison is easy to moderate difficulty with another high altitude trek.
3. How much distance do we have to trek each day?
On an average, we cover roughly 6-7kms between our camping stations.
4. What will happen if a trek is extended?
Beyond our controllable reasons when the trek is extended, then additional charges tend to be applied.
5. Who will be our lead guide person?
Lead guide person is certified & experienced personnel. These guides are locally sourced and have other team members including local guides, cook, helpers and porters.
6. Is this trek safe for girls?
Our treks are planned with a male: female ratio. As an organizer, we make sure that their tents are shared only with other female trekkers.
7. Many people in a tent?
Our tents are all three person tents.
8. What is the level of fitness expected from the trekkers?
Good physical and mental fitness is expected to complete the Trek. Chandrashila Trek is ideal for beginners to familiarize themselves with similar high altitude treks.
9. Typical Food menu during a trek?
We make sure that wholesome and nutritious breakfast, lunch and evening snacks are served. We believe and serve only vegetarian food as it is easy to digest and preferable in high altitudes.
10. What if we encounter a medical emergency?
We are trained to manage emergencies in high altitudes. Our lead guide is professional and experienced. Our team do carry emergency first aid kits and oxygen cylinder.