Deoriatal - Tungnath - Chopta Chandrashila Trek
Chandrashila means Moon rock. Chandrashila trek is the journey to the height of about 4000 meters above the sea level. Changrashila is with the spectacular view of the Himalayas, especially Nandadevi, Trishul, Kedar Peak, Bandarpunch and Chaukhamba peaks. There are many legends about the place. One such is that Lord Rama meditated here after defeating the Demon King Ravana. Another one of such legend story is that the moon god Chandra spent time here in penance. The beauty of this trekking location is incredible with its impressive vantage point offering a 360-degree panoramic view of the mighty Himalayas.
Highlights of Chandrashila Trek:
Major highlight of the trek is the summit view of the snow caped high mountain peaks in the Himalayas.
Nature lovers adore the place for Bird watching.
Watching the blossoms of the forest from the peaceful lakeside picnic.
Experience the Himalayan eco lodges and huts with the view of the valley.
Basic Details of Chandrashila Trek:
The height of the peak: 13,123 feet
Difficulty level: Easy to Moderate
Age group: 12-45 years
Trek distance: 25 Km (one way)
How to Reach Chandrashila Trek from Dehradun:
Dehradun brings the closest to our base location with the airport Jolly Grant. Dehradun is linked to all the states and city with a daily flight from Delhi.
From Delhi - DDN NZM AC EXPRESS (2205)
From Kolkata - Doon Express (13009)
From Mumbai - Dehradun Express (19019)
From Chennai - Dehradun express (12687)
Dehradun is connected by roads across the country with NH 72 connecting regions like Panchkula, Chandigarh and Shimla. There are ample Local and private buses to Dehradun.
Chandrashila Trek Itinerary:
Day 1 –Dehradun to Sari (6601 feet) to Deoria Tal (2,430 m)
We need to be at Dehradun by 6.00am. As our base camp, Deorital Chandrashila is an 8-hour drive from Haridwar. We pass through Devaprayag, the confluence of two mighty rivers Alakananda and Bhagirathi to form stream Ganga. The entire journey is Picturesque as we transverse the mountainside with a river flowing below till we reach Sari.It is a steep uphill bend on the ridge back of the mountain. Get ready for an excellent view challenged by the acutely tricky climb. As we climb up and up, the village localities vanish from sight. Twenty minutes further from 7,434 feet, we are standing on the water of Deoria Tal. It will be mid noon by the time we reach, and a grand vista of Chaukhamba massifs unveiled in the lake background.
Day 2 – Deoria Tal to Chopta (8790 feet)
Today we will witness the little shrines in the greenery with the bit of red and yellow flags tied on them. The post we cross the forest line, we will be ushered up on an ascending path towards Rohgini Bugyal and Chopta. Uphill will take you to the meadow with a cluster of huts of the Shepherds from local villages. Nearby the town, you will find a road heading into the jungle. Here we are at the Chopta village our today’s night stay campsite.
Day 3 – Chopta to Chandrashila via Tungnath and back to Chopta (13123 feet)
The day starts early morning in the dark to experience the beautiful sunrise from Tunganath top. We walk on the trail from Chopta to the village. There will be other shrines on the way, of which a particular temple with a flagpole is notable. This one comes after the 10th bend of the road and marks the opening of a splendid view of Chandrashila up ahead. From here, you will also get a clear vision of a connecting peak to Chandrashila. This one is named Ravanshila. The 1st bend marks the entryway to Tunganath and few more minutes of a walk ahead we have reached the 360-degree view of the Garhwal and Kumaon mountains. Notable peaks in this panorama of grandeur are—Nanda Devi, Trishul, Nandaghunti, Dronagiri, Chaukhamba, and Kedar. Glimpses of the Thalaysagar and Gangotri ranges too could be made out at the edges. The downhill journey is relatively less time consuming and smoother. It will take you about 3 hours to climb down to the Chopta campsite.
Day 4 – Chopta to Dehradun
Chopta also has a few private guest lodges. Board your jeeps from here for a drive back to Rishikesh. You will reach Rishikesh between 5.00pm and 6.00 pm.
The FAQ on Chandrashila Trek:
1. When is the best time recommended for the trek?
Best time to go for Chandrashila Trek is from June to October.
2. How difficult is the Chandrashila Trek?
Chandrashila Trek in comparison is easy to moderate difficulty with another high altitude trek.
3. How much distance do we have to trek each day?
On an average, we cover roughly 6-7kms between our camping stations.
4. What will happen if a trek is extended?
Beyond our controllable reasons when the trek is extended, then additional charges tend to be applied.
5. Who will be our lead guide person?
Lead guide person is certified & experienced personnel. These guides are locally sourced and have other team members including local guides, cook, helpers and porters.
6. Is this trek safe for girls?
Our treks are planned with a male: female ratio. As an organizer, we make sure that their tents are shared only with other female trekkers.
7. Many people in a tent?
Our tents are all three person tents.
8. What is the level of fitness expected from the trekkers?
Good physical and mental fitness is expected to complete the Trek. Chandrashila Trek is ideal for beginners to familiarize themselves with similar high altitude treks.
9. Typical Food menu during a trek?
We make sure that wholesome and nutritious breakfast, lunch and evening snacks are served. We believe and serve only vegetarian food as it is easy to digest and preferable in high altitudes.
10. What if we encounter a medical emergency?
We are trained to manage emergencies in high altitudes. Our lead guide is professional and experienced. Our team do carry emergency first aid kits and oxygen cylinder.
What is included in the tour
- Transport support as per the itinerary from Dehradun
- Stay in Deoriatal: Stay in tents with common washrooms
- Stay in Chopta: Stay in a guest house with attached washroom on triple sharing
- All meals from evening tea snacks on day 1 to breakfast on day 4
- Forest entry charges
- Professional guide
- First air and relevant safety gears
- All applicable taxes
What is NOT included in the tour
- Transport to reach Dehradun from hometown and return
- Personal expenses like tips, personal medicines, phone calls etc.
- Any transport support during the trek other than those specified in Inclusions
- Accommodation in Dehradun
- Porter/mule charges for personal luggage per bag per person (< 12 kg) - INR 300 per day
- Any cost arising due to unforeseen events like bad weather, roadblocks, medical evacuation, etc.
- 1 Pair of Thermal
- 3 Pair of Socks + 1 Pair of woolen socks
- 2 Pair of Hand Gloves (Water Proof & Fleece material)
- Sun Cap
- Woolen Cap
- Neck Warmer (Scarf/Buff)
- 2 Quick Dry Full Sleeves (T-Shirt)
- 1 Full sleeves Fleece
- 1 Wind Proof Jacket (windcheater/Heavy Jacket)
- 2 Track Pants (No Cotton or Jeans)
- Sun Glass
- Sun scream, Lip balm, Moisturizer.
- Trek Pole
- Trekking Shoes (No Sports shoes or Woodland shoes)
- Poncho (The Gear used to protect from Rain)
- Day pack (Small one)
- Back Pack 60 liter (+ Rain cover)
- 2 Water Bottles
- Toilet Paper & Wet Wipes
- Hand Sanitizer
- Antibacterial Powder
- Tooth Brush
- Quick Dry Towel
Medicines to carry
- Crocin (1Strip)
- Disprine (1 Strip)
- Lomotive (1 Strip)
- Digene (1Strip)
- Band Aid - Qty 5
- Neusphorine Powder
- Betadine Tube
- Vomistop/Avomine (Motion Sickness Tablet)