Maharashtra is blessed with 720 kms long coastline. Shared with Konkan, Thane, and Ratnagiri also Sindhudurg districts. Many marine creatures come visit. However, the exact count and type are unknown. As from what is believed there is not a detailed study available. In the year 2000-01, it was found that a species of turtle, Olive Ridley is a prominent visitor to the shores of Maharashtra for breeding purposes. Other species are the Green Turtle, Hawksbill and the Leatherback. A lot of the other information is already available online, like what does turtles eat, how a turtle looks like. The difference between a turtle, tortoise and a terrapin.
Why Velas Turtle Festival?
Velas is a small fishing village on the western coast of Maharashtra. About 220 kms away from Mumbai, a little over a hundred houses on the coast of the Arabian Sea. It is that time of the year again - when a tiny grey head pokes out of the golden sand and takes a breath of the fresh salty air of the Arabian Sea. It is a culmination of a lengthy process, which started when, under the cover of darkness, it’s mother emerged out from the rolling waves to lay her heap of 100-120 eggs on the sandy beach. Oblivious to the world that awaits it outside it’s sandy cocoon, the tiny hatchling is soon followed by a hundred others, all crawling their way towards the brightest lights of the horizon- in this case, the sea. TreksandTrails, India invites you to this journey from the nest to the sea which draws oohs and aahs from tourists - each of whom is gathered on the shore to witness this miracle of Nature. The location is Velas, a remote village in Mandangad taluka in Ratnagiri district approx. a 6-hour drive from Pune.
- Travelling by A/C Bus
- Hatchling sighting is not guaranteed.
- Maximum batch size is 30 travellers on first come first basis.
- Pick up and Drop at centralized locations only.
- Travelling by A/C Bus
- Event Type: Tour
- Food Arrangement: Homestay with Veg food already arranged
- Transport: Travel by same private vehicle for the entire tour
- Height of Bankot fort: 500 ft.
- Base Village: Velas
- Taluka: Mandangad
- District: Ratnagiri
- Region: Konkan
- Route from Pune: Pune – Banner – Khopoli - Velas
- Distance from Pune: 195 km approx.
- Total time required for climbing Bankot Fort: None
- Total distance for climbing: None
- Parking available: yes
Day 0: Friday Night
22:00 Meeting at State Bank of Maharashtra, Shivajinagar branch (Travelling by A/C Bus).
22:15 Departure from State Bank of Maharashtra, Shivajinagar.
22:30 Pickup at McDonald’s, Deccan.
23:00 Pickup at Chandani chowk.
Day: 1 Saturday
05:00 Early morning arrival at Velas Village.
06:00 Visit to Velas Beach for Turtle sighting.
10:30 Visit to Bankot fort.
13:00 Lunch & Rest.
17:00 Visit to beach for turtle sightings.
20:00 Dinner and rest.
Day 2 - Sunday
06:00 Visit to Velas beach for turtle sighting.
10:30 Depart for Harihareshwar temple from Velas village.
14:30 Departure for Pune from Harihareshwar temple.
23:00 Approx. arrival at Shivajinagar – Pune.
What is included in the tour
- Travel by AC Bus
- Accommodation in a typical Konkani homestay - Dormitory.
- Saturday: 1 veg breakfast, 1 Veg Lunch, 1 Veg Dinner
- Sunday: 1 Veg breakfast, 1 Veg Lunch
- Sightseeing as per the schedule
- Expertise, guide charges and TreksandTrails, India administration charges if any.
- Ferryboat charges. All entry tickets and permissions. Provision of primary first aid only.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Non-Veg Food, Camera or photography charges if any.
- Dinner on Friday Night and Sunday not included.
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered.
- Any kind of personal expenses.
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required.
- 2/3 liters of water
- Good Torch must with extra batteries
- Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek. (preferably Action trekking shoes)
- Proper haversack to put all these things
- Extra pair of cloths, towel
- Sun Cap and Sunscreen
- Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars
- Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets
- Personal First aid and Personal Medicine
- Identity Proof
- Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles.