Forts of Mumbai

Forts of Mumbai

Forts in Mumbai

Forts in Mumbai are also known as Killa. They helped Portuguese, Maratha, British built and defend Mumbai and make it a thriving trade centre in Maharashtra. Sadly most of them have been overlooked by the authorities and some even trespassed by the booming population. Even today most of the forts are on the must-see list of Mumbaikars, Tourist, Historians. Some are still operational and converted into Jails, Water Reservoir, Warehouse. We have listed all the Forts in Mumbai and around Mumbai.

Bombay Castle

Bombay Castle, also known as Casa da Orta is one of the oldest structures in the history of Mumbai, which was earlier known as Bombay. The Castle was built by a Portuguese nobleman Garcia de Orta at the site of Manor House. This Castle is known as the oldest surviving structures of Mumbai built-in 1554. Bombay castle is easily accessible. The second Governor, Gerald Angier, used to stay in the main building of Bombay Castle. It is also known as General House. Parel and Malabar hill were the following places where the Governor's residence was moved within the next two centuries.

Bombay Castle was built with red laterite rock from the Konkan and Blue Kurla Stone. There are few remains of the Portuguese influence in the Castle a Sundial dating back to the era is present. It marks out significant periods the Castle witnessed rather than showing time. British East India Company took over the Manor House in 1668. The present building is the office of INS Angre.

Castella de Aguada - Bandra Fort

The name itself "Castella de Aguada" explains everything. The word "Castella" is actually "Castelo" in Portuguese, which means Castle and the word "Aguada" means the origin of fresh water available in the form of a fountain for the sailors of Portuguese. Castella de Aguada is known as Bandra fort in ordinary, which was earlier known as Forte de Bandorá by the Portuguese. Castle was built to keep a watch on Mahim bay, the southern island of Mahim, and the Arabian sea, which was built in 1640 by the Portuguese. The Land's ending region is the exact location of this fort. The fort is about 79 feet above sea level and is also featured in Bollywood films.

Presently Mumbaikars visit the fort to enjoy the views of Bandra Worli sea link bridge and relax. It is popular with romantic couples they can be spotted among the rocks near the seaside. The fort has been covered in many Bollywood movies. It can be visited between 6 am to 6.30 pm there is no entry fee located in Bandra West.

Castella de Aguada

Dongiri Fort

Forts of Mumbai, Dongiri hill fort or Dongiri Fort are the same and named after their location as they are located in the Dongiri area. In 1739 fort came under Maratha rule, and since then, the locals are taking care of the maintenance of the fort. The feast of our lady Fatima is celebrated in October at the fort by the locals. A good get together celebration takes place every year on the same day, people from remote villages come to offer their prayers. The fantastic 360-degree view is offered from the fort, Arabian sea at the West, the Vasai Fort at the North, the Borivali National Park at the East, and the Essel World and the Water Kingdom at the South. You can visit the fort at this address Dongri, Uttan, Mira Bhayandar, Maharashtra.

dongri-fort

Fort George, Bombay

The Fort George built-in 1769, which was an extension to fortified walls of Bombay, which is now known as Mumbai. Dongri Fort site was towards the East from this fort. This fort was built on the hill where Dongri fort was razed. Fort George was later razed in 1862. Fort George Bombay was called in recognition of George III of England. The fort is 1.6 km long and somewhat half a kilometre wide. Remains of the fortress wall can be seen near St. George Hospital

Fort-George

Riwa Fort - Forts of Mumbai

Riwa Fort is one of the forts in Mumbai called Kala Killa, on the banks of river Mithi. Black fort, which in Hindi means Kala Qilla are the local names of Riwa Fort. The old Riwa fort is not under proper maintenance. It is also surrounded by Dharavi Slums, so it is also known as Dharavi Fort. Governor, Gerald Angier was the one who built the fort in the 17th century. Riwa Fort comes beneath the Maharashtra Directorate of Archaeology and Museums. The fort employed as a lookout, defending the region against the Portuguese and later Marathas in the Salsette Island.

Riwa-Fort

Madh Fort - Versova Fort

Madh Fort is quite a famous fort established in Madh island. The fort was built by Portuguese, which they lost against Maratha Empire in February 1739. The Arabian sea and Malad creek are the neighbouring spots of the fort towards West and East, respectively. There are few beaches like Aksa Beach, Erangel Beach, Silver Beach and Dana Pani Beach nearby.

The fort is about 15 km away from Malad, which seems complicated to approach the fort. There are public transport to the fort BEST bus numbered 271 from Malad and 269 from Borivali. Madh Island is also connected from Versova jetty you can board the ferry service or speed board. It is not open for the public; it is under the Indian Air Force's surveillance, which is located near an Indian Air Force base camp. The fort was considered as a watchtower back in the 17th century, which was established by Portuguese. Madh fort visit would require permission that needs to be taken from the Indian Air Force. Famous Bollywood movies and serials have shot some great scenes at this fort. Koli's, Marathi's, Roman Catholics, East Indians are the communities staying in the area.

Madh-fort

Mazagaon Fort

Mazagaon, Bombay was the place where the British fort, Mazagaon fort, was built in 1680. This fort was established in the 17th century around 1680. Today the fort is located at the Joseph Baptista Gardens outside the Dockyard Road railway station atop Bhandarwada Hill. In the early 18th century, most of the islands were ceded by Portuguese to British as dowry. The British built several fortifications on the fort to stay secured from the attacks on the fort. British appealed to Mughals to reign in Sakat for a price, and the deal was closed at 1.5 lakhs, which was about more than a billion USD according to 2008 conversion rates.

The British converted the Bhandarwada hill into significant water storage. To the present date, it supplies water for Central Mumbai and South Mumbai. Joseph Baptista gardens a popular recreation park is built on top of the Bhandarwada Hill, It offers excellent views of South Mumbai. Joseph Baptista was a freedom fighter in the Indian Freedom Movement.

Mazagaon Fort

Sion Fort - Sion Hillock Fort

The Sion fort or Sion Hillock fort is about 500 meters away from Sion railway station built under the British East India Company's regime between 1669 to 1677. Sion fort was considered as the border between the British held Parel island, and the Portuguese held Salsette Island. The Archaeological Survey of India is present at the base of the fort. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru Udyaan is also located at the base of the hill. The hillock offers a good Panoramic view from the top. This fort was Graded as Grade 1 heritage structures at that time.

Sion-Fort

Worli Fort - Forts of Mumbai

Worli Fort is built on Worli Hill, Mumbai. Worli Fort was also used to look out for army ships and pirates. No significant history of these places is mentioned except the misconception of who built the fort, which was built by the British and not the Portuguese in 1675.

Sewri Fort - Forts of Mumbai

Sewri fort commonly known in Marathi as "REVDI killa." Sewri fort is also spelled as "Saweree" Fort. Sewri Fort established on the isle of Parel. It was built and completed by the British in the year 1680. In the early 18th century, Bombay consisted of several islands. Many forts were ceded by Portuguese to British. As the dowry of Catherine of Braganza when she married Charles II of England. Sewri Fort stands on a hill commanding the eastern seaboard and shore. The fortress remained later in use for inmates, which is presently transformed into Bombay Port trust warehouse. This fort served as a watchtower for the British.

 

Forts near Mumbai

Zara hat ke, Zara Bach ke yeh h Mumbai Meri Jaan are the lyrics which all Mumbaikars sing in chorus and feel proud to be a Mumbaikar as obviously the City of Dreams is in our hearts. We altogether are the breath of it. Mumbai is a fantastic place to explore and enjoy the variety of tourist destinations available for the tourist to view and know more about the old Bombay and new Mumbai. Except for the beautiful beaches in Mumbai, we also have our Forts in Mumbai, spice of history, and some fantastic structures.

Karnala Fort

Karnala Fort is a famous beginner grade level trek mainly visited in monsoon, which approached the doors of Karnala Bird Sanctuary. Karnala Fort, which is about 14 km away from Panvel Railway station known as Funnel Hill Fort, is located in Raigad district, Maharashtra. Karnala Fort with strategic importance as it was a watchtower on the main trade route in interiors of Maharashtra Specifically Deccan Plateau.

The Fort has an equally important and fascinating history. It was established before 1400 and had great importance as the capital of north Konkan districts of their respective empires was Karnala. The Fort was then under the command Portuguese, The Marathas, and finally under British East India Company in 1818. Several tourists frequently access this place for trekking as it paves some adorable serene from the top.

Arnala Fort

Arnala Fort built on a small island, which was about 8 to 10 miles away from the Virar region. The Fort built on an island; therefore, it had different names known as Jaldurg or Janjire-Arnala. After the Fort was under Portuguese rule, they named the island as Ilha das Vacas and started their operations on the Fort. Around the year 1530, the Portuguese gained control over the island from the Sultan of Gujarat. After they gained full control on the island, they started rebuilding the Fort for their shipping and navigation along the Konkan region. This work never completed. Many battles fought for the island and the Fort for its strategic location. Which was finally won by the Marathas in 1817, and at present, the Fort in Disrepair? Southern watchtower, octangle water reservoir, and temples are some of the unique attractions of this Fort.

Belapur Fort

Belapur Fort located in Belapur. Situated in Navi Mumbai or New Bombay. It is like a hillock situated near the mouth of Panvel Creek. The Siddis were the ones who established the Fort. Which was later captured by the Portuguese in 1682 and then the Marathas in 1733. The British East India Company came into power of this Fort in the early 19th century, which was about 1817. The Fort is not well maintained and is an appalling condition at present.

Vasai Fort

Vasai fort or Fort Bassein located in Vasai Palghar district, Maharashtra. The south Mumbai area in Marathi is known as Vasai, where Fort Bassein established. Fort Baçaim was also a name given to the Fort by the Portuguese. Vasai Fort recognized as a nationally famous monument maintained under the Archaeological Survey of India. The Fort has a remarkable history divided into four main parts which are Pre-Portuguese Era, Portuguese Era, Maratha Era, and British Era. Two relevant Bassein treaty was in 1534 and second was in 1802. Tourists mainly visit this Fort for its history and the amount of coverage of the Fort and its beauty.

Ghodbunder Fort

The name Ghodbunder has a history behind its name. the Portuguese used to trade Horses at this place where Horses are known as "Ghode" in Hindi. Therefore, the trade of Horses and "Bunder" means Port, hence Ghodbunder. The nearest village where the Fort is situated is Ghodbunder Village, which is to the south of Ulhas river. This Fort was built by Portuguese and named the Fort as Cacabe de Tanna. The Fort was then captured by the Maratha in 1737. Ghodbunder fort later was under the British East India company in 1818, and the Fort used as the headquarters of the district administration of the company.

Khanderi Fort

Khanderi Fort is situated in the southern part of Mumbai and this fort is on Khanderi Island which was earlier known named as Kanhoji Angre island. This fort was established under the reign of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in 1679 to keep a watch on the opponents. Underi fort which is sister fort of Khanderi fort form major fortification along the coast of Maharashtra. Tourists would be able to view wells and the Shri Betal temple on the fort. The island consists of two hills both facing north and south respectively. The fort was under Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj which was then conquered by the Siddis and the British East India company. The fort is now known as the “Octagonal lighthouse” as a tourist destination which is under the Indian Ministry of Tourism and Ministry of Shipping.

Underi Fort

Island Underi which is located in the southern part of Mumbai Harbour south of Prong’s lighthouse. The sister fort Khanderi and Underi lies in the Raigad district of Maharashtra. Underi which is also known as Jaidurg is a fortified island which was built by the Siddis. The place is an important landmark to enter ships at Mumbai Harbour.

Thane fort

Thane Fort which is now Thane Central Jail, also known as “Thane killa” or “Hirkot”. Portuguese were the ones who built Thane fort around 1730 where thane was under the Portuguese rule for over 200 years. The span of 200 years was from 1530 to 1739. The fort was then captured by Marathas after Portuguese. The fort is now used as Thane Central Jail in Thane, Maharashtra.

Durgadi Fort Kalyan

The fort Durgadi is located in Kalyan which is spread about 220feet. The fort was set into making under Shah Jahan’s reign which was completed by Aurangzeb in 1694. A small wooden temple was built by the Marathas behind the mosque of goddess Durga Devi with which the fort was then named Durgadi fort.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Upcoming tours