This fort (1145 metres) is believed to be ancient and almost 2500 years old. This fort has only few ruins and remains on the top. There are two big caves on the top in which one cave is a shrine of Lord Bhairavnath and another cave is used for residence purpose. There are many water tanks on the top. The idol in the cave is very good carved painted and is well maintained by the villagers.
History of Bhairavgad
The Bhairavgad (Shirpunje) Ghanchakkar Trek traces back its history for thousands of years within Maharashtra's Sahyadri mountains. The aged fort's remnants signify both strategic importance and cultural significance. The hill encompasses two enduring caves that narrate tales of ancient devotion and habitation. Embarking on the trek, amidst the lush foliage, offers a seamless blend of nature and history, unveiling glimpses of lives from the past. Notably, contemporary efforts have introduced a rock climbing route, seamlessly bridging antiquity with the present. Adjacent peaks such as Ghanchakkar and Muda provide geographical context. Presently, the trek serves as a portal inviting enthusiasts to uncover its narratives, pay homage at its shrines, and decipher the intriguing mysteries enshrouding its identity.
Bhairavgad (Shirpunje) Fort Trek Details
- Region: Ahmednagar district
- Base Village: Shirpunje
- Bhairavgad trek difficulty level: Medium
- Bhairavgad height: 4035 feet
- Elevation: 1145 meters
- Time required for climbing: 1.30 hours (one way).
- Type: Hill fort
- Conservation Area: Kalsubai-Harishchandragad Wildlife Sanctuary
- Water Sources: Natural Tanks
- Shrine Cave, dedicated to Lord Bhairavnath
- Cost: Rs. 1399/- per person
Receive a trekking E-certificate on completion of the Bhairavgad Trek
Ghanchakkar Bhairavgad Trek Itinerary
Day 0 - Saturday Night
Catch CSMT – Kasara local
Kasara slow local
- 09:32 pm - CSMT
- 09:40 pm - Byculla
- 09:50 pm - Dadar
- 10:00 pm - Kurla
- 10:06 pm - Ghatkopar
- 10:27 pm - Thane
- 10:51 pm - Dombivli
- 11:03 pm - Kalyan
- 12:13 am - Kasara
- Board Indrayani Express train from Pune at 06:35 pm
- Reach Kalyan 08:50 pm (have dinner before you board the local train)
- Board above local train till Kasara
12:30 am - Meet Trek Leader at Kasara Railway Station.
12:45 pm - Move towards the base village in by private local vehicle.
05:00 am - Reach at base village - Shirpunje.
Freshen up and Breakfast.
06:00 am - Start ascending.
07:30 am - Reach at the top and explore. Visit temple and Ghanchakkar ladders.
We will climb the ladder only and reach Ghanchakkar and descend soon we will not head further
09:30 am - Start descending.
11:00 am - Reach at base village.
11:30 am - Lunch.
12:30 pm - Start return journey towards Kasara station.
04:30 pm - Reach at Kasara station and disperse.
- People may board same train from their respective stations of convenience.
- Missing the train is missing Bhairavgad (Shirpunje) Trek, no refund will be provided.
What is included in the tour
- Kasara to Kasara travel by private local jeep
- 1 veg breakfast and 1 veg lunch
- Trek leader expertise charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Entry fee for foreign nationals
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered.
- Any kind of personal expenses.
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost included above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, and bad weather.
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required.
- 2/3 liters of water.
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on the trek
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars.
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets.
- Good Torch must with an extra battery.
- One Day Backpack 20 to 30 liters.
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen.
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine.
- Identity Proof.
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect you from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles.
- 75% refund if notified via phone conversation 8 or more days prior to the event date.
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 4 to 7 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days prior to the event date
- No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
- If Trek gets canceled we will refund "Trek Amount" only.
- If the event is canceled due to any natural calamity, political unrest or other such reasons beyond our control the same cancellation policy will apply.
Treks and Trails Event Rules
- Kindly carry one Identity proof, at least for the trek with your address.
- We all are going for an adventurous and exciting trekking expedition; please Do Not misinterpret it as a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR.
- The leader's decision will be final, and all the members should abide by it.
- We do not destroy or dirty the archaeological, historical monuments, or natural habitats on the trek.
- Swimming is not allowed in the lake or water tank on the forts. Locals use that water for drinking.
- Putting your feet in water tanks or on the canon is not allowed on our treks.
- Any addiction is strictly prohibited, e.g. drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco anyone caught doing it will have to exit the trek without a refund and travel back at their own expense.
- People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit the event on an immediate basis.
- Please do not carry or wear any valuables, ornaments, jewelry, etc. If carried, then we Do Not take any liability for the same.
- Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking, or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events, you are at your own risk. Organizers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner.
- We should strictly follow the code of conduct to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or outside.
- Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speakers is not allowed while trekking.
- Bluetooth speakers are not allowed inside the homestay or camping tents.
- Drinking/smoking,/eating is not allowed inside the tents.
- If you damage the tent or break the tent poles, you will have to pay us for the whole new tent on MRP.
- If you are late for the bus pickup and are not reachable on the phone during your bus pickup, the trek leader will leave without you, and we will provide no refund.
- Please check things to carry and wear trekking shoes on our treks.
Are you an adventurer who loves trekking? Completing a trek can be a life-changing experience that leaves you with unforgettable memories. To commemorate your achievement, Treks and Trails provides e-certificates to all participants who successfully complete their trek. These e-certificates include your name, the name of the trek you completed, the date of completion, and a digital signature from Treks and Trails. They are a perfect way to showcase your accomplishment to the world and share your trekking journey with your loved ones. By receiving an e-certificate from Treks and Trails, you can proudly display your achievement on your social media platforms and inspire others to embark on their own adventures. We offer the best trekking near Mumbai options.
Here are some FAQs about our e-certificates:
Q: What is an e-certificate for trekkers and hikers?
A: An e-certificate is a digital certificate awarded to participants upon completion of a trek or hike. It serves as proof of participation and achievement.
Q: How do I receive an e-certificate from Treks and Trails?
A: Upon completion of your trek or hike with Treks and Trails, you will be sent an email with a link to your e-certificate. You can download it from the link and save it on your device or share it on social media platforms.
Q: Can I share my e-certificate on social media platforms?
A: Yes, you can share your e-certificate on all social media platforms. The e-certificate is designed to be easily shareable, so you can show off your achievement to your friends and family.
Eligibility Criteria for a Trekking Certificate:
To be eligible for a trekking certificate, individuals must demonstrate adherence to safety rules, teamwork, and cooperation.
Participants must achieve the following requirements for earning a trekking certificate: completion of the trek; physical fitness; teamwork and cooperation; knowledge of safety rules; environmental awareness; a positive attitude; great attendance; and punctuality. We appreciate their commitment to the sport of trekking and acknowledge their achievements.
Is the Bhairavgad Trek suitable for beginners?
Yes, the Bhairavgad Trek is suitable for beginners. While the trail poses a moderate level of difficulty, individuals with basic fitness levels and a willingness to overcome challenges can enjoy this trek.
What's the difficulty level of the trek?
The Bhairavgad (Shirpunje) Ghanchakkar Trek offers a medium-level challenge. While it's not overly strenuous, a moderate level of fitness is recommended to enjoy the journey comfortably. It's suitable for individuals with average physical activity levels and a desire to embrace both the natural beauty and historical elements of the trek.
Are there any accommodation options near Bhairavgad?
While there might not be luxurious accommodation options at the fort or its immediate vicinity, there are camping opportunities available for trekkers who wish to spend a night. Many trekkers opt for camping at designated sites on the fort, enjoying the beauty of the night sky
Are there any guides available for the trek?
Yes, local guides and trekking groups often offer their services for the Bhairavgad Ghanchakkar Trek. Hiring a guide can be advantageous, especially if you're unfamiliar with the terrain or the route. Experienced guides are well-versed in the trail, ensuring your safety and helping you make the most of the trek by sharing historical and natural insights.
What are the attractions near Bhairavgad?
Besides the trekking adventure itself, the Bhairavgad Ghanchakkar region offers additional attractions. Nearby, you can explore other historic forts and temples, such as Koldher Fort and Bahiri Cave Temple. These sites are rich in history and provide opportunities for further exploration. The surrounding landscape also offers stunning viewpoints, making it a paradise for photographers and nature enthusiasts. Engaging with the local culture, interacting with villagers, and experiencing their lifestyle can add a unique dimension to your trip.
What's the significance of the caves on the hill?
The caves on the hill hold historical and spiritual significance. One cave is dedicated to Lord Bhairavnath, offering a space for worship and reflection. The other cave once served as a living space, providing a glimpse into the lives of those who inhabited the fort in the past. These caves contribute to the layered narrative of the trek, showcasing its cultural and historical depth.
Can I do rock climbing on this trek?
Absolutely! An exciting addition to the trek is the rock climbing route that has been established. This initiative brings an adventurous element to the journey, allowing you to engage with the terrain in a unique way and add an extra layer of thrill to your trekking experience.
What should I carry for the Bhairavgad Trek?
Carrying essentials is key for a comfortable trek. Items like sturdy walking shoes, sufficient water, energy-boosting snacks, a basic first aid kit, and weather-appropriate clothing are recommended.
In case your question is not listed above, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Whatsapp 8828004949 ( Monday to Saturday, 11.30 am to 7.00 pm only )