FireFlies Trek to Rajmachi June 11th and 12th 2016
As we await the upcoming monsoon season first showers we welcome the season of fireflies. Western Ghats jungles will soon twinkle with small light, this period is known as the mating season for fireflies.
Who are these beautiful Fireflies?
Fireflies or lightning bugs make light within their bodies. This process is called bioluminescence and is shared by many other organisms, mostly sea-living or marine organisms. Fireflies light up to attract a mate. To do this, the fireflies contain specialized cells in their abdomen that helps to create light.
Rajmachi Fort has two stronghold forts, Shreewardhan and Manaranjan. Visible from Mumbai Pune Expressway on right hand side of Borghat. It is a famous spot for trekking. Rajmachi Fort is 16 km trekking distance from Lonavala there are many routes to reach Rajmachi Fort. We will be camping at Udhewadi Village located below the two Balekilla. Surronded by huge waterfalls during monsoon you can view the beautiful kataldhar waterfall from Shreewardhan Fort. Rajmachi Fort has many caves used by trekkers for night halt. Pre monsoon the forest around the forts is glowing with Fireflies at night. You can also trek towards Kondane Caves during monsoon and enjoy the beautiful caves and waterfall. Rajmachi Fort is located strategically overlooking Borghat an historical trade route.
Places to visit at Rajmachi Fort
- Udaysagar Lake constructed in 1712
- Temple of Mahadev by the side of Udaysagar Lake
- Temple of Bahiroba on the plateau near Shreewardhan and Manaranjan
- Fireflies pre monsoon only
- Kataldhar waterfall during monsoon only
Difficulty Level: Medium level
Endurance Level: High
Height of fort: 2710 ft approx.
Nearest City Lonavala
Rs 1200 per head (return by Jeep till Lonavala)
We meet at 17:15 Hrs. (sharp) at Lonavala Railway station on Saturday
From Mumbai you can board: Sinhagad Express 11009 - Mumbai To Pune Junction
17:30 Auto rickshaw ride from Lonavala ST bus depot till Tungarli dam base.
18:00 Tungarli Dam
18:30 Walk/Hike from Tungarli Dam to Rajmachi - 4hrs/12 kms
22:00 Reach base village. - Udhewadi
We watch Fireflies on our way towards Rajmachi Village
(Fireflies can be seen while trekking and at base village )
06:30 Wake Up
08:00 Manoranjan fort and Shrivardhan fort exploration.
13:30 Leave for Lonavala Railway Station by Tata Sumo
15:00 Trek Ends with Happy Memories
- Travel cost from Lonavala to Tungarli dam base on Saturday
- Meals 1 Veg Dinner / 1 Veg Breakfast / 1 Veg lunch
- TreksandTrails India charges
- Travel cost from Udhewadi village to Lonavala railway station on Sunday.
- All kinds of Extra Meals / Drinks Ordered.
- Insurance, tips, Porters, bottled mineral water, aerated drinks etc.
- Any kind of personal expenses.
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like road blocks, bad weather.
50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 3 days prior to the event date
No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days. No show No Refund.
Things to carry
- Haversack to keep hands free, water bottle 3lts.
- Extra Pair of clothes.
- Ready to eat food, like plum cakes, chocolate bar, some snacks & biscuits etc.
- Electoral or GluconD powder.
- Personal medicines. Sun protection cap, googles, some ready to eat food like plumb cake, biscuit, fruits.
- Torch with extra batteries, bed sheet, sleeping bags, personal tea mugs.
TreksandTrails, India rules:
- Smoking and drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited. Trek leader’s decision will be final and binding.
- TreksandTrails reserves all the right to change/deviate/cancel the plans without prior notice.
- Telephonic confirmation is mandatory, if unable to contact us, please send us a text message.
- Sleeveless, low neck, figure hugging shirts/tops, short pants, hot pants not allowed. Please do not carry handbags or jolas or sling bags.
Disclosures on Medical Conditions and Event Risk Profile
It is mandatory that you visit your personal physician before enrolling for the trip if you suffer from any illness of any kind and disclose the same and your medical history to the organisers of the trip so that best possible arrangements can be carried out post approval. As organisers of the trip, we will be responsible for providing basic first aid throughout the trip. In case of unexpected mishaps or accidents, we will arrange for the injured patron to be taken to the nearest medical hospital wherever possible. The medical expenses will have to be borne by the patrons themselves. The cost mentioned above is for Indian citizens ONLY payable in Indian Rupees.
We recommend you to please take care while walking / climbing / trekking. Wearing of any valuables, ornaments, jewellery etc. is prohibited. Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events, you are at your own risk. Organisers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner. We should strictly follow the code of conduct, to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or outside. Do not misinterpret it as a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR. We all are going for an adventurous and interesting trekking expedition. Note, this trek route does not have any fixed/proper/appropriate washrooms or bathrooms.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can we drive till Rajmachi village?
How far it is from Mumbai/Pune?
3 hours drive from Mumbai, 125 km approx.
Can we get our car till campsite?
Yes close to the campsite. Its 15 minutes walking from there.
Number of days required for this event?
2 days and 1 Night
Where can we park our cars?
Rajmachi Village Yes
Is there any parking charge?
Do you provide sleeping bags?
Sleeping bag: NO - For hygiene reasons we don't provide sleeping bags.
Note, this Camp Site does not have any fixed / proper / appropriate washrooms or bathrooms.
Provision for toilet tents will be made at Villagers House - eastern style commode.
Personal car parkings and car breakdown at owners risk - route will be provided via google maps
Accomodation on sharing basis Domitory
We have 60 - 40 % or more Male - Female ratios on our events
Kids below 15 with Parents supervision only
Food preference only Veg local cooked available
Limited phone connectivity available for most cellular services
Local jeeps used for Transport can accommodate 8 people
Registration against 100% upfront payment only on the spot payment not accepted
Normal well water shall be provided
No electricity. Please carry a power bank if requiredSummer Temperature Night 17- Day 39°C approx
Whatsapp Broadcast list regular update
Step 1 : Save number in your phone book -Treks and Trails Mumbai - 8828004949
Step 2 : Ping us your name and email
Congratulations you will receive regular event updates now
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/TreksandTrailsMumbai
Twitter - https://twitter.com/treksNtrailsInd
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/treksandtrails/
Snap Chat - ttreksandtrail9
Call / Whatsapp Treks and Trails Mumbai - 8828746865 / 8828004949 ( Monday to Saturday - 11 am to 7 pm only )