TreksandTrails Invites you to Velas Turtle Festival Friday 22nd -23rd March 2014 to witness the Turtle hatchlings
It is that time of the year again- when a tiny grey head pokes out of the golden sand and takes a breath of the fresh salty air of the Arabian Sea. It is a culmination of a lengthy process, which started when, under the cover of darkness, its mother emerged out from the rolling waves to lay her heap of 100-120 eggs on the sandy beach. Oblivious to the world that awaits it outside its sandy cocoon, the tiny hatchling is soon followed by a hundred others, all crawling their way towards the brightest lights on the horizon- in this case, the sea. TreksandTrails, invites you to this journey from the nest to the sea which draws oohs and aahs from tourists- each of whom is gathered on the shore to witness this miracle of Nature. The location is Velas, a remote village in Mandangad taluka in Ratnagiri district.
Velas is a small fishing village on the western coast of Maharashtra. About 220km away from Mumbai, a little over a hundred houses on the cost of the Arabian sea.
Conservation at Velas:
TreksandTrails, appreciates the great efforts been undertaken by local NGO-Sahyadri Nisarg Mitra has borne fruit and since 2002, each year all the nests on the western coast at Velas, Murud, Harnai, Dapoli and other sites are carefully protected and conserved to ensure both natural and human threats are reduced.
All the eggs laid on the beach are collected and placed in a common hatchery which is barricaded from all sides and is guarded throughout the day. Each morning at 0700 and evening at 1730-1800 the baskets covering the lid are open to check if any turtles have hatched, if they have they are counted and carefully laid in another basket and taken closer to the water. They are then gently placed on the sand and they slowly make their way to the water. Their first baby steps are not only endearing to watch but also important if it is a female, as she records in her memory the site of her birth only to return here after 15 years to lay her eggs.
• It is a conservation site visit and not a picnic.
• No plastic, don't litter or shout when the turtles are released.
• Wear sensible clothes, although it is a beach the locals are conservative and might take offence at beach attire suitable elsewhere.
• The route to the beach passes through a dirt track built over the mangroves, in the evenings it gets pitch dark and there are no street lights. Do carry a torch with you for such emergencies.
• Photography WITHOUT FLASH only.
• Turtle Hatchling is a Natural phenomenon and not guaranteed. Thou efforts are made to increase our chances thru this programme.
Website for more info http://www.snmcpn.org/
Travel by private non A/C vehicle. Pick up from centralized locations only.
Outing Duration: 2 Night and 2 Days.
Departure from Borivali station(E)
Friday 23rd March 2014 by 22:30 hours.
Itinerary 22nd March 2014
05:00 Early morning arrival at Velas.
06:00 Visit to Velas beach for turtle sighting
10:30 Visit to Batok fort
17:00 Visit to beach for turtle sightings
Day 2: 23rd March 2014
06:00 Visit to Velas beach for turtle sighting
10:30 Depart for Harihareshwar temple.
14:30 Depart for Mumbai
Trip contribution: Rs. 1850.00 per person.
• Accommodation in a typical Konkani house/dormitory.
• All Veg meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
• Sightseeing as per the schedule if any.
• Expertise & Guide Charges
• Ferryboat charges.
• All entry tickets and permissions
• Provision of primary first aid only.
• Trek and Trail India administration charges if any.
Cancellation and Refund:
1. If cancellation done prior to 15 days of outing 75% will be refunded.
2. If done prior to 10 days of outing 50% will be refunded
3. After that no refund will be provided.
Maximum batch size is 25 travellers. First Come First Serve Basis.
List of things required:
1. Haversack and Windcheater/sweater to keep hands free. Please carry a personal photo ID.
2. Water Bottle 3lts. Please carry a personal sweater, extra bed sheets, sleeping bag.
3. A good torch and extra batteries.
4. Camera (Optional), Personal medicines.
5. Please avoid wearing Gold and other jewelry (at own risk).
6. Electoral or Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D powder some snacks & biscuits
7. Good trekking shoes, Extra Pair of Clothes, Plastic bag to keep clothes dry.
1. Smoking and drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited.
2. Group leader decision will be final and binding.
3. Treks and Trails India reserves all the right to change/deviate/cancel the plans without prior notice
Whatsapp Updates / Email Updates
Step 1 : Save number in your phone book -Treks and Trails Mumbai - 8828004949
Step 2 : Ping us your name and email
Congratulations you will receive regular event updates now
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/TreksandTrailsMumbai
Twitter - https://twitter.com/treksNtrailsInd
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/treksandtrails/
Snap Chat - ttreksandtrail9