Treks and Trails India recommends Trek to Lohagad Fort
This is a multi access fort. You can drive till the base village or walk. One can also do a night trek to Lohagad, as in the name of development roads are now built from Lonavala railway station till the base village. One day trek to Lohagad fort is now become a common hunting ground. Every monsoon thousands flock to Lohagad for a one day picnic. As Trek to Lohagad fort near Lonavala is easily accessible from Pune and Mumbai. Under heavy monsoon rain the plateau on the fort becomes misty and its cold. Lush green carpet and small wild flowers along the route welcome you. It’s a simple and easy trek for all age groups. Beware of monkeys too.
Lohagad fort – means "Iron fort" in Marathi and is situated in Lonavala region It divides the basins of the Indrayani and Pavna and is situated on a side range of the Sahyadris. The Visapur fort is located on its eastern side. The four large gates of Lohagad are still in good condition. Historians tell in the later Peshwa period, Nana Phadnavis (1742-1800 AD) built several structures in the fort such as a big tank and a step-well (bawali). On the west side, there is a long and narrow wall-like fortified spur called Vinchu kata (scorpion's tail) due to its shape. If one has to explore the fort along with the trek till Vinchukata and view the Mumbai Pune Expressway then 2 hours is a good time.
Lohagad fort history over a long period of time confirms that several dynasties have been here such as Satavahanas, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Yadavas, Bahamanis, Nizamshahis, Mughals and Marathas. Shivaji Raje captured it in 1648 CE, but he was forced to surrender it to the Mughals in 1665 CE by the Treaty of Purandar. Shivaji Raje recaptured the fort in 1670 CE. This vast fort has been a superb creation of its time. I still feel it displays an architectural wonder.
The above is the entrance to the fort and most of its still is intact. Which is marvellous and astonishing. Later in Peshwa time Nana Phadanwis has also lived here for some time. The fort has been declared as a protected monument by Archaeology Survey of India.
Upcoming Events This Week
Treks and Trails Mumbai - 8828746865 / 8828004949 / 9764461419 / 9867046166
Camping Event or Home Stay
1. Prabalmachi Camping - Learn More - https://goo.gl/gjmCVD- Rs 1200.00 per person
2. Rajmachi Fort & Kondhane Caves Overnight Trek - Learn More - https://goo.gl/ErjCgh - Rs 1600.00 per person. ( Homestay )
One Day Trek - Easy Treks
1. Karnala Trek - Learn More - https://goo.gl/1LFDAr - Rs 800 per person
2. Karnala Trek - Learn More - https://goo.gl/1LFDAr - Rs 800 per person
3. Lohagad Fort Trek - Learn More - https://goo.gl/kteP6R - Rs 800.00 per person
4. Visapur Trek - Learn More - https://goo.gl/dtTsPd - Rs 800.00 per person
5. Kothaligad (Peth) Trek - Learn More - https://goo.gl/qcRrJT - Rs 900.00 per person
6. Tikona Fort Trek - Learn More - https://goo.gl/n7Ji18 - Rs 1000.00 per person
One Night One Day Treks - Medium Grade
2. Naneghat Trek - Learn More - https://goo.gl/QDzLBc - Rs 1200.00 per person.
3. Korigad Trek - Learn More - https://goo.gl/CdE2tx - Rs 1300.00 per person.
4. Andharban Trek from Mumbai - Learn More - https://goo.gl/7CUfPs - Rs 1300.00 per person.
5. Kalsubai Trek - Learn More - https://goo.gl/gi99q2- Rs 1300.00 per person.
1. Andharban Trek from Pune - Learn More - https://goo.gl/doiJwd - Rs 1200.00 per person.
2. Kalsubai Trek from Pune - Learn More - https://goo.gl/Kv2693 - Rs 1300.00 per person.
Approach to Lohagad Fort
- Reach Lonavala Railway Station from Mumbai
- Take the Pune bound train halting at Lonavala
- Then change trains to local shuttle train between Lonavala and Pune.
- Reach Malavali Station (next railway station after Lonavala – towards Pune)
- Trekkers from Pune can also come by local shuttle train between Lonalavala and Pune.
- Get off at Malavali railway station.
- Alternately one can also drive using the expressway and get off at Malavi exit.
- Cross the railway crossing over to east side. Private vehicle can drive right up till the base village.
Places of Interest - Lohagad Killa
At we start to enter the fort we come across four successive entrances Ganesh Darwaja, Narayan Darwaja, Hanuman Darwaja, Maha Darwaja is an another superb creation is the Maha Darwaja, with a strong fortification and soild wall structure. Must have stood a great deal of resistance from both sides. One army try to defend the fort and the other trying to enter in the fort.
On the for one can also see an old Dargah. Sometimes the one can sneak a peak and pay respect. However in the references that I have checked – was unable to validate the tomb beloges to whom.
See photo below:
As we wonder on the fort we can see a number of water tank, it is said that in one such water there is spring of fresh water. Also one can find a few scattered cannons.
Local guides mention of a majid – now in ruins. A Mahadev temple is also there on this fort.
Lohagad Fort Information
Lohagad Height: 3450 feet.
Distance from Pune to Lohagad base: 65 km approx. Driving time in 90 mins
Distance from Mumbai to Lohagad base: 105km approx. Driving time 2hr 30mins approx.
Water availability: Portable available at the base village.
Combined Trek option: YES
Suggested option: Bhaje caves ~ Karle caves ~Lohagad ~ Visapur ~ Bedse Caves.
Best time to Trek: June to February
Food availability: Place an order with the local villager and return to enjoy the delicacy.
Base Village: Lohagadwadi
Nearby Forts: Visapur fort, Tung, Tikona fort.
Whatsapp Updates / Email Updates
Step 1 : Save number in your phone book -Treks and Trails Mumbai - 8828004949
Step 2 : Ping us your name and email
Congratulations you will receive regular event updates now
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/TreksandTrailsMumbai
Twitter - https://twitter.com/treksNtrailsInd
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/treksandtrails/
Snap Chat - ttreksandtrail9