Kothaligad Fort Height - 3100 feet
Peth Killa Type - Hill forts
Kothaligad Fort Range - Karjat
District Peth Fort - Raigad
Kothaligad Trek Difficulty Medium Grade
Trek Duration - One Day
Best time to visit Kothaligad
Best time to visit Kothaligad is during pre-monsoon as the trail is glowing with fireflies. During the rainy season the trail is usually covered with trickling water. The merging of clouds and waterfalls along the plateau walls is the best in this season. During the monsoons, the pinnacle is usually enwrapped in clouds and you might have to wait for gaps for the fog to clear, to be able to look at the countryside. An early kickoff is advisable for viewing and photographing the surrounding landscapes.
Fascinating things to see Kothligad Fort
There are a series of caves, a small temple and a rain water cistern at the base of the fort. The last cave is the specious Bhairoba cave. A flat floor and well-sculpted pillars are specialty of the cave. Along the Bhairoba cave, steps are carved leading the pinnacle. The cave and the temple carvings date back to the 13th century.
Killa Kothaligad Event Itinerary
The distance from Ambivilli is 5.7 km ascent to Kothaligad fort which takes about 3 - 4 hours. The 4.3 km road to Peth village is an easy climb and takes less than 2 hours to complete. From Peth village it is a steep 1.5 km / 1 hour climb to the base of Kothaligad fort. One gains 180 meter of vertical elevation in this 1.5 kilometer climb. The stretch drifts through dense bushes and trees as it follows a water pipe that links Peth village to Kothaligad fort. From the base of the fort a series of 87 steps carved inside the funnel brings you to the top of the pinnacle.
Kothaligad Trek - Peth Monsoon Trek Itinerary
Catch Karjat slow local from CSMT.
CSMT – Karjat slow local time table.
05:20 Mumbai CSMT
07:40 Meet at Karjat railway station, near ticket counter.
07:45 Move to Base Village by Tumtum / ST bus.
08:45 Reach at Ambivali and Breakfast.
09:15 Start ascending.
12:15 Reach on top and explore.
15:30 Reach at Ambivali and Lunch.
16:45 Journey towards Karjat railway station by Tumtum / ST bus.
18:00 Reach at Karjat railway station.
People may board same train from their respective stations of convenience.
Missing the train is missing Kothaligad (Peth) Monsoon Trek, no refund will be provided.
1 veg Breakfast and 1 veg Lunch.
Travel Karjat to Karjat by local Jeep.
Trek Leader Expertise Charges.
Travel cost from Mumbai to Karjat and back.
Travel from Pune to Karjat and back.
Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered.
Any kind of personal expenses.
Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.
Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required.
How to Register
Join us this weekend as we explore the ancient fort of Maharashtra and Bhairoba caves. Kothligad is a pleasant option for one day trek near Mumbai
June 2018 - Kothaligad Trek
17th June 2018
24th June 2018
July 2018 - Kothaligad Trek
1st July 2018
8th July 2018
15th July 2018
22nd July 2018
29th July 2018
August 2018 - Kothaligad Trek
5th August 2018
12th August 2018
19th August 2018
- 26th August 2018
For Registration and confirmation transfer Rs. 900.00 per person in the given a/c
Account Name - Treks and Trails
Bank Name - Axis Bank
Account Number - 917020047534079
Branch: Churchgate – Mumbai
IfSC Code - UTIB0000695
Account Type - Current Account
UPI using BHIM app - 9619095743@axisbank
Once payment is done, please send an email to
with Transaction ID, Participant Names, email ID, Whatsapp mobile number, emergency contact number.
Please Call or email for any clarification:
- Treks and Trails Mumbai mobile / Whatsapp - 8828746865 / 8828004949 / 9867046166
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 3 days prior to the event date.
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days. No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation.
Kothaligad Brief History
Kothaligad is a small Fort approx 3100 feet high, situated to the east of Karjat in Shahapur Taluka. It is one of the famous treks in the Karjat area around Mumbai, because of its small height and comfortable climbing. It is also known as the Fort of Peth because of its vicinity to Peth village at its base and as Kothaligad because of the internally excavated stairs at the fort top. This fort is very small in size but was used as an ammunition storage and defence station during Sambhaji Maharajs era. The locals say that this is not actually a fort but a sort of lighthouse from where the directions were given to know the advancements of the enemy. In fact, it can be called a watch tower or outpost for vigilance on the maval area in the greater province of the Maratha.
How to Reach Kothaligad from Mumbai
- Board State Transport bus for Ambivali via Kashele from Karjat Railway station on Central Railway or from Mumbai- Pune route.
- The distance from Karjat to Ambivali is about 30 Kms.
- A road leads to Base village Peth from Ambivali.
Alternate Route for Killa Kothaligad
- Alight at Neral Railway Station on Central Railway Line.
- Hire six Seater rickshaw till Kashele from Neral
- Board State Transport Bus for Ambivali from Kashele
- Ambivali to Peth – 2 hours
- Peth village to top of the fort – 1 hour
- Rickshaws are easily available both ways up to 6pm
Alternate Route for Peth Fort
- Reach Karjat station and take a ST Bus going to Jamrukh and alight at Ambivili.
- Frequency of ST buses is less hence going via Neral is recommended.
- Last ST bus from Ambivili to Karjat is around 5:30pm.
Peth Fort Trek from Pune Route
- Reach Karjat Railway Station by morning train. Sinhagad express which boards from pune station at 6 am you will reach Karjat by 8:15 am
- From Karjat you will get bus for Ambivili around 8:30am.
- Trek starts at Ambivili till base village Peth
- If you miss bus at 8:30 am next bus is at 9:45 am which will leave you at Kashele, from where you will have to take local private transport to reach Ambivili.
- Local transport charges are fair for 8 people group.
- While returning you will get bus at Amibivili at 5:30pm, which will leave you at Karjat by 6:30pm.
- From Karjat you will get Deccan Queen express at 6:45pm which is fast and will take you to Pune by 8:15pm.
- If you miss Deccan Queen express then another nest train is Sahyadri express at 7:45pm which will leave you Pune at 10:00pm.
Treks and Trails India a trekking group in Mumbai regularly takes groups to Peth Fort you can always join us for Trek around Mumbai please subscribe to our email newsletter or visit our Events section for updates on upcoming Events.
Treks and Trails Event Rules
- Smoking and drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- Trek leader’s decision will be final and binding.
- TreksandTrails reserves all the right to change/deviate/cancel the plans without prior notice.
- Telephonic confirmation is mandatory, if unable to contact us, please send us a text message.
- Sleeveless, low neck, figure hugging shirts/tops, short pants, hot pants not allowed.
- Please do not carry handbags or jolas or sling bags.
Disclosures on medical conditions and Event Risk Profile
It is mandatory that you visit your personal physician before enrolling for the trip if you suffer from any illness of any kind and disclose the same and your medical history to the organizers of the trip so that best possible arrangements can be carried out post approval. As organizers of the trip, we will be responsible for providing basic first aid throughout the trip. In case of unexpected mishaps or accidents, we will arrange for the injured patron to be taken to the nearest medical hospital wherever possible. The medical expenses will have to be borne by the patrons themselves. The cost mentioned above is for Indian citizens ONLY payable in Indian Rupees.
We recommend you to please take care while walking / climbing / trekking. Wearing of any valuables, ornaments, jewellery etc. is prohibited. Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events, you are at your own risk. Organizers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner. We should strictly follow the code of conduct, to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or outside. Do not misinterpret it as a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR. We all are going for an adventurous and interesting trekking expedition. Note, this trek route does not have any fixed/proper/appropriate washrooms or bathrooms.
Thing to carry on your next trek
2/3 liters of water.
Some Dry fruits / Dry Snacks / Energy Bars.
Glucon D / ORS / Tang / Gatorade sachets.
Good Torch must with extra battery.
Trekking Shoes provide more grip and comfort on trek.
One Day Backpack 20 to 30 liters.
Rains are expected, so pack your bags accordingly to save them from getting wet.
Double pack your valuables / phones in plastic bags.
Rainwear / Poncho / Waterproof jacket etc. if you don’t want to get wet.
Sun Cap and Sunscreen.
Personal First aid and Personal Medicine.
Please wear Full sleeves and Full Track Pant this will protect from Summer Sun / Thorns / Insects / Prickles.
Frequently Asked Questions - Kothaligad Trek
1. Can we drive till Ambivali?
2. Distance from Mumbai to Ambivali?
Two and half hour’s drive from Mumbai 90 km approx
3. Distance from Pune to Ambivali?
Three hours drive from Pune - 135 km approx
4. Number of days required for this event?
5. Is there food available on Kothaligad - Peth Village?
- Food available at base village - During day
6. How much time required climbing Kothaligad Peth ?
7. Where can we park our cars?
- Base Village at your own risk
8. Is there any parking charge?
9. Are Toilet Available on Kothaligad (Peth)?
- Not available. During the trek toilets are not available
- Provision for toilet tents will be made at Villagers House - eastern style commode
10. Do single traveller’s female sign up for these events?
- We have 60 - 40 % or more Male - Female ratios on our events.
- Many Single Travelling Female join our events
11. Are Kids allowed on treks?
- Kids below 16 with Parents supervision only
12. What type of food will be provided?
- Only Veg local home cooked food is available
13. Phone Connectivity?
- Limited phone connectivity available for most cellular service
15. Is cash payment or spot payment accepted?
- Cash payment is not accepted.
- Registration against 100% upfront payment only via Paytm / UPI / NEFT / IMPS / Payment Gateway.
- On the spot payment not accepted.
- We need to book in advance bus / jeep and make other arrangements upfront payment is must.
16. Will I get bottled water?
- Normal well water shall be provided
- Please carry reusable water bottles
17. Can I charge my phone?
- No electricity. Please carry a power bank if required
18. How is the weather now?
- Summer Temperature Night 20 C - Day 39°C approx.
- Monsoon it rains very heavily please double pack your expensive phones and gadgets
19. Can we smoke or drink alcohol?
- NO. People caught smoking or drinking alcohol will be asked to exit event on immediate basis.
20. Can we listen to music on Bluetooth speaker?
- Listening to music on earphones or Bluetooth speaker is not allowed while trekking, Bluetooth speaker not allowed inside homestay
21. How do I make payment?
- You can pay online on our website in how to register tabs.
Incase your question is not listed above you can email